BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Polyhero Dice Soliciting Game Designs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Jenkins
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the company below and have nothing to gain by posting this.

The folks down at polyhero.com are looking for a game design that uses their unique dice sets:

From their website http://www.polyhero.com/#games-section
We'd love to create more games in the PolyHero Dice Games series. If you are a game designer, we're taking submissions for games that use the Warrior Set, and the new upcoming Wizard Set. The general goal is that a PolyHero game must use the dice, be compact and quick to play, and feature a small number of extra components (cards, tokens, etc)

Here's the schematics of their dice:
(As of this writing, 14 days to go on Kickstarter, but fully funded already)

I have this set already and they're really cool! They have a game for this set called "Knight Fight." What's really interesting to me is that the shield-die is used to roll defense, and the sword-die is used for attack rolls etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow!

nice
dice

gut response: can't really use the dice values to represent damage of the weapon being shown by the dice ... otherwise bare fist (d10) would deal more damage than any of the weapons (sword d6, dagger d4, mace d8)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
wow!

nice
dice

gut response: can't really use the dice values to represent damage of the weapon being shown by the dice ... otherwise bare fist (d10) would deal more damage than any of the weapons (sword d6, dagger d4, mace d8)

bare fist (d10) + any of the weapons (sword d6, dagger d4, mace d8) = damage ?
One hand for defense, the other for attack, or both for attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
wow!

nice
dice

You could use base modifiers to balance them out a bit.

Bare fist: 1-10
Dagger: 8 + d4
Sword: 10 + d6
Mace: 12 + d8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5799d60bd482e9ae89ca89...

one of the prototypes, maybe? looks large and clunky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

You mean "large and chunky"?

I assume you hold them at the top and spin them around their vertical axis, rather than trying to roll them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

You mean "large and chunky"?

I assume you hold them at the top and spin them around their vertical axis, rather than trying to roll them?

They don't look chunky to me - I could get on board with clunky, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jenkins
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Stormtower wrote:
wow!

nice
dice

The Knight Fight game looks for hits. 3-hits and you're out . . .

Stormtower wrote:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5799d60bd482e9ae89ca89...

The D12 "Helmet" is a little chunky, IMO, but pretty cool regardless. The Wizard set is shaping up to be even nicer! Translucent or marbleized . . .

Knight Fight, by Dann May -rules summary:
Choose a Knight card (each has a special ability) and a Squire card (a spent pile function)
First round: Roll D12-Helmet to set your "defense benchmark" for the round.
Then each player secretly chooses their Move and rolls their die/dice simultaneously (the Clash):

4 possible moves:
Defense=roll the D20 Shield then add to your Helmet score to set a new defense benchmark for the round.
Attack=roll one D10 Gauntlet (dex, I think) + one of the weapons (D4 Daggar, D6 Sword, D8 Mace) total must be greater than Defense Bechmark to hit.
Jostle=roll one D10 Guntlet - effects their defense - and can force the player to perform the next move listed during the next round...reason why to follow . . .
Rally=Feint a roll (empty hand) - This allows the Knight to recover spent dice from the Squire.

**the last phase is "Regather" where each player can only pick up ONE die rolled in the round they just played. An Attack, for example. Any remaining dice must go to the Squire to hold. The Helmet stays on the table.

Reroll the Helmet, if you choose and start round two.

Each Knight has a special ability and there are magic item cards too.

Not a bad, quick game. There's some strategy and decisions to make . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my set a few days ago, before I saw and commented on this post actually.

They feel a little small and very light. I was hoping for a heavier material. I was surprised.

They also all came loosely packed in a box, rattling around, from where ever they were made (china). Here is the thing, the manufacturing process left some sharp edges, like the bit that gets cut off from the sprues, or something. Combine that with the rattling and most of the dice have scratched themselves, albeit just a little. It sort of feels like the dice have already been used. A bit of foam would have been nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jenkins
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Funny you should mention the clamshell case. In the Wizard set campaign they say moving forward, they're doing away with the big clamshell and looking to package the dice in a blister pack. No mention of a piece of foam. That's a great idea.

Also....I created a very nice tuckbox for the Knight Fight game (sleeved). Printed on 110lbs card stock it fits perfectly in the clamshell section next to the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem nifty but feel a lot to me like a solution in search of a problem. ("Bored of standard dodecahedral dice? Let's do the same thing but in party shapes!")

I admire the innovation though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jenkins
United States
New York
flag msg tools
hestiansun wrote:
They seem nifty but feel a lot to me like a solution in search of a problem.

