$60.00
$20.00
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting question came up was if someone plays Ray Gillette on someone who is holding Mallory Archer (the 8), that player takes Mallory, swaps it with the hidden identity card.

Does this count as a discard and they lose?

We concluded no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that doesn't qualify as a "discard"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No... a discard is when you put a card face-up in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Muir
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
Strangely, the version of the game that I just got has different text for Ray. The action in my version is to:

"Choose any player to discard their hand and replace it with the hidden identity card. Then replace the hidden card with a card from the deck."

In this case I believe that if you played it on someone holding Mallory then they would be out of the round and, unsatisfyingly, you wouldn't be able to finish the action.

Anyone know why the text was changed? I'm thinking of house ruling to use the rule described by the OP as it seems much more fun. Has anyone played it both ways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and played last night. My copy as well says "discard" and we played as it says therefore a discard was a discard - you lose with Mallory.

But, like mentioned above I also like the OP version. I'll have to test it out next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rulebook is very clear.

"When discarded, choose a player still in the round (you may choose yourself). That player discards their hand (do not apply the card's effect unless it's Malory Archer) and replaces it with the Hidden Identity Card. Replace the Hidden Identity Card with the top card of the deck."

The player you choose, discards the card in their hand FACE UP in front of them, and draws the Hidden Identity card into their hand, and REPLACES the hidden identity card from the deck. So yes they lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.