10 Posts

The Others» Forums » General

Subject: Order of Miniature Painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have very limited painting experience and it has been a while since I have. The last game I painted minis for I remember getting better the more minis I painted.

My question, with 160+ minis that need painting for The Others, what should I start with? I know I want to start with the simpler minis and leave the complex ones for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradly Billingsley
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want to leave the more complicated stuff for later then I would definitely start with the Corrupted figures and the non-controller/avatar sin figures.

Those appear to be the least complicated models in the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would always start with the minis with the highest count so you can see how you improve your skill over time. Plus with thise minis you can assume nobody will spend much time looking at those. When you improved a little I would paint the heroes with the worst stats. Again get a little experience with those and those wont have that much playtime anyway. When you are confident enough, go ahead and do the heroes and the other MVPs like the hell club and sins. I am gonna paint the apocolypse box last.
I did it like this for Zombicide and Arcadia Quest and I am gonna do it with the others the same way.

Good luck and the most important thing: have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg MN
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also stay away from the exclusives since you can't easily replace those. As others have said, start with some of the smaller, less complex and more common minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
I started with the Corrupted Acolytes. Each set consists of 6 miniatures which is very paintable in a relatively small amount of time and allows you to feel like you are completing something.

Most of them also look good with relatively simple paint schemes. Two-three base colors and then a little bit of highlighting/shading. My method is to paint all of one color on each of the six models and then move to the next color. This way you don’t get bogged down on a single model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on starting with the heroes from the core box. My plan is to paint enough figures to play a fully painted game, so one Sin's worth of monsters, one group of corrupted humans and the Hell Club. After that I can pick and choose what to paint next.

I would also recommend that if this is your first foray into the world of painting miniatures, do some online research about techniques, then pick a miniature or two that you aren't worried about and experiment on them. That way if things don't turn out the way you expected you haven't made a mess of your favourite figure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kleinke
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
I plan on starting with the heroes from the core box. My plan is to paint enough figures to play a fully painted game, so one Sin's worth of monsters, one group of corrupted humans and the Hell Club. After that I can pick and choose what to paint next.

This is what I am doing - I picked sloth because the avatar is smaller. I've got a few different colored paints on all the heroes, all the hell club, all the sloth monsters, and a few of the cursed nuns. It's somewhat overwhelming since I'm used to smaller groups of Zombiecide minis at one time, but it's working out so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sheahan
msg tools
I started with Greed, as it has the smallest and simplest abominations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:

Yeah that's very similar to what I plan to do. I sort of went all over the place with Blood Rage, getting a little bit of paint on a lot of models. This time I think I will just focus on getting the core set done so I can have a full game of stuff painted then work on each expansion in turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not very experienced at painting. I started with Blood Rage last year and just finished up last month. My plan is to do batches where I have a few heroes, a corrupted set and a sin set, then repeat with a new batch. The idea is to try to get to a point where I can play a game with a fully painted figures while still having enough unpainted figures to play a game during the painting process.

Weather and season will also play a role for me because I can only spray paint outdoors. Pieces like the heroes, controllers and corrupted acolytes are easier and quicker to prime using a spray primer but the pieces with more complex geometries can be tricky for me to prime right so I may just use a paint on primer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.