BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Transitioning into the Ameritrash. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some people hate that name...sorry. I know others don't mind it and embrace it too soooo... *shrug*

Anyway! I never really considered myself to be a Euro gamer (considered myself more eclectic, to be honest), but I find new euros really great and easy to pick up, and sometimes even too simplistic. When my boyfriend and I tried to play Elder Sign this past week, however, we ran into problems. The mechanisms, the amount of rules, the sheer difference, was overwhelming to us. To be fair, I did have a bit of a headache and wasn't at my strongest cognition-wise, but it was no much more intense than I expected. We did win, but I'm not convinced we were playing it right.

I chose Elder Sign because I've wanted to try Arkham/Eldritch Horror, and I'd heard it was easier, but I feel I may have jumped too fast. What would you recommend I do to make the transition easier?

(I still love euros, but I want everything!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I also generally find ameritrash games harder to play because of the (usual) plethora of rules, and I think the main thing to do to help with that is some preparation. Did you crack open the box and immediately start to play, or did someone read the rules in their entirety first? Watching a short gameplay video will also help with understanding the general flow of the game (especially if there's lots of upkeep and fiddliness).

alexangiraffe wrote:
When my boyfriend and I tried to play Elder Sign this past week, however, we ran into problems. The mechanisms, the amount of rules, the sheer difference, was overwhelming to us. To be fair, I did have a bit of a headache and wasn't at my strongest cognition-wise, but it was no much more intense than I expected. We did win, but I'm not convinced we were playing it right.

For Elder Sign in particular, I found the rulebook not particularly well-written, with the example of the final showdown with Cthulhu being especially bad as it doesn't explain his power properly. However, vanilla Elder Sign (without expansions) has a reputation for being fairly easy, so you very well could have played everything perfectly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I also generally find ameritrash games harder to play because of the (usual) plethora of rules, and I think the main thing to do to help with that is some preparation. Did you crack open the box and immediately start to play, or did someone read the rules in their entirety first? Watching a short gameplay video will also help with understanding the general flow of the game (especially if there's lots of upkeep and fiddliness).

alexangiraffe wrote:
When my boyfriend and I tried to play Elder Sign this past week, however, we ran into problems. The mechanisms, the amount of rules, the sheer difference, was overwhelming to us. To be fair, I did have a bit of a headache and wasn't at my strongest cognition-wise, but it was no much more intense than I expected. We did win, but I'm not convinced we were playing it right.

For Elder Sign in particular, I found the rulebook not particularly well-written, with the example of the final showdown with Cthulhu being especially bad as it doesn't explain his power properly. However, vanilla Elder Sign (without expansions) has a reputation for being fairly easy, so you very well could have played everything perfectly!

Yeah, we just cracked the box and tried to do it. It was just the two of us, and we are used to just being able to do games on the spot. The rulebook honestly was daunting though, and I think that's part of the reason it was overwhelming - we expected to open it, read the rules, and be ready to play within 20-30 minutes which is our usual and was...not the case. I think we still started at that point but were feeling more like ???? the whole time. Watching a video is definitely something we thought might be helpful next time, so that seconding of that thought is reassuring.

Also glad to know that the rulebook isn't really well written, and that it actually is easy. We were very confused by the whole experience, as we didn't really understand the game, but still beat it quite easily..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
I know some people hate that name

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Quote:
What would you recommend I do to make the transition easier?

Is it just you and your boyfriend or are you gaming with others?

There's definitely some options if it's just the two of you (Snit's Revenge is one of my standard recommendations for people looking to explore the simpler end of 2p Ameritrash) although I can never keep up with whether it's currently in print or not), but you arguably won't get the full AT experience without at least 4 people. Especially the negotiation/PvP/backstabbing end of the spectrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isn't Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island a great transition game? A worker placement that isn't simply converting X to Y to acquire Z.

Oh wait it kind of is. But the theme masks all that

If Elder Sign has too many rules, avoid Arkham Horror. Maybe get someone to show you Eldritch Horror.

But RC might be your ticket. You could also check out something like RoboRally. Not all Ameritrash games are Cthulu, Zombie themed nor are they all dice fests. Just most of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a "rules that you can easily play wrong" thread at bgg elder sign board which helped me big time, check it just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I consider myself an eclectic gamer as well, I'm willing to play anything at least once and my favorites are on both ends of the AT/EG spectrum.

