United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard from my store that the Janeway's repaint is no longer available to be ordered. Has it been removed from the list or has something else happened? It kind of felt odd to have two Fed releases in the same wave anyway, but I had hoped to grab some for the Borg tokens and other spare parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is related but my local retailer said there was a big Heroclix release pushed back because the the train transporting it derailed and caught fire. So the entire release has to be remade in China before it can go out. Some STAW stuff could have been on the same train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
I don't know if it is related but my local retailer said there was a big Heroclix release pushed back because the the train transporting it derailed and caught fire. So the entire release has to be remade in China before it can go out. Some STAW stuff could have been on the same train.

Here's the link to the story. Hopefully we are still on schedule - a lot of our new players want to get their hands on a Voyager.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/34850/heroclix-shipment-t...

EDIT: Just remembered that our local store just got in those new Spider-Man Heroclix, so maybe they are back on schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord. :/ I wonder what caused that, lack of communication of who was on what track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect at this point, there IS no real person in charge of STAW. It's extremely low priority and probably tasks are assigned as they become critical. When you're low man on the totem pole, things are going to slip through the cracks. The higher priority games which are making them more money are going to get the better designers and greater resources.

It's like an elderly tramp freighter moving between south sea islands with the overworked engineers barely keeping ahead of the more critical maintenance issues and with no money to buy spare parts. As long as it ekes out a profit for the owner, it will keep sailing. If you prefer a science fiction image, think Firefly. If you want to think Star Trek, the game is being run by the Kazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... Neither of those comparisons are really reassuring. Well, if the Enterprise-B gets released we'll have an expansion for each Prime timeline ship of the name except one. (Can't include the Ent-J, it's so far removed in the future, its not viable to field.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get an Enterprise B, I bet it will be a normal Excelsior model (even though that is not accurate) and I think it's even possible that the new packs will start coming without models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

It's like an elderly tramp freighter moving between south sea islands with the overworked engineers barely keeping ahead of the more critical maintenance issues and with no money to buy spare parts.

Freight Train not a freighter ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
If you get an Enterprise B, I bet it will be a normal Excelsior model (even though that is not accurate) and I think it's even possible that the new packs will start coming without models.

You need to be more optimistic things have.been going pretty good since the Borg fix. Is the game perfect, no, but it is far from the disaster you make it out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Retail packs without models? Perish the thought good sir. As for what model the B shall have, I'd be content to have a retail repaint release. I still need to hunt down Benteen's ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Retail packs without models? Perish the thought good sir. As for what model the B shall have, I'd be content to have a retail repaint release. I still need to hunt down Benteen's ship.

How much different is it to have prize packs without models? Even if they knock a buck or two off the price they probably still make more money. Any ship with 3 or more named ships could be a candidate. Just speculation but is it really so hard to believe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to believe? No. Desirability is the main concern here. If the retail packs are released without models, that kind of cuts down the potential for new players? I mean assuming someone just started with Wave 22, the Valiant would be their first shot at getting a Defiant class. Unless all older waves became available to be ordered again, having a retail release without the model feels like a poor business choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Just speculation but is it really so hard to believe?

You're being a little too hard on WK. They do keep in mind that certain ships are harder to find these days. That is why they are reprinting the more popular ones. Also keep in mind that they gave us a model for the Enterprise A which was a little unexpected. So they are paying attention. If they didn't care as you speculate they wouldn't bother doing repaints at all they would just print them just as they were on the first run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't expect non-model packs. I've just dabbled with this game and don't know the meta (I enjoy the core rules and play but I'm not much of a ccg builder). But such a card only model would allow the sale of faction specific decks to give each faction a set of cards to balance the game for faction pure play. As I said, I don't know the meta but I'd guess that faction pure play would currently favor the factions that have the most ships assuming those factions have the most faction pure card options. Am I way off base in that assumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the short answer is, the faction with the most ships has the more potential for variation in builds. Take a comparison of the Federation to Species 8472: One has many classes of ship, captains, and upgrades to choose from. The other has 3 unique captains and limited choices in upgrades. One notch up from 8472 is the Bajoran faction, better variety but only two classes to pick from.

So, yeah the largest faction would win out with adaptability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Hard to believe? No. Desirability is the main concern here. If the retail packs are released without models, that kind of cuts down the potential for new players? I mean assuming someone just started with Wave 22, the Valiant would be their first shot at getting a Defiant class. Unless all older waves became available to be ordered again, having a retail release without the model feels like a poor business choice.

Yeah, the idea of retail packs being released without ships doesn't make any sense given that the whole point of these repaints is to make earlier, now OOP ships available to new players in order to bring new blood into the game. Card packs without ships would definitely NOT accomplish this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ships are the big reason I buy any expansion. The ships themselves have use in this game and outside this game. Packs of cards tied only to this game? No thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
... the Bajoran faction, better variety but only two classes to pick from.

Four, actually.

I imagine you are forgetting the Lightship and that the retail Deep Space 9 is playable in tournaments, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another comparison that crossed my mind, with X-wing. Their prize support has never included models (not including advance release of retail items) and they are very sought after (considering the kits only cost retaillers $25, check out the prices individual cards go for)...

But it is a "miniatures" game, I would find it hard to believe a regular ship release would be cards only. Possible for a faction upgrade pack as mentioned above, but even with that, toy spaceships are what look good on shelves and you want players new and old to pick them up....

All supposition like this entire thread, but my 2p worth!

Back to what this thread was even about (no idea why the prize cards/models Q came about after the source of delays is made clear) The train crash is awful and at least gives a good reason for delays and deserves understanding from us fans.

Also, it may not affect EU distribution, so maybe it will arrive over this side first... Just saying...

EDIT: The article talks generally, but mostly centred on Heroclix and even that preorders are not affected and "majority of product is unaffected". It may not affect STAW at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty sure they will eventually re-release Voyager. There is no reason for not doing so - it has been sold out, it is a legendary ship and it is almost broken in design. New players will most likely get it over another toothless Romulan science vessel or such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sharitt
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
(Can't include the Ent-J, it's so far removed in the future, its not viable to field.)

I don't know, thematic balance isn't really a thing for WizKids. The Enterprise era ships shouldn't really be playable at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

Four, actually.

I imagine you are forgetting the Lightship and that the retail Deep Space 9 is playable in tournaments, too.

Good point. The Ferengi would have been a better choice then.

I kinda forgot the Lightship since it's so fragile, and DS9 for obvious reasons. ^^;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsharitt wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:
(Can't include the Ent-J, it's so far removed in the future, its not viable to field.)

I don't know, thematic balance isn't really a thing for WizKids. The Enterprise era ships shouldn't really be playable at all.

This is true, but the J is beyond the current scope of STO, so where would it have a place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
XanderF wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

Four, actually.

Good point. The Ferengi would have been a better choice then.

I kinda forgot the Lightship since it's so fragile, and DS9 for obvious reasons. ^^;

The Ferengi could have 4 classes if the designers give it some thought. There is the surplus B'Rel from TNG and there was a Ferengi ship in Enterprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
bsharitt wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

This is true, but the J is beyond the current scope of STO, so where would it have a place?

How is it beyond the scope?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.