Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb
Have been interested in MoM for a while but never bought the first edition as couldn't be played solo.

Just purchased the second edition and love it with the app. Noticed it has a conversion kit for first edition stuff so was wondering if I should buy the first edition & expansions to add to the game or wait for second edition expansions to be produced (am assuming that will happen).

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much cheaper to wait.

Expansions are due this fall, contain the same content as the 1E expansions spread over two boxes, and are a MSRP of $49.99 each.

The 2E expansions are just the minis and tiles, as the "conversion kit" included in the base game has all the necessary tokens and cards.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/12/a-horro...

If you buy the 1E expansions you will pay more and end up with a bunch of cards/tokens etc. that will essentially be useless to you.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
The first edition and its expansions tend to be much more expensive than the upcoming products that will bring their 2e-useable bits to new players. The upcoming releases are listed at $50 each (so $100 for everything you can use in 2e), and you can probably expect them to sell for a bit less than that.

Only buy the 1e stuff if you can somehow find it cheap, or really want the option to play 1 vs many, which was the 1e method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not interested in playing with one player as Keeper vs. Investigator(s), then don't bother chasing down the 1st edition stuff. Unless, of course, you can get it cheaply - which I doubt. 1st edition stuff has been at a premium for a while now.

If you're solely wanting to play solo with the app and have no interest in the 1st edition play, just wait until the expansion minis/boards.

EDIT: Ninja'd like a MOfo! You people are on top of it today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG already announced 2 expansions that cover 1e and the 2 expansions for "fall".
I'd wait and get those myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a ninja convention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
It's a ninja convention!

What a strange concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
It's a ninja convention!

What a strange concept.

!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My advice is to watch the secondary market. I was recently able to get 1st edition base game used for $35.

Since the new expansions will be $50 each, if you see used copies cheaper then grab them, otherwise wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
daveyleedsUK wrote:
Have been interested in MoM for a while but never bought the first edition as couldn't be played solo.

Just purchased the second edition and love it with the app. Noticed it has a conversion kit for first edition stuff so was wondering if I should buy the first edition & expansions to add to the game or wait for second edition expansions to be produced (am assuming that will happen).

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

If you have no interest in playing 1st edition and just want the components for 2nd edition, just wait for the expansion kits.

FYI: There are also going to be subtle differences in the tiles:

1) The Line-of-Sight dots found on 1E tiles are gone from promo pics. This makes sense. LoS markers aren't used or referenced in 2E.
2) The text boxes around the room names will either have a slight yellow hue or not, signifying if a room is considered outdoors or indoors. For the most part, common sense.
3) The expansion icons for 1E base game, Forbidden Alchemy, and Call of the Wild will be next consistent with how it appears on 2E tiles. These icons are referenced every single time a new tile is generated. Nice for organization and consistency.

Like I said, small differences. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get the originals for a price that works for you and want to play them as well as have their contents for 2E, get them. If you only want 2E, wait for the packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
It's becoming known, despite the best efforts of FF, that 2e is the poorer version. Replayability is a huge problem because 2e has none of the divergent storylines like 1e. Where you could get 3 different plays out of each scenario in 1e, in 2e you get one play per scenario. There is one scenario in 2e that chooses two npcs as culprits, and you are tasked to find out who. Those two can change, yet the scenario is "solved" in the same way each time. That's as close as 2e comes to divergent stories and it's just that scenario, and the longest one to boot.

When staff/fans are asked about this directly, they obfuscate and pretend they misunderstood the question and you get a lot of talk about tile and monster placement variance. The person asking the question doesn't know enough to realize they are being misled. After seeing it in every thread as an answer, on bgg and ff boards, there's no way it's just a coincidence. A few of us are out here being honest about it, the buying customer deserves to know they won't get two different plays out of the paltry four (!) scenarios offered.

Buy first edition. Soon. It has problems to be sure, but you can play without the app, though it's a mother to setup. You'll be glad one day you got it when you could, before people realized 2e offered only the slightest nod to replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
It's becoming known, despite the best efforts of FF, that 2e is the poorer version. Replayability is a huge problem because 2e has none of the divergent storylines like 1e. Where you could get 3 different plays out of each scenario in 1e, in 2e you get one play per scenario. There is one scenario in 2e that chooses two npcs as culprits, and you are tasked to find out who. Those two can change, yet the scenario is "solved" in the same way each time. That's as close as 2e comes to divergent stories and it's just that scenario, and the longest one to boot.

When staff/fans are asked about this directly, they obfuscate and pretend they misunderstood the question and you get a lot of talk about tile and monster placement variance. The person asking the question doesn't know enough to realize they are being misled. After seeing it in every thread as an answer, on bgg and ff boards, there's no way it's just a coincidence. A few of us are out here being honest about it, the buying customer deserves to know they won't get two different plays out of the paltry four (!) scenarios offered.

Buy first edition. Soon. It has problems to be sure, but you can play without the app, though it's a mother to setup. You'll be glad one day you got it when you could, before people realized 2e offered only the slightest nod to replayability.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is obfuscating and pretending to misunderstand the question. Some of us just outright disagree with you. That is possible you know.

You see similar answers about replayability because a lot of people disagree with you. It isn't some giant conspiracy to mislead people. I don't know if you realize how paranoid you come across. You sound like Mulder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
It's becoming known, despite the best efforts of FF, that 2e is the poorer version.

Many people are saying it. Sad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
You'll be glad one day you got it when you could, before people realized 2e offered only the slightest nod to replayability.

Personally, I'll take playability over replayability.

1ed would never get to the table for our group (nobody wants to be the keeper), while 2ed does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:
It's becoming known, despite the best efforts of FF, that 2e is the poorer version. Replayability is a huge problem because 2e has none of the divergent storylines like 1e. Where you could get 3 different plays out of each scenario in 1e, in 2e you get one play per scenario.

It depends what you want out of the game. The stories in 1E were very light, whereas those in 2E have far, far more detail. I'd wager the word count for one 2E scenario is significantly larger than for all three variants of a 1E scenario.

I actually think 2E has far more replayability, because of the different layouts, monsters, clues and so on. But as I say: it depends what you want. If you absolutely must have a different story and objective each time, then no, the game doesn't offer that. But you do get mechanical differences.

It's worth noting that between the 15 variants in the base game and 9 in Forbidden Alchemy, all 24 of them are "follow the linear clue trail". You get a clue, get two sentences of story, and figure out where it is telling you to go next, and repeat. Once you get the last one, you'll then either have to kill a thing or escape.

In 2E the final objective might always be the same, the story might be ultimately the same set up, but there are multiple routes to it. You don't have time to explore everything. And what you happen to find first might direct you to the same thing in a different way. Sure, after a single play you could follow the same route every time (if you can find out where those things are located in the new layout) but you can also explore and try and find a different way to do things.

In comparison to 1E, it does depend a bit on how you played it. If you had a great Keeper that