8 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Asking for suggestion please. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone came up with this kind of variant?

Only put cultist inside the monster cup on first mystery. When cultist monster defeated put it back inside the monster cup.

When the first mystery is solved, add other monsters(preferably fit thematically with the AOO selected) in the cup.

On final mystery reckoning on monster always trigger on mythos phase.

I want to try this out but I don't know what monsters fits which GOO. Maybe some of you who are Lovecraft savvy could give me some pointers or maybe a reference.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually the first mystery is about 60% of the game (since your solving rumors, powering up etc).. Only cultist would probably make it too easy. If you took out all the 4+ health monsters I would understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could I would fill the entire cup with Cultists....
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
If I could I would fill the entire cup with Cultists....
whistle

I believe that is entirely allowable, with one small requirement:
The only Ancient One you can play against this way is Abhoth from the Under the Pyramids expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Frog wrote:

Only put cultist inside the monster cup on first mystery. When cultist monster defeated put it back inside the monster cup.

When the first mystery is solved, add other monsters(preferably fit thematically with the AOO selected) in the cup.

I want to try this out but I don't know what monsters fits which GOO. Maybe some of you who are Lovecraft savvy could give me some pointers or maybe a reference.

Thanks.

I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to create some kind of story? Like, the Monsters don't really start bothering the Investigators until they solve the first Mystery? Until then, there are just Cultists running around?

And when you're fighting Cthulhu, for example, you'd rather have Cthulhu-related Monsters only?

Also, are you trying to fix a problem or just create a different way to play once in a while?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Ultimate Frog wrote:

Thanks.

I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to create some kind of story? Like, the Monsters don't really start bothering the Investigators until they solve the first Mystery? Until then, there are just Cultists running around?

And when you're fighting Cthulhu, for example, you'd rather have Cthulhu-related Monsters only?

Also, are you trying to fix a problem or just create a different way to play once in a while?

1. Yes, to simulate rising danger, or "the shit got real" feel.

2. Maybe cthulhu are more related with deep ones or star spawn? I dunno, thats why I am asking for reference.

3. No problem need fixing, the game is great the way it is. Just trying to spice it up for personal use. And with all the random other worldly stuff and encounters, I just thought the monsters with the same theme that is related with the GOO would help to mask the random feel from the encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this sounds like a great idea. One of my beefs with the game is how it feels like a random monster fest, rather than unearthing a conspiracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So? Do you know which monsters goes with which AOO?

I already tested this with cultist plus other generic monsters (like ghost, zombies etc) for first mystery.

Second mystery I added the rest of them in.

On the third mystery, monsters reckoning effects always active.

LoL.... the monsters are chasing the investigators like crazy, some turn raises doom up to 4.

Crazy hard, but beatable by managing monsters disposal.
Ah... fun day for a masochist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.