Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Trojan War Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Iwen
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
My oldest daughter has an interest in Greek mythology and history. When we went to the FLGS to browse the cardboard goodness recently, she asked if we could get a game on the Trojan War. I honestly cannot think of a game that covers this conflict.

Anyone have any recommendations for games that cover this period or specific conflict?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agamemnon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
The one I know of are, unfortunately, all long out of print, and all wargames by the way.

One of the more recent, maybe still in print, I don't know, was a card game appropriately named Iliad, that I have not played and can't comment; another is Hector and Achilles , which you can easily obtain second hand; both are a bit light on theme, beware.

The more war-oriented ones are: Troy, a veritable holy grail and commanding heavy prices, Iliad: The Siege of Troy, another reputedly good but hard to find game and Iliad, an italian offer, my very first "wargame" and one that I like notwithstanding its many faults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a positive plug to Iliad: The Siege of Troy. Mechanically it seems more like a modern game with a lot of flavor, cards, etc. from a game from the late 1970's. It doesn't look like much but it is a good game.

Top heroes are rated for attack and defense. You usually hit a weaker opponent, who then gets wounded and runs away. So it is hard to kill the other hero, you have to kind of attrition them down until they can't run any more.

Except the one key rule that gives the game the great feel: the grip of Achilles! If you are in combat with Achilles, you can't run away. So like the book the Iliad, the game shows all of the heroes, but the book is the story of Achilles and so is the game!

The joker in the card deck is the Paris shoots Achilles' card.

Anyway, I thought this was a very clever game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Iwen
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to look at Chariots of Fire and Iliad: The Siege of Troy. This of course means I'll have to overcome my apprehensions about eBay and the geek store if I decide to purchase one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trojan War by Metagaming. Old (published in 1981), out-of-print and seems to command high prices nowadays for what was essentially a microgame back then (two available on eBay right now for $53 and $65; one in the BGG marketplace for $40), but it does cover the Trojan War and is an interesting game. And I'm keeping my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it may not be exactly what you envisioned, I am really enjoying the newly published Mare Nostrum: Empires. It plays 3 - 5, but if you add the Atlas expansion you can play 2 - 6. You play a mighty, ancient empire and ruler - Pericles / Greece, Julius Caesar / Rome, Hannibal / Carthage, Cleopatra / Egypt and Hammurabi / Babylon. You collect resources, trade, build and battle. You also can buy Heroes and Wonders of the ancient world - including some mythical ones. In the Atlas expansion are three legendary city expansions - including one for Troy which adds characters from the Trojan War.

Definitely something that I think you and your daughter might like - and it plays in only a couple of hours. Check out some of the videos, reviews, etc. And I believe you can download copies of the rulebooks from Academy Games' website.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is also a resource booklet that comes with the game that includes a brief background on each of the leaders / heroes. So if you don't know who someone is, you can learn a little history / mythology along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlo M. wrote:
The more war-oriented ones are: Troy, a veritable holy grail and commanding heavy prices...

I love that one, enough that I took the rare (for me) step of writing a review for it: A Labor of Love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
AveryAllen wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Carlo M. wrote:
The more war-oriented ones are: Troy, a veritable holy grail and commanding heavy prices...

I love that one, enough that I took the rare (for me) step of writing a review for it: A Labor of Love

I read your review earlier, it was great!

I wholeheartedly agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, El Grande originally had a Trojan War theme (castillo = wooden horse!) I understand there was another Trojan War game coming out that year, so they changed it to a game about Spain.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but when I heard this story, I thought that the original there was probably a better fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appart from all the games mentioned earlier, there is also La Guerre de Troie, a small game published in the French magazine VV #66. According to the author, it was a reaction to the movie Troy and its "historically" inaccurate plot.

Not a wargame whatsoever, but also an interesting game from the archaeological point of view, Troia.

Also, not about the Trojan War, but covering 'this period' (Ancient Greece, roughly speaking), a companion for a game already mentioned, Raiders and Traders: The Heroic Age of Greece. Also a holy grail game, I believe.

More about Ancient Greece, concretely the Peloponnesian War: Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War, The Peloponnesian War and Epic of the Peloponnesian War.
The Italian game by IT also has a companion covering the Odyssey: Odyssey

As stated before, you can also find Trojan War scenarios in games covering a more extensive period of ancient history.

Yet, all these games are quite old and may be difficult to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
No one can defeat the quad laser. Now, where shall I drape this wet, primitive Earth towel?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Carlo M. wrote:

Noble Knight has an unpunched copy of Troy for $275.

Please, somebody buy it quickly? OP? Somebody?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Iwen
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Ha! It's only slightly out of my price range...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trojan War Game = a wargame that sneaks into euro gamer's game collection without them realising it's a wargame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trojan War Game - When you want to practice safe wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Thor Wagner
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
No one wants to mess with an irate aquatic rodent!! Angry Beavers Clan of Canada
badge
FIOR GO BAS
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to an eBay item

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...g7cAAAOSwZVlXqeUG

The Trojan War

The price is worth looking at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
norseman1066 wrote:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...g7cAAAOSwZVlXqeUG

The Trojan War

Shipping is $29 economy; the seller seems to value his trouble a little too highly. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Thor Wagner
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
No one wants to mess with an irate aquatic rodent!! Angry Beavers Clan of Canada
badge
FIOR GO BAS
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
norseman1066 wrote:

The Trojan War

Shipping is $29 economy; the seller seems to value his trouble a little too highly. whistle

I couldn't see the shipping cost as I'm in Canada and he doesn't ship to here. I thought shipping in the US would be cheaper than that. I guess they think that the charges are less for shipping than the item selling price or something like that.

Oh well, I tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.