Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody did a study on the spreading of misinformation online. I found the results interesting and not surprising in the least.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/01...

Link to paper from study:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/01/02/1517441113.full...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't love having to subscribe so fuck whatever message they are pedaling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Subscribe to what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Subscribe to what?
When I click on your link it just waits a few seconds and then redirects ti a subscription page.

https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/acqbeta2/?prompt=1&prom...:blog:the-intersect%20-%2013096%20-%2020160107%20-%20an-hour-by-hour-look-at-how-a-conspiracy-theory-becomes-truth-on-facebook§ion=wp%20-%20lifestyle&prev=&geo=&ctype=blog&signedin=logged%20out&mcount=5&sub=0&ismetered=1&destination=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/01...:blog:the-intersect%20-%2013096%20-%2020160107%20-%20an-hour-by-hour-look-at-how-a-conspiracy-theory-becomes-truth-on-facebook§ion=wp%20-%20lifestyle&prev=&geo=&ctype=blog&signedin=logged%20out&mcount=5&sub=0&sub=0&ismetered=1&destination=https:%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fthe-intersect%2Fwp%2F2016%2F...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Don't worry, they are thousands of sites who will give you pretty legit info for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Don't worry, they are thousands of sites who will give you pretty legit info for free.
I know, that is why I say fuck their site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could read the actual study that I provided a link to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an overview for the lazy:
Quote:
Step 1: An individual or page posts a piece of conspiracy news or information, introducing it to their social network.

Step 2: That conspiracy is voluntarily shared and propagated by individuals who agree with the narrative — largely within the first two hours, but again at the 20-hour mark.

Step 3: The conspiracy gradually branches throughout the network over a period of days, its speed slowing but its audience growing continuously. Within a period of two weeks or so, the theory has been adopted by large portions of the community — and once they’ve been adopted, they’re “highly resistant to correction.”

In fact, as this group of researchers has found before, attempts to correct conspiracy theories often have the opposite effect: They make conspiracists grip their beliefs all the more strongly. And while this particular study looked at conspiracy theories, specifically, its findings also apply to misinformation of other kinds: fake news, hoaxes, that sort of thing.

Quote:
The researchers find that:

Users tend to aggregate in communities of interest, which causes reinforcement and fosters confirmation bias, segregation, and polarization. This comes at the expense of the quality of the information and leads to proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust, and paranoia.

That’s not all. Because users create these walled communities themselves — choosing to read only news that agrees with their biases, or unfriending people who challenge their socio-political views — there’s not that much Facebook can do to remedy the situation. Facebook itself came to that conclusion last year, when the company’s data scientists found that echo chambers were born less of algorithmic bias than our own intolerance and illiberality.

The proposed solution:
Quote:
For the curious, here’s a first step: If you have conspiracy theorists, fabulists or extreme ideologues in your social network, you actually shouldn’t unfriend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a double dose of 'pretty legit". Both in real life and here in RSP.

The best is my window washer that loves to tell me about direct energy weapons and the Twin Towers, he's a Sandy Hooker and if I let him go long enough it starts getting a bit racisty when he gets to the Bavarian Illuminati and the Rothschild family.

I had to explain to him the Onion, when it was still on paper. He was entirely bewildered by a print newspaper that would print things that weren't "true".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:

The best is my window washer that loves to tell me about direct energy weapons and the Twin Towers, he's a Sandy Hooker and if I let him go long enough it starts getting a bit racisty when he gets to the Bavarian Illuminati and the Rothschild family.

I had to explain to him the Onion, when it was still on paper. He was entirely bewildered by a print newspaper that would print things that weren't "true".

Which source is scarier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

Which source is scarier?

From a live person right from their word hole.

This guys has kids. When they grow up they will either believe every pretty legit piece of nonsense he says or they will despise him.

Scary either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's why polarization is so damaging to society.

Too many people believe what those in their echo chamber say, even when misinformed, but reject correct information when it doesn't fit their narrative.

And, in the end, we have people (many of which are quite intelligent) that are misinformed on many things but are quite confident that they are well informed. It's a dangerous combination.

It's always happened, but now with social media, internet, etc, there are so many ways to stay in ones echo chamber - amplifying the problem.

I have to admit, that the conclusion does fit my narrative in this respect so I will have to read the data again more closely to see if their conclusion accurately matches there data before accepting it.

First paragraph of conclusion from the paper is below (from 2nd link in OP):
Quote:

Digital misinformation has become so pervasive in online social media that it has been listed by the WEF as one of the main threats to human society. Whether a news item, either substantiated or not, is accepted as true by a user may be strongly affected by social norms or by how much it coheres with the user’s system of beliefs (32, 33). Many mechanisms cause false information to gain acceptance, which in turn generate false beliefs that, once adopted by an individual, are highly resistant to correction (34–37). In this work, using extensive quantitative analysis and data-driven modeling, we provide important insights toward the understanding of the mechanism behind rumor spreading. Our findings show that users mostly tend to select and share content related to a specific narrative and to ignore the rest. In particular, we show that social homogeneity is the primary driver of content diffusion, and one frequent result is the formation of homogeneous, polarized clusters. Most of the times the information is taken by a friend having the same profile (polarization)––i.e., belonging to the same echo chamber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Styro wrote:

The proposed solution:
Quote:
For the curious, here’s a first step: If you have conspiracy theorists, fabulists or extreme ideologues in your social network, you actually shouldn’t unfriend them.

I actually love that. I kinda know the liberal loonies on facebook, but I don't know enough crazy conservatives unless a friend of mine likes that shit. I have no Alex Jones fans. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
slatersteven wrote:
batman wrote:

Subscribe to what?
Their 'issues' "issued" 'issuing' whatever current, or past "take your picayune"-peccadillo of THUS! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
One of the first things I discovered when I got into journalism was how resistant people were to stories that went against their ideology or their culture. People want stories, video, and whatnot that validates their viewpoint. They really don't want to learn anything that runs counter to that viewpoint, which, if you think about it, pretty well defeats the purpose of journalism in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

Which source is scarier?

From a live person right from their word hole.

This guys has kids. When they grow up they will either believe every pretty legit piece of nonsense he says or they will despise him.

Scary either way.

Trump Jr for POTUS 2028!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
rcbevco wrote:
Trump Jr for POTUS 2028!
He's already "up too" the POS portion of that! The numeral 665 upon his cranium, indicated "not ready yet" as well, so, by then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
The thumbs system here more or less provides a way to echo what a person has written, so looked at that way, it's usually not too hard to see who belongs to which echo chamber as a thread develops.

It also kind of explains why there's a thumbs up but no thumbs down button, I mean, how do you un-echo something? Although I can see how it would be kind of rough to see exactly how many people disagree with something you might write.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.