Giga-Robo!» Forums » General

Subject: Votes for double-matt VS glossy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've opened a poll to tally results:

https://plus.google.com/100870072176219208321/posts/c13Zb6S5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I appreciate the distinction... I just use FFG transparent sleeves, which I think are glossy. But could you give an example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chibodee Crocket
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The glossy is the more durable option, correct?

-Edit-

Yeah, I'm just now getting into tabletop gaming. While I've played card games like Magic, Pokemon TCG, and Yu-gi-oh, I never really got into getting sleeves and what have you. I don't even own any cards for those respective games anymore.

I don't know enough (or have enough experience with sleeves) about matte vs glossy to make an educated decision beyond going with which one is durable. If someone could enlighten me on the pros and cons that'd be great, otherwise to google it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glossy is shiny and Matt isn't. That's about as savvy as I get. All I know is that the double-matt were said to be more durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chibodee Crocket
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Gamer Bearded Tom wrote:
Glossy is shiny and Matt isn't. That's about as savvy as I get. All I know is that the double-matt were said to be more durable.

Are they? I thought every thing was pointing at glossy being more durable. Now I'm lost. xP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Chibodee Crocket wrote:
Gamer Bearded Tom wrote:

Are they? I thought every thing was pointing at glossy being more durable. Now I'm lost. xP

You could be right. Like I said, I'm not very savvy with the card sleeves. Mostly because I've never used any. Will have to reread the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Matte's shuffle better, feel better and are not shiny. They require that feathered border that Alex described. Alex mentions increased durability, but in my experience glossy sleeves are usually more durable.

Glossy sleeves are obviously shiny, they don't shuffle as easily, they can sometimes stick and they require no border so they can feature full art on the back. Also he alluded to a minimum order size for the mattes so the glossy sleeves may be more flexible to order therefore meeting the Kickstarter demand rather than over ordering them potentially.

Glossy sleeves are the more common sleeves. If you've seen art sleeves they are most likely glossy. The mattes are the more premium item due to their look and feel. Therefore it would be a luxury to have those rather than regular glossy sleeves.

All that said most of my sleeves are full art glossy sleeves so I don't mind the glossy sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Doh Nuts!

Yep, glossy are the durable. Changed my vote on Google+ to glossy.

Because I vote for longer lasting.

That was my bad for quick reading while multitasking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chibodee Crocket
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to add a gloss (pun intended) to what has been said so far about glossy sleeves. Cheap glossy sleeves are terrible - they have no grip, are difficult to shuffle, and have a tendency to go flying everywhere if you so much as lightly brush against them. Matte cards have a "rough" feel which gives them better grip and makes them easier to shuffle. However, high-quality glossy sleeves don't have the problems the cheap ones do, and in my personal opinion feel far more pleasant to handle and shuffle than matte. It sounds like Cardboard Dynamo is aiming for higher-quality glossy sleeves (their comparison was to Dragon Shields, which are my personal go-to standard), so I'm happy to support a switch to glossy.

Gamer Tom, I appreciate your taking the effort to set up this poll, but I'm a little concerned that it may result in some double-voting (on your poll and in the comments) - not that I think people are trying to game the system, but just because some may think they should vote in both places while others may think they should vote in only one. Since we didn't establish a clear system, it's not clear how to tally the Google+ poll alongside the comments votes to obtain an "overall vote".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Azilut wrote:

Gamer Tom, I appreciate your taking the effort to set up this poll, but I'm a little concerned that it may result in some double-voting (on your poll and in the comments) - not that I think people are trying to game the system, but just because some may think they should vote in both places while others may think they should vote in only one. Since we didn't establish a clear system, it's not clear how to tally the Google+ poll alongside the comments votes to obtain an "overall vote".

My thinking was to set up the poll which counts the results without the need of carefully reading through the comments. The advantage of the poll is that you can't vote twice on it so nobody can abuse it.

But, if both comments and the poll are counted there could be an unfair result as you very accurately point out. I am debating removing the poll as it hasn't really taken off anyway. In five hours eight people have voted, not counting mine which makes nine. Unless there's 1003 votes in the next 24 hours I think it may have been a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Gamer Bearded Tom wrote:
I am debating removing the poll as it hasn't really taken off anyway. In five hours eight people have voted, not counting mine which makes nine. Unless there's 1003 votes in the next 24 hours I think it may have been a waste.

Personally, as someone for whom it's currently almost 9am, I think 5 hours on a worldwide campaign is far too soon to be making the call that the poll is a failure. That said, I expect Cardboard Dynamo to be tallying votes from the comments rather than the poll, since that was what they stated in the update. The poll is a nice touch, and I think, whether treated as official or not, it'll be interesting to compare results.

Also, as someone who has only ever owned low-quality plastic sleeves, I don't feel justified in voting either way at this point. From my lack of knowledge and from reading this thread, I'd be VERY slightly leaning toward the hope for gloss, but I don't see enough information to be confident voting for either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
From experience, Double-Mattes shuffle better, but break easier. Glossy are more durable, but are more prone to sticking.

I'll just use transparent sleeves anyway, they do the job. Probably sell off the free sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.