For me, they are a tool looking for a game mechanic..

Getting back on track...
With accompanying game design these dice transcend the general purpose polyhedral dice. As I described, in the Knight Fight game, the form of the die is related to its purpose in the game.

The Wizard set could get its own wizard duel game, but I'd like to think larger than that. First of all I have no idea what Dann May envisions, but in an email chat with him, I know that he's open to fresh ideas for games that use his dice,

Perhaps the D20 Orb is a little like a "future seeing" crystal ball, but instead of seeing the future, it creates it......
What if the D12 Wizard Staff contained multiple spells and depending on the roll result of the D20 Orb, the next spell to trigger is locked and loaded! Etc.

The colors of the sets are being decided and voted upon now, I love the Dragonfire with Brimstone....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZuppaDePesce wrote:

Exactly my thought when I first saw them.

Of course one could use them for a sort of mage/warrior/something-else battles but that would be much limiting.

They'd shine if used in some sort of Battlelore-like or Runebound-like game or even in some sort of adventure game (a-la Mage Knight) in which you gain dice (along with their element and damage) insetead of cards. /insert thinky face

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll definitely use the potions when playing Hero Realms as the Wizard, as my HP.

As for the other dice, well, uuh... One for gold, one for combat, to keep track of my pools?

The rest of them will... Probably... Sit on a shelf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZuppaDePesce wrote:

Knight Fight, by Dann May -rules summary:
Choose a Knight card (each has a special ability) and a Squire card (a spent pile function)
First round: Roll D12-Helmet to set your "defense benchmark" for the round.
Then each player secretly chooses their Move and rolls their die/dice simultaneously (the Clash):

4 possible moves:
Defense=roll the D20 Shield then add to your Helmet score to set a new defense benchmark for the round.
Attack=roll one D10 Gauntlet (dex, I think) + one of the weapons (D4 Daggar, D6 Sword, D8 Mace) total must be greater than Defense Bechmark to hit.
Jostle=roll one D10 Guntlet - effects their defense - and can force the player to perform the next move listed during the next round...reason why to follow . . .
Rally=Feint a roll (empty hand) - This allows the Knight to recover spent dice from the Squire.

**the last phase is "Regather" where each player can only pick up ONE die rolled in the round they just played. An Attack, for example. Any remaining dice must go to the Squire to hold. The Helmet stays on the table.

Reroll the Helmet, if you choose and start round two.

Each Knight has a special ability and there are magic item cards too.
]Not a bad, quick game. There's some strategy and decisions to make . . .

Almost got it, but a few things are different.

- When defending you can roll a shield or a weapon (to parry with).
- When attacking, if both players attack, the weapon die with the lowest number strikes first. So a dagger attack is more likely to hit before a mace attack, but a mace is more likely to exceed the opponent's defence.
- A successful jostle move forces an opponent to reroll their helmet (base defence), or disarms their rolled dice, sending it to their squire.

I think of the gauntlets in an attack like putting some muscle into the swing, whereas a defend move just puts up the weapon or shield to block. This plays into the idea that you can only pick up one die per turn, so an attack will wear you out more than a defend. And the knight powers work in a similar way, often letting your roll 3 dice or use your dice in a way where you expend more energy.

hestiansun wrote:
They seem nifty but feel a lot to me like a solution in search of a problem. ("Bored of standard dodecahedral dice? Let's do the same thing but in party shapes!") I admire the innovation though.

Roleplayers will typically have far more than one set of dice in their collection. Why have more than one set of dice? Answer that question and you solve the riddle of PolyHero.

Also, I think there are a lot of interesting ideas to be explored where the theme meets the mechanics of dice. The dice themselves are mostly there as a fun bit of bling to use in imaginative RPG games. The d goal of creating specific PolyHero games is really just about creating fun short fillers that use the dice in interesting ways. I think there is a lot of design space there, but it requires a fair amount of lateral thinking to crack. I've found it fun to consider, challenging, but creatively rewarding when I've hit upon new ideas.

ex1st wrote:
Got my set a few days ago, before I saw and commented on this post actually.

They feel a little small and very light. I was hoping for a heavier material. I was surprised.

They also all came loosely packed in a box, rattling around, from where ever they were made (china). Here is the thing, the manufacturing process left some sharp edges, like the bit that gets cut off from the sprues, or something. Combine that with the rattling and most of the dice have scratched themselves, albeit just a little. It sort of feels like the dice have already been used. A bit of foam would have been nice.

