12 Posts

Medici» Forums » Rules

Subject: Basic scoring question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I purchased the Grail Games version of Medici. I think I played incorrectly the first time, resetting the commodity counters between days. I am still unsure about scoring, specifically with regards to the use of the pyramid or triangle sections (I.e. Commodity tracking) of the board.
1. Do players start with their commodity pieces on the lowest of the seven rungs, or BELOW the seven rungs. (Grail games rules imply the lowest of the seven.) In other words is the top bonus awarded for having 7 of each commodity, or for having eight?
2. My understanding is that the commodity counters are left in position (on the steps) between 'days'. My understanding is also that the determination as to how the scoring leaders in each commodity are awarded, is based on that day alone. (For example, say Dan has 3 cloth cards on day 1, and Sue has 1 cloth card. Then on day 2, he has no cloth in his boat and she has 1. Even though he has a 2day running total of 3, and her 2day running total is 2, she gets the first place bonus for day 2). If so, with the exception of the first day, the pyramid can't be used as an aid to see who gets the 'first place' points for the day.

Is this correct??

Addendum: as I reread the rules, I considered the possibility that the commodity scoring for day 2 and 3 is for the leader in the running total. But if so, I question why the track doesn't have more rungs. (Eg. It is possible that by day 3 a player may have had a total of 12 or theoretically 21 of any given commodity..... Yet track stops much earlier. 21 would of course only be possible if playing the 2 player game and
statisticaly very unlikely..,)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1:

In previous versions of the game, there were 8 rungs. In this one, there are 7. To be honest, I've taught it using the old rules (ie the tokens aren't put on one of the 7 rungs until a player has got one or more of those commodity cards at the end of the day. The tokens start on the edge of the triangle)

I don't know why it has changed (maybe to increase the likelyhood of getting the +5, +10 and +20 bonuses). I'd be happy to play it either way.

2:

End of each day for commodities is as follows:

- Raise players' markers for each card they have in a commodity.
- Score each commodity in turn, awarding points to 1st place, 2nd and so on. This is based on the position of the markers on the board only and is not determined by the cards they have gained on that day alone. In your example, Dan would still be in 1st place, and Sue in 2nd (ignoring other players)

Just to be clear, the players' markers in the triangles on the board never go down and are never reset. (Well, we do reset them after 3 days because most people want to have a 2nd game of it pretty quickly after the first!)

As for the addendum, you are removing cards at random each day, and collecting and shuffling the deck well before you do so? Note that the removed cards shouldn't be seen by anyone.

Oh and in the unlikely event that one player is allowed to gain 7 in a commodity early, it just means that those cards have little value for that player from then on. Only useful in gaining the 'ship' bonus for highest sum of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
1. Do players start with their commodity pieces on the lowest of the seven rungs, or BELOW the seven rungs. (Grail games rules imply the lowest of the seven.) In other words is the top bonus awarded for having 7 of each commodity, or for having eight?

The rules that I downloaded from Grail Games say the commodity markers start on the 7th level. But the actual physical copy of the rules I got in the game contradict that. They say:
Quote:
To begin the game, all players place one of their coloured counters on the bottom (8th) level of each of the five commodity tracks, on the gold frame (E).

The picture is different too, showing the counters on the gold frame as the text says, whereas in the online rules it shows them on the 7th level.

Presumably the online rules are an older, not-quite-final version. I'd go with the rules in the box, especially as they match up better with earlier editions of the game.

Ben's already answered your second question, but briefly: the rules say "the player who is in the highest position on each commodity track is awarded 10 florins." And it never says to reset the counters, so it seems clear that it's based on the total you've gained in the whole game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the intent of this new version was to do a rules revision, so when in doubt I'd pick a rules interpretation that is consistent with at least one of the previously published versions (I know that those don't all agree.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got it --- I think. No resetting of the counters, and all scoring is based on the position of the counters in the ladder.
But this still leaves one question (somewhat) unanswered: Getting 9 of any particular commodity after three rounds is well within statistical possibility. What happens when one is at the highest rung?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you are at the highest rung (and this is not uncommon,) your interest in that commodity drops precipitously. As a result, it's often possible for a second player to go all the way to the top of that same commodity, since once the first player is full up, the competition for that commodity often vanishes.

(Ben mentioned this at the end of his post up thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
Got it --- I think. No resetting of the counters, and all scoring is based on the position of the counters in the ladder.
But this still leaves one question (somewhat) unanswered: Getting 9 of any particular commodity after three rounds is well within statistical possibility. What happens when one is at the highest rung?

If you're at the highest rung, you simply don't move up any more, even when you get another of commodity of the same type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I don't think the intent of this new version was to do a rules revision, so when in doubt I'd pick a rules interpretation that is consistent with at least one of the previously published versions (I know that those don't all agree.)

I can upgrade that to a certainty that it's not intended to make a major change such as of the number of steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grail Games
Australia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, sorry for the confusion.

Don't reset commodity counters between days. But do shuffle up all the cards and set up the deck again.

The number of steps on the tracks is the same as with all previous editions. It's just that now, the first step looks prettier. If the online rulebook you are reading does not agree with this, it is wrong and must be removed. The rulebook in the game mentions and illustrates where the commodity counters must start on the tracks.

Thanks for playing and thanks everyone for helping out with the questions

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
GrailGames wrote:
Hi, sorry for the confusion.

Don't reset commodity counters between days. But do shuffle up all the cards and set up the deck again.

The number of steps on the tracks is the same as with all previous editions. It's just that now, the first step looks prettier. If the online rulebook you are reading does not agree with this, it is wrong and must be removed. The rulebook in the game mentions and illustrates where the commodity counters must start on the tracks.

Thanks for playing and thanks everyone for helping out with the questions

David

Thanks David! As I said, the rulebook on the Grail Games website contradicts this. But the physical rulebook in my (Grail Games edition) copy agrees with what you are saying. So yes, it seems you should probably replace the online rulebook with the correct version.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SO does that mean that if you have 9 of a certain commodity and your friend has 8 (at the end of the 3rd day ----- NOT AT ALL likely, I know), that you DON'T get the bonus for having more of that commodity -- in other words, it's scored as a tie???

For the record, I recognize that this is extremely unlikely to occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not too uncommon, Ed, but you're right. If both players are at the top of the track, they are tied and share points, even if one had an extra commodity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.