For AT, lots of small rules is almost the norm, especially for games by Fantasy Flight Games. That doesn't mean they're bad though! I'd say skip Elder Sign - it is nowhere near the experience AH/EH give - and chin up and dive into the glorious messy stereotype of AT that is Arkham. Best if you do it by watching videos beforehand like other suggested and trying it out at a friends' or something, instead of blind buying it. Best thing about AT games is they tend to tell a story so even if the gameplay may be a bit off, or you're not achieving the goals you'd wish, you can focus on the story unfolding in front of you.

If you want to try games that are somewhat on-the-fence, I liked these:
Smallworld- all direct conflict yet no dice yet caked in a funny theme
Scythe - mix of fighting, resource gathering and character encounters, also gorgeous art. Not as complex rule-wise as might seem at first glance.
Cyclades - a bidding game, yet you get to control troops and fleets and mythical monsters
Kemet - at its core an engine building game where you acquire upgrade upon upgrade, but you get your resources by fighting dudes on a map.
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork if you can get it - area control but no combat, secret objectives, hand management. Sadly out of print now.
Blood Rage / Chaos in the Old World - Somewhat similar games of area control with combat and victory points, in one you get dealt asymmetric factions, in the other you create asymmetry by drafting power cards. Choose mostly by theme, they're both good

None of the above are classic AT - no dicefests, no zombies etc. Yet still they feature heavy theming and a substantial element of randomness (save for Scythe perhaps).

For ultimate AT experience, look into Flying Frog Productions games, personally I only own Last Night on Earth, but I understand they're all in the similar vein of recreating the b-movie feeling in the chosen theme. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise, Zombicide is much more of a shoot-em-up action movie and Dead of Winter a more abstract survival drama, while Last Night is the golden middle path :-) Bonus points for being just as well playable with 2 as with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is it just you and your boyfriend or are you gaming with others?

We play the most, just because we both have a membership to the local boardgames café, and have since June (just until the end of August though!) so we have the most chances to play together. My roommate does join us a reasonable amount too, and she's game for most stuff. We do have other friends that play, but tend to be more into the easier stuff, and not as much into the hobby.

We will have to look at Snit's Revenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

(Snit's Revenge is one of my standard recommendations for people looking to explore the simpler end of 2p Ameritrash)

Never heard of that, but seeing it's from Steve Jackson games should probably be cause for caution... they're the penny dreadfuls of board games - cheap, shiny, interesting at first sight but ultimately low on quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is about as pure and simple as it gets. Survive! Escape from Atlantis is a fun lark. I'm a big fan of Kemet. Arcadia Quest is a good one.

There's been a lot of bleeding between Ameritrash and Euros the last few years. A lot. There's very few pure examples of either at this point, especially pure Ameritrash. So something like Cyclades or Dominant Species or Chaos in the Old World which frequently get labeled Ameritrash have feet firmly in Euro. I don't think of Scythe as Ameritrash at all.

If I just wanted a flavor, I'd go King of Tokyo. It's pretty cheap. It's very simple. And it's about as pure of a dice chucker, high emotions, screaming kind of game as you'll get. It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
King of Tokyo is about as pure and simple as it gets. Survive! Escape from Atlantis is a fun lark. I'm a big fan of Kemet. Arcadia Quest is a good one.

There's been a lot of bleeding between Ameritrash and Euros the last few years. A lot. There's very few pure examples of either at this point, especially pure Ameritrash. So something like Cyclades or Dominant Species or Chaos in the Old World which frequently get labeled Ameritrash have feet firmly in Euro. I don't think of Scythe as Ameritrash at all.

If I just wanted a flavor, I'd go King of Tokyo. It's pretty cheap. It's very simple. And it's about as pure of a dice chucker, high emotions, screaming kind of game as you'll get. It's awesome.

We've actually played KoT and Survive! Survive is great, and we did like King of Tokyo, but we tend to like a little more strategy to our games and didn't find it scratched all our itches. We like Survive, but it's so simple to learn that our casual gamer friends have latched onto it, and we are bored of it. We loved it at first though.

These are great suggestions, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Registrau wrote:
There's a "rules that you can easily play wrong" thread at bgg elder sign board which helped me big time, check it just in case.

I'm suspecting the answer will be everything for us . Thanks - I'll head over and check it out now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

(Snit's Revenge is one of my standard recommendations for people looking to explore the simpler end of 2p Ameritrash)

Never heard of that, but seeing it's from Steve Jackson games should probably be cause for caution... they're the penny dreadfuls of board games - cheap, shiny, interesting at first sight but ultimately low on quality.