I'm surprised you say they are small, compared to regular dice they are a fair bit larger. They are a little lighter, but I think it's pretty subtle, in the way that a regular d4 is light, as the helmet and gauntlets aren't light and are heavier than regular dice of those kinds because of their size? We need to use a different technique than regular polyhedrals because of the complex shapes, but weight is something that we see as a goal. Agreed, the packaging was cool in itself (great deckboxes), but not ideal for the dice, which is why we've changed it. I haven't seen dice with a lot of scratches though. If you dice are seriously scratched up, do consider asking for replacements. There will be some small variability in the production run, so you might have got unlucky. What color did you get? Anyway, many thanks for supporting the project, we are happy with the dice, and what we've achieved so far with a novel concept, but we are perfectionists, and do think we can continue to improve, and by supporting us we do really appreciate the opportunity you grant us to keep at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZuppaDePesce wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
They seem nifty but feel a lot to me like a solution in search of a problem.

Making the mini first and the game second is a pretty successful Kickstarter approach though, Cool Mini or Not get away with time after time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I designed the Warrior Set with a very specific spectrum running from fast attack through to slow defence, so I could leverage that in game design. The Wizard Set spectrum is a little more subtle, it basically moves from transient/immediate to permanent/solid. So for example the bolt is there and gone in an instant, through to the gilded orb, which is the item that probably existed in the past, and can see into the future. I'm not sure what the game mechanic or concept is yet that plays into that spectrum, but I find it interesting.

Here are some sparks/ideas that have come to mind for me for the Wizard Set. Nothing fully connected, very disjointed, just glimmers I'll throw out there...

What if the game used cards that have a scale of effects on them? Eg, imagine a "spell card", with a spectrum of effects ranging in numbers, like mini tables you roll on.

What about some sort of game about crafting items. Maybe a dice blackjack variant, where you roll an item, say your orb, and it is a target number, and players are choosing different dice to creep up on that number, seeing how many dice they can get under it without busting. Sort of like the idea of making magic items, embuing them with power, leveling them up. Eg, the class assignment is to craft an orb, so you roll it, and you roll a 12, you then decide what dice you want to roll to embue it with power, so you roll a bolt, 3, a scroll 5, you have two power in the orb, then you need to decide if you will roll another dice to try and get to third level power. There is some sort of management of what dice you have available, when to use them, and competition to make more powerful items etc. The bolt and fireball are always ingredients, but scrolls can be an item you make, or contain spells to make other items etc.

Maybe a real-time game could be fun. The potions can stand up, so rolling them, and once you get different numbers, standing them up on a card, until you then want to spend them again. Or rolling until they get a certain range of numbers and recharge. Or imagine rolling fireballs until you get a 4-6 to hit, and then needing to roll a scroll to gain back more magic energy. Or maybe you are crafting items, and when you formulate a potion you stand it up and its complete, but then that dice is locked in and you can't use it to help you do other things. Basically, some sort of crazy real time wizard battle, or academic contest. Maybe you are rolling dice and trying to land them on cards?

An expansion to Knight Fight that adds more magic items, or a wizard that can fight the Knights in a subtly different way, but using the same basic concepts.

As I say, all raw, I have other ideas, but I'll leave it there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpseat wrote:
I'm surprised you say they are small, compared to regular dice they are a fair bit larger. They are a little lighter, but I think it's pretty subtle, in the way that a regular d4 is light, as the helmet and gauntlets aren't light and are heavier than regular dice of those kinds because of their size? We need to use a different technique than regular polyhedrals because of the complex shapes, but weight is something that we see as a goal. Agreed, the packaging was cool in itself (great deckboxes), but not ideal for the dice, which is why we've changed it. I haven't seen dice with a lot of scratches though. If you dice are seriously scratched up, do consider asking for replacements. There will be some small variability in the production run, so you might have got unlucky. What color did you get? Anyway, many thanks for supporting the project, we are happy with the dice, and what we've achieved so far with a novel concept, but we are perfectionists, and do think we can continue to improve, and by supporting us we do really appreciate the opportunity you grant us to keep at it.

Thanks for the reply. The rocker in me says "Make them Metal!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, the kitchen table would never be the same again.

We are actually looking into it though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how to get in touch with the Polyhero team about game designs. I sent a message via the contact form on their website a couple of weeks ago but have heard nothing back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:
Does anyone know how to get in touch with the Polyhero team about game designs. I sent a message via the contact form on their website a couple of weeks ago but have heard nothing back.

If you have a KS account, did you try sending them a private message via Kickstarter? They were pretty reactive during the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
DicingWithDearth wrote:

I did the same, haven't heard back, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Salute? oh oh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.