$30.00
Olof Rautavaara
Finland
Espoo 16
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game can use some tanks. You can get (resizing to 75 % will be the right size to fit two squares) some M1 Abrams (80%), Challenger II, T-72 and T-80, T-80U topdown material from juniorgeneral.org to create yourself counters for the game. The topdown tanks will take 2 squares room. There is also possibility to size the tanks to one square size. I made 10 M1 Abrams 10 Challenger II, 6 T-72, 6 T-80 and 6 T-80U tank counters.

I made variant rules for tanks and also 9 special rules to make the game more fun (Fortified Buildings, Tank Ammo Used, Fanatical Insurgents, Allied Units Determined by nationality and quality, Night Raids, Airstrikes, Mine-clearing Line Charges, Improved Outer Tactical Vest and Insurgent Mortar Team). Opportunity Fire (already in somebody`s variant) is introduced now also to battle between tanks or between tank and a RPG (Abrams against other tanks and Allied Elite units against Insurgents get +1 to Opportunity Fire).

I like very much also the other variants: Bruce on the Ground Variant and Variant for up to 7 players. I strongly suggest you use also them. You will find them from the older Forum posts. Just take from them what you like most. I suggest you do the same with my variant. I liked most the rule that every soldier moves and fires "like a unit" and may use his special abilities without limitations. And also the rule that if a unit enters either of the front 3 (top) squares of an enemy unit, they would have to end their move. No sneaking past and full fire from the rear.

I have not yet used the rules, but they are written for solo game play in mind. I am appreciating any comments and suggestions for these rules to become more complete and useful.

You will find the Tracks on the Ground Variant rules from File section AS COMMENTS where there are optional Game Counters file available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Owen
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Variant Rules introducing tanks, fortified buildings, tank main gun ammo usage, Fanatical Insurgents & Allied Units determined by nationality and quality
I was skeptical about the historical accuracy of introducing tanks to BotG until I found this article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Rautavaara
Finland
Espoo 16
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Variant Rules introducing tanks, fortified buildings, tank main gun ammo usage, Fanatical Insurgents, Allied Units determined by nationality and quality, Night Raids, Airstrikes, Mine-clearing Line Charges, Improved Outer Tactical Vest, I. Mortar
Thank you for the article, Paul. It is very interesting. It mentions why tanks are good to have: "Tanks give you immediate, protected firepower and mobility to address a threat that`s beyond the range of machine guns." Tanks are faster to respond to Insurgent threats than airstrikes. Treads on the Ground.

Thanks to Paul I read the article, which gave me ideas about planning more rules for BotG. My Variant includes now MORE Special Rules: Night Raids, Airstrikes and Mine-clearing Line Charges (effective to 100 yards range, my rule changes it to 10 squares). Now all what still needs to be done, is to create some cool fanmade scenarios.

The article describes Afghanistan, where Taliban and US Marines, British, Danish and Canadian forces fight. Kandahar and Helmand province are mentioned. Petraeus (counter-insurgency; COIN handbook author) gave green light for an Abrams company (16 tanks are mentioned) to join the forces against Taliban. So now we can use Afghanistan as a historical context of fight against insurgency. Let`s not forget Iraq and Somalia.

Update: Look ! My introduced variant rules have got MORE Special Rules to # 9 ! cool Also adding a rule for elite units; +1 defense with Leader two squares distance away because they are so well trained and have better Morale than regulars. Updating also tank combat. Firing with tank gun/RPG against a tank: First roll for hit (RPG modifiers), then take into account the facing of the tank and roll for damage !

Update 2: I made Insurgent Mortar Team comprising 81mm standing man loading & the mortar (1st counter; 0,5" large) and kneeling team man handing ammunition (2nd counter). Also made 60mm kneeling mortar man loading (3rd counter). All can be found at juniorgeneral.org Make them 75 %.Insurgent Mortar Team Special Rule updated: Both must be next to each other.

Update 3: I have playtested and edited the variant. The rules are now clearer and all redundant is edited for shorter rules. Rules also are changed in some points.

Update 4: RANDOM EVENTS TABLE (or how to get those tanks in play / out of play).

Update 5: Addition to Opportunity Fire die rolls: +1 modifier to M1 Abrams vs. tank & Elite unit vs. Insurgents.

Update 6: Special Abilities without limitations. Movement to Enemy Front.

Update 7: More Elite units ! Special Boat Service for British. Airborne (VDV) for Russians.

Update 8: Again edited for shortness of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nigel macaulay
msg tools
Hi, trying to create a wargame that uses some of the features of this game along with zombiecide and a nutS! Game and wondered if anyone has a list of the insurgents cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Rautavaara
Finland
Espoo 16
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Place 1 (7), 2 (5), 3 (3) or 4 (2) new insurgents (INS) in the closest unoccupied window or door space & fire.
- Move 1 (5), 2 (4), 3 (3), or 4 (2) INS max. 5 spaces & fire on closest allied (ALL) forces.
- May Medivac one injured ALL member to closest zone (green) to restore full health (2).
- INS take cover and may not move or fire (10).
- Move all INS max. 5 spaces each & fire on closest ALL forces (1).
- Closest INS becomes a HWE, DEM expert or (any out of range) SNIP for rest of game (1 each).
- As above but only for the turn and fires (2 each).
- Closest INS throws grenade towards ALL team (2).
- Replace any killed in action team member with a GI. No INS can fire (2).
- Closest door explodes (IED, 2).
- Place max. 2 GIs (if available) adjacent to team leader as reinforcements (1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.