Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: syntax [+] [View All]
Gordon Wong
Hong Kong
West Point
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!
After a couple of games, I feel RA is not too good though it's 11th. It's luck dependent and the game play is simple and less choice of decisions. It's a kind of those like Settlers and Ticket to Ride games. Please let me know if I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought this game looked horrible, and I played the free AI version of it in the links just now...

I think I'm gonna go out and buy it. Sure it's a little random but it just seems like good mindless fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Agape wrote:
Hi all!
After a couple of games, I feel RA is not too good though it's 11th. It's luck dependent and the game play is simple and less choice of decisions. It's a kind of those like Settlers and Ticket to Ride games. Please let me know if I missed something.

Well, I personally don't think you missed anything, because I agree with you, but there are a bunch of people here who think otherwise. Tastes vary. There's no need to like a game jsut because a lot of other people rated it highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I say it really is that good. It combines the deft touch of puerto rico with an interactive party-game atmosphere. Each move, whether a draw or a bid, is anticipated and watched by the whole group.

There are a string of tiles up on the block. Some one will get them. At least six inter-related factors affect their value either up or down. RA is not trivial!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is that good.

Any game where you draw tiles from a bag is going to be luck based. If you cannot handle games with more than Puerto Rico & Caylus' amount of luck, then this (and many others) is not the game for you.

If you analyze the value of each lot of tiles' value to you & your opponents, then you may play well against Bots. But I think Ra is as much about sizing up your opponents strengths & fears as anything else. You can get them to overbid for something, or hold off on "Ra"ing an auction because you know they will be afraid to call it.

Quote:
It's luck dependent and the game play is simple and less choice of decisions.

You could easily say the same thing about Poker and a good player could beat you every time with very little choices & all those lucky/unlucky hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ra is that good.

There are a few guys who dominate the world boardgaming championship every year. This wouldn't be possible if it were all luck. Especially in 3 player games, the ability to choose when to call an auction that benefits you over your opponents can both have a big effect on the game and can be a difficult thing to determine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben ben
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
No doubt, RA is a game less demand in tactic or strategy, yet it suit some junior gamer to play or start with. Although I rate it 6 myself, but I would definitely introduce it to some beginner or play around it while family gathering.

Somehow, luck is important for all time no matter inside or outside a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agape wrote:
After a couple of games...

There is your "problem".

I felt the same way. It usually seemed fairly random. After around 15 plays (most of them losses) it finally clicked and now I feel like I am in control of my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Agape wrote:
After a couple of games...

There is your "problem".

I felt the same way. It usually seemed fairly random. After around 15 plays (most of them losses) it finally clicked and now I feel like I am in control of my game.

I had the same experience. I downloaded and played the computer version with AI. The first dozen games were not good and sometimes quite frustrating. After a while the scoring system clicks and you start understanding the strategies better. I can't say what percentage of the time I win now but it's reasonably often. I'm looking forward to my next games against some human opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RA is a game about timing, timing, timing!!. When to call RA? When to draw another tile? When to risk drawing tiles at the end? When to push the bid? When to attempt to steal an auction for a minimal bid? When to judge that the value of a bidding cube might be important in the last round?

You need to have the sense of a good Poker Player! As Kenny Rodgers sang! You need to know when to hold them! know when to fold them! know when to walk away and when to run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron's right. I need to expound on the Ra/Poker connection in a strategy article, if I ever write one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Farrell, who I think is one of the best boardgame commentators around, has a great article about Ra on his blog. His article compares Ra and Beowulf, another Knizia gem, and provides a lot of insight into what makes those two games so challenging. Here's the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/c_farrell/iblog/C2097221587/E2006072...

I hope he article helps to increase your appreciation for a true classic game. It did for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.