Ya know, Steve Jackson Games has produced many, many, many great games over the years in addition to some of the ones that are less popular on this particular site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Try looking at Area Control games. A lot of them have heavy theme and good strategy. Dune (Rex: Final Days), Dominant Species, Small World, Kemet, Cyclades, El Grande, Chaos in the Old World, Lords of Vegas, Shogun, are all examples of games that incorporate some variability and chance, have a strong theme, and are still pretty strategic. May be what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Y
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Mashpotassium wrote:

alexangiraffe wrote:

The Elder Sign episode of Tabletop is helpful and entertaining, plus you get the whole Felicia Day/Tentacles scene. That episode was what enticed me to buy Elder Sign in the first place and it is now a favorite with my family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4nSpV2n4k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:

Not only do I agree with others that SJG have produced some genuinely great games as well as some dross, Snit's Revenge massively predates them picking up the publishing rights anyway.

It was originally a pull out from Dragon, later picked up by TSR.

Even if you don't like Steve Jackson's designs in general, it would be unwise to write off all the Tom Wham stuff because of that. The company have very little influence on them, it's Tom alone that designs those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - A lot of theme, buy not a very heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go 'full-Glorantha', ameritrash at it's brashest. Though if Tropic Thunder taught us anything, it's you should never go full-retard, haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole idea of Ameritrash (Love the term) is theme.

Pick a game that has a history/background/story you like. Chances are you'll like it no matter what.

Edit: Oh, and Welcome! You'll have much more fun now. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
The whole idea of Ameritrash (Love the term) is theme.

Pick a game that has a history/background/story you like. Chances are you'll like it no matter what.

Edit: Oh, and Welcome! You'll have much more fun now. devil

That's one of, but not whole.

I've never seen a better description of what it is than this geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16485/tribute-ameritrash

Some of the things are a little bit outdated but still very much more right than wrong even still. And a really entertaining read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies 1941

It's a lighter Axis & Allies game for those that haven't played A&A before.

Other than that, AT games require at least one rules read-through before sitting down to play. That's part of the fun of AT games. The big thick colorful rule book sitting on your desk at work impresses your friends and coworkers

So keep at it, and don't let this setback get you down. AT games may not have you sitting down to play as you quickly scan through the rule book, but you'll be rewarded handsomely for your time investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you tried Elder Sign, and have an interest in Ameritrash, please consider Mansions of Madness, 2nd edition.

Although not a perfect game by any means, it will introduce you to two of the biggest concepts in AT, namely theme (a spooky old mansion represented by great tiles) and plastic (wonderful miniatures of the monsters and your investigators).

Yes, you will need to own some kind of tablet (iPad, Android, Fire) or computer (which I'm sure you have), but that is just one more feature that makes this game so...Ameritrashy.

This might very well be the game that causes you to get that AT urge that will never go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to chime in that if it's mainly the two of you...Claustrophobiais an amazing game.

And if taking a Holy Man and a group of convicts down a hole to push demons back to hell isn't Ameritrash enough for you...I don't know what I can tell you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I would recommend, as you pick up A.T. games, is to plan to read the rules and/or watch YouTube vids before you plan on playing. Sometimes that can be daunting, and sometimes you'll have a rule book sitting on your coffee table for weeks waiting to be read (I have Scythe on my table right now), but it is worth it. Then, play a trial game or two to get the gist of the rules and mechanics and find out any "grey" areas that need clarification. I guess what I am saying is, allow the learning curve with these rules heavy games, because, most of the time, you'll probably have a hard time of unboxing and playing right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion Intrigue and Hinterlands are a great *entry* into Ameritrash. The rulebook is only a few pages and easy to understand (a rarity for Ameritrash), as it follows the game design paradigm of pushing the complexity onto the cards, and can be played as a two-player game.

IMO, Elder Sign isn't a gateway to Eldritch or Arkham Horror. Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, and Mansions of Madness use a Skill Check system (roll dice for success values), which Elder Sign doesn't use (roll dice to match icons).

If you're up for trying roleplaying games, get the free Call of Cthulhu Quickstart, which uses a simple skill check system (roll dice under your skill level to succeed) that's easier than most boardgames. Skim it and play the free Alone Against the Flame solo adventure. Then play it with your boyfriend (you read the paragraphs, and he makes the choices).

http://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/CHA23131%20Call...

http://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/Adventures/CHA2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.