Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shub Niggurath doubles the stars of the (assuming immediately) previously played card.

1. If I play it as my first card of the Round 2, will it double the card I kept from Round 1?

2. If I choose to keep it at the end of Round 2, will it double my previously kept card?

We played that it did, but just checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grill Murray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules have it that "if this is the first card you played in the first round there is no effect" so that would certainly suggest your interpretation is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The online rules say only "If this is the first card you played in this round."

Since the online version is marked, "A PREVIEW VERSION," maybe that means that the printed rules explicitly changed this to "in the first round" - which would more convincing.

I do think that the rules could be clearer if (1) this card's benefit applies when it is retained after the second round; (2) the card retained after the first round counts as "your previously played card" in this case.

What if this card is retained at the end of the first round - does it also provide no benefit?

PS - Question 1a (with the same answer as question 1) would be, "If I play it as my first card of the Round 3, will it double the card I kept from Round 2?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up question about Shubby:

Does it just double the previous card, or is it in addition to the previous card?

Let's say I have a card that gets me 7 points for majority, then play Shubby. At the end of the round I do have majority needed.

So which is correct:

a) Card scores 14, Shubby itself scores 0
b) Card scores 7, Shubby then scores 14

So, do I end with 14 or 21 points?

I think a) is correct, but can anyone clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is (a).

Shub Niggurath never scores points itself. In that sense, it is like King's Nest and The Roof of the World from Tides of Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question:

If I play the game for the first time, am stuck with exactly one rules question - that is if Shub Niggurath can be played on previously kept cards - I find exactly one thread with the same question, which happens to be the ONLY thread were there NEVER was a definitive answer, DO I THEN LOSE BY MADNESS ?!!??!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haydn Wright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Just a quick question really about this card...I'm not sure if the scoring double bonus only applies to a card that is actually scored. Does that make sense?
Any clarification would be welcome, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IratB wrote:
Hi Just a quick question really about this card...I'm not sure if the scoring double bonus only applies to a card that is actually scored. Does that make sense?
Any clarification would be welcome, thanks.

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

Are you asking about the case in which you play Shub Niggurath after playing Dreamlands (the only other card that cannot score)?

I would say Shub Niggurath provides no benefit in that case.

Similarly if it is played after a card that could score but doesn't.

For example, you might play Shub Niggurath after Azathoth. Azathoth gives 3 points for each Great Old One you have. If you have no Great Old Ones, Azathoth gives 0 points, and Shub Niggurath would provide no benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haydn Wright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes I was thinking of the second example you gave. That is '...played after a card that could score but doesn't'.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifying because I was still confused after reading this thread. When you play shub niggurath you select ANY previously played card and play shub on it to double the card's effect during scoring. This means you can play it on the card you saved from round one. This also means if you pick it up to play again at the end of round two you can play it on that saved card from round one. This is why it is only ineffective if it the first card you play in round one or if you choose to save and play it at the end of round one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.