Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

When you go into a battle with a multinational army group and you have an appointed commander, he commands the battle for all units even if there are more units than his command rating?

It seems obvious, but given that movement can cost more (i.e. 2 cps if two commanders needed to move two armies), I wondered if the same applied in combat. What if the overall commander has a rating of 4 and is commanding 6 units with the assistance of another commander? We use the main commander's combat value?

My doubts were raised after seeing that command rating limits the number of units used for sieges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Army Group only has one commander regardless the number of leaders/powers in the AG. All other leaders become staff officers and are essentially treated as an additional combat unit. The commander must be from the active player's power if he wants to move the AG. If he doesn't want to move it, then he can choose to leave a leader from another power in command.

I'm not sure what you're asking in the second question. The leader with a command rating of 4 cannot move 6 units unless there is another leader, thus forming an AG. It would then take 2 CP to move the AG from Duchy to Duchy. If the AG goes into battle, then only the commanding leader's battle rating is used, the staff officers are treated as a combat unit and only add 1 battle die.

Yes, you are correct, the command rating limits the number of combat units for a siege. An AG cannot lay siege, only an army can lay siege.

When attacked, you always defend with all units in a Duchy regardless of leader command ratings. However, leaders cannot attack with more units than their command rating. For example: An AG with a 3/6 commander and a 2/6 staff officer could attack with up to 12 combat units. Battle dice= 3(commander bat rating)+12(combat units)+1(staff officer)+1(national bonus)=17 dice. Also note that leaders can intercept/evade with a number of units up to their command rating. So if a 1/4 leader is stacked with 6 combat units and is attacked, he can only evade with four combat units.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you again. Yes this helps a lot! Sieges just appear to be a special case. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.