Subject: Print and play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Koch
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
So? What do you guys think? I am cutting it right now, will play tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Not impressed yet, this doesn't bring much new powers and the Guild is just the blobs with less capacities.

Yet again, that was expected and not the reason I backed, so it's still alright.

Love the gold card though. Very cool layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Koch
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
I love the artwork so far. And LOVE the health tracking cards, simply brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Holman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First play: opponent went mostly Wild. I died very fast.

Second play: got an Imperial health gain engine going and swung from 4 health to 40 and back down before losing to Wild damage again.

This feels like a *much* faster game than Star Realms. Whereas I felt that Colony Wars was less aggressive than base Star Realms, this feels insanely aggressive.

It's going to take way more plays until I have a handle on the various strategies and counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Koch
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
I hear ya, It is how it felt to me when I first got into star realms. Over time I'm sure we'll see different layers....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmb
kikicub wrote:
I hear ya, It is how it felt to me when I first got into star realms. Over time I'm sure we'll see different layers....

Same for me, and I hated it back then. Since then I have learned that the blobs are not just the best faction, and that there is more to it than just that. But the expansions felt mandatory very quick. I was on the verge of selling it. Now I play it mostly coop and sometimes 1 v. 1 but have to get in the right mindset.
Colony Wars felt a lot more fast, though, and more agressive.

I haven't played Hero Realms, and don't intend to until I receive the whole line, because I need to play Star Realms more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan A
msg tools
Played for the first time last night and I really enjoyed it. I agree with others that it plays very fast but in time we will learn the proper strategies to counter the turn 3 or 4 kill. I have not played Star Realms and I don't intend to but I have played Ascension many times over. I love the randomness and re-playable aspect of Ascension. Dominion, in my opinion, has zero randomness and no re-playability since all purchasable cards are available at all times. Since Robert worked on Ascension, I'm not surprised he built upon its deck building mechanics and gameplay. He took Ascension and added another level of battling other players instead of market row monster cards. Not a complaint at all. I like what he has done with Hero Realms and that's why I backed it. Also, I agree, the life tracking cards are genius. I just wish I would have thought of that first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The_Mana_In_Black wrote:
Played for the first time last night and I really enjoyed it. I agree with others that it plays very fast but in time we will learn the proper strategies to counter the turn 3 or 4 kill. I have not played Star Realms and I don't intend to but I have played Ascension many times over. I love the randomness and re-playable aspect of Ascension. Dominion, in my opinion, has zero randomness and no re-playability since all purchasable cards are available at all times. Since Robert worked on Ascension, I'm not surprised he built upon its deck building mechanics and gameplay. He took Ascension and added another level of battling other players instead of market row monster cards. Not a complaint at all. I like what he has done with Hero Realms and that's why I backed it. Also, I agree, the life tracking cards are genius. I just wish I would have thought of that first.

Turn 3 or 4? Really? Seems a bit fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan A
msg tools
Ok you got meblush, I wasn't keeping exact count but it sure felt like turn 3 or 4. It was definitely under 10 turns though and maybe 10 minutes total time. All part of the learning curve and I'm still excited to jump back in for more.

Two more games in; turn 7 and turn 8 wins. I was not too far off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you playing the rules correct?
shuffle the deck when is empty?
put the buying cards in the discard pile(unless the card say else)?
use the ally abilities only once when you play the cards with the same color?
discard your hand when done and then draw 5 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Mana_In_Black wrote:
Ok you got meblush, I wasn't keeping exact count but it sure felt like turn 3 or 4. It was definitely under 10 turns though and maybe 10 minutes total time. All part of the learning curve and I'm still excited to jump back in for more.

Whoa! That IS fast!

I played about 6 games last night and though it was much faster than Star Realms I never creamed my brother THAT fast! Maybe I focus too much on economy, or too balanced a strat.

I DID realize that we had been playing Star Realms wrong for months by scrapping bases when they are destroyed, and it was only the STUN champions verbage in this game that pointed it out. Felt much better balanced that way.

What were you doing that killed them so rapidly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Schneu wrote:
The_Mana_In_Black wrote:

Whoa! That IS fast!

I played about 6 games last night and though it was much faster than Star Realms I never creamed my brother THAT fast! Maybe I focus too much on economy, or too balanced a strat.

I DID realize that we had been playing Star Realms wrong for months by scrapping bases when they are destroyed, and it was only the STUN champions verbage in this game that pointed it out. Felt much better balanced that way.

What were you doing that killed them so rapidly?

Interesting variant idea

I wonder: is it 8 turns total, or the eighth turn the player took (meaning between 14 and 16 turns total)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Schneu wrote:

I DID realize that we had been playing Star Realms wrong for months by scrapping bases when they are destroyed, and it was only the STUN champions verbage in this game that pointed it out.

Interesting variant idea

Actually, I had not realized our mistake in spite of playing the videogame version, but yes I suppose I should list it as a variant in the forums. It did have the effect of weakening the bases considerably, but at least they self-scrapped in a way freeing up your deck...

It also means that there is room for a new power in the system where powerful creatures don't just stun an opposing champion they can "sacrifice" them (aka scrap) Double-edged power though, maybe best reserved for strategically stripping more powerful champions from your opponent's deck, killing their investment completely. Good counter to a Champ-heavy strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan A
msg tools
I am playing everything correctly, however, I just noticed the starting life total is 50. I have been playing with 30. No wonder it's been a little too fast to establish any kind of card combo strategies. Haha. Oops. I think I inadvertently used the Epic CG starting life because I only recently started playing that game and mixed things up without verifying with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes 30 life is epic starting life....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.