Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Ponies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler R. Springfield
Brazil
Georgia
flag msg tools
SO... I really like the ponies. And the only thing I like with them is the robots. What else goes well with them? The shapeshifter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they get bonuses for controlling more minions, it would be pretty funny to combine them with Innsmouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ponies are one of the strongest factions in the game due to their high numbers and "easy" spam. As long as your opponent does not have to much destruction you can generally run them with most things.

Last night we had a player who played Pony + Orcs and that did quite well. I'd say anything that has better Minions vs actions would go well with them. Bear Calvary is another that comes to mind, or even werewolves for some quick base boosts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pony Shapeshifters is one of my top decks.

I also have done well with Pony Tornadoes and Pony Steampunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Ponies are amazing. Using Tenacious Z to trigger pony buffs is clutch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Ponies and Kitties are pretty awesome too.
Ponies and Zombies will likely work too (haven't tried it yet)

I agree with the above, they are a very strong faction. Also that surprise herding card that moves all of your minions to a single base is game ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
surprised no one has mentioned halfling ponies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran two tournaments at GenCon, and though I haven't written up the tournament reports yet, Plants / Ponies got 2nd place in one and Zombies / Ponies won the World Championship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponies want extra minions cards, so zombies tend to be the best choice.

Elder Things are good too (card draw and minion power). Cats work well (card draw and getting extra "friends"). Clerics also help with card recovery.

Fairies and wizards are also good with some card manipulation. TT can work okay enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Guazzelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
I think Mythic Horses are one of the strongest factions in Smash Up, so far.
But look, i played Zombies/Horses a few times, and i know, you do have to choose the best time for play "Tenacious Z", because this combination lack in Specials card's.
I do like to play Super Spy/Horses because you can control your deck and get the best of "Theaching Power", and if you have "Mole" in play, you can always win with a "play extra minion" action being played as a Special Card.

Theaching Power - Special: Before a base scores, reveal one card from your deck for each of your minions there. Play one minion you reveal as an extra minion there. Return the rest of the cards to the top of the deck in any order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xLeke wrote:
Theaching Power - Special: Before a base scores, reveal one card from your deck for each of your minions there. Play one minion you reveal as an extra minion there. Return the rest of the cards to the top of the deck in any order.

That card is exactly what won the World Championship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
The Ponies go very well with any faction that swarms, adds power, has search/draw, has powerful minions, allows recursion of minions, gets a bonus from having 2 or fewer cards in hand, or allows extra minion plays. Perhaps the better question is: what factions do NOT go well with Ponies? (My best guesses are that Giant Ants, Vampires, Minions of Cthulhu, and Ignobles don't have particular synergy with Ponies.)

I usually suggest Ponies to new players, not because they are strong, but because the strategy is very obvious and the faction is fun.

As a side note, if I was in the unfortunate position of playing AGAINST ponies, I would probably use Dragons, Steampunks, Kitty Cats, and/or something with significant destruction. I might try to out-swarm them, but that's a gamble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.