Hide
12 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Balancing the cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Arino
msg tools
Have a game night coming up and this hasn't been to the table in a while.

How do you balance the search decks? I have the base game, Toxic City Mall, Prison Outbreak and some smaller sets like the dogs (and I'm probably going to pick up VIP or something today). How do you balance the search decks so we can actually find water and rice, etc. Do you take out the base game weapons and replace with the later expansion ones? Just put in what you want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it myself, but maybe a draw 3 pick 1 solution?

As per the TCM rules, just have fun

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Toxic city is an expansion and you typically add the search cards to the base set from either S1. or S3(Prisonbreak). The balance should stay nearly the same as this was their intention, i believe it says as much in the Toxic City rules manual.

Having said that, feel free to mix and match what you like. I would probalbly do a 1:1 replacement as you are suggesting to keep the ratios similar.

I particularly don't like mixing all the decks in to one giant search deck because it can mess with the % of finding specific items for missions, etc. But we almost always play RED Mode. So we include those weapons whenever we play.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Arino
msg tools
Oooh I like that idea.

Thoughts on a roll for search house rule?

Roll a D6.

1-2 Draw 1 Keep 1
3-4 Draw 2 Keep 1
5 Draw 3 Keep 1
6 Draw 3 Keep 2

Items you don't keep would go to the bottom of the search deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Arino
msg tools
Floydski wrote:

Having said that, feel free to mix and match what you like. I would probalbly do a 1:1 replacement as you are suggesting to keep the ratios similar.

That is my concern, we are playing C12 tonight which involves finding canned food, rice and water. I don't want to gimp our chances at success by having an unbalanced ratio of guns to rice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker

Kentucky
msg tools
These are the current decks we use. They are tweaked to give decent percentages of finding useful/powerful items. They are composed of all the equipment decks, except for Angry Neighbors, which I haven't picked up yet.

Starting Equipment Deck (10)
Crowbar
Bow
Knife
Pistol
Fire Axe
5x Pan

Combined Equipment Deck (6)
5x Molotov Cocktails
Nailbat

Ultrared Equipment Deck (6)
911 Special
Ned’s Atomic Flashlight
Sweet Sisters
Doug’s Dream
Betty
Jack & Jill

Police/Armory Equipment Deck (19)
2x Plenty of Ammo (Heavy)
2x Plenty of Ammo (Light)
2x Pistol
2x Shotgun
2x Bulletproof Vest
2x Riot Shield
2x Nightstick
Flashlight
Gas Mask
Assault Rifle
Automatic Shotgun
Bismuth (Dog Companion)

Pimpweapon Equipment Deck (16)

2x Desert Eagle
2x Nailbat
2x Gunblade
Moog (Dog Companion)
SPAS 12
Golden AK-47
Daisho
Thompson
La Guillotine
Automatic Shotgun
Pink M4
Ma’s Shotgun
Evil Twins

Equipment Deck (90)

6x Aaahh! Cards
3x Bag of Rice
3x Water
3x Canned Food
3x Glass Bottles
3x Gasoline
2x Plenty of Ammo (Heavy)
2x Plenty of Ammo (Light)
2x Laser Pointer
2x Scope
Lucien (Dog Companion)
Flashlight
Gas Mask
Spare Change
Hollow-Point Rounds
Goalie Mask
Flamethrower
Cookies
Nails
3x Knife
2x Machete
2x Kukri
2x Hatchet
2x Baseball Bat
2x Urban Mace
2x Wakizachi
2x Crowbar
2x Claw Hammer
2x Fire Axe
2x Chainsaw
Concrete Saw
Saber
Sword
Katana
Meat Cleaver
4x Sawed Off
3x Pistol
2x MAC-10
2x Sub MG
2x Bow
2x Rifle
2x Shotgun
2x .44 Magnum
Pa’s Gun
MP5
AK-47
Assault Rifle
Double Barrel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickWizard wrote:
Oooh I like that idea.

Roll a D6.

1-2 Draw 1 Keep 1
3-4 Draw 2 Keep 1
5 Draw 3 Keep 1
6 Draw 3 Keep 2

Why? I wouldn't like that mod. I'd be tempted if it had room empty but I'd see it more as a character skill. Not for every one. It would work well against an all in deck that was badly stacked but game breaking if the deck happened to be evenly shuffled. Much better to simply build your own deck and give it a good shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received Season 1, Toxic City and Prison Outbreak and so I did an inventory of the cards. They are all there and, in the process, I thought about this question and think the math says just mix them all. Season one comes with 62 cards, 2 of which I think you keep out (Molotov Cocktails). With 3 Canned Food items, that comes to exactly a 5% chance of getting the card.

If you mix in the Prison Outbreak deck, you add 3 more Canned foods and 79 cards (keeping out 2 Molotov Cocktails and 2 Nailbats from the 83 total). That means you end up with a 4.3% chance of getting a Canned Food. To me, that's not enough dilution to worry about.

As mentioned, the Toxic City rules say to just add them in, so I guess they just want to make it that much harder for you. But not too much harder. You add another 50 (keeping out the 6 Ultrared cards), bringing the chances down to 6/(79+60+50), or 3.17%. So less than 2% harder.

Mix away I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also known as
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickWizard wrote:
Oooh I like that idea.

Roll a D6.

1-2 Draw 1 Keep 1
3-4 Draw 2 Keep 1
5 Draw 3 Keep 1
6 Draw 3 Keep 2

I'd suggest something like this -

Roll a D6.

1 Room empty, no further searching allowed here
2-3 Draw 1 Keep 1
4 Draw 2 Keep 1
5 Draw 3 Keep 1
6 Draw 3 Keep 2

I do agree it's a bit powerful so I'd limit this roll to once per game, per survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:
I just received Season 1, Toxic City and Prison Outbreak and so I did an inventory of the cards. They are all there and, in the process, I thought about this question and think the math says just mix them all. Season one comes with 62 cards, 2 of which I think you keep out (Molotov Cocktails). With 3 Canned Food items, that comes to exactly a 5% chance of getting the card.

If you mix in the Prison Outbreak deck, you add 3 more Canned foods and 79 cards (keeping out 2 Molotov Cocktails and 2 Nailbats from the 83 total). That means you end up with a 4.3% chance of getting a Canned Food. To me, that's not enough dilution to worry about.

You forgot the pimpmobile cards (2 for s1, 2 for s2) and the 6 starting equipments.
Does not change the mind-work, though, and the fact I do agree with your conclusions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Eriksson
msg tools
Yet another variant is to mix up all the decks into one, then grant
all survivors the Destiny skill.
Destiny – The Survivor can use this Skill once per turn when he reveals an Equipment card he drew. Ignore and discard that card, and draw another Equipment card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Piscopas wrote:
These are the current decks we use. They are tweaked to give decent percentages of finding useful/powerful items. They are composed of all the equipment decks, except for Angry Neighbors, which I haven't picked up yet.

Starting Equipment Deck (10)

Combined Equipment Deck (6)

Ultrared Equipment Deck (6)

Police/Armory Equipment Deck (19)

Pimpweapon Equipment Deck (16)

Equipment Deck (90)

I've thought about doing something similar. How do you decide when someone can draw from the Ultrared deck?
Is the Police/Armory Deck only for drawing from the Police Car? (I'd be tempted to add a few Aaahh! cards to represent the cop and/or prisoner in the car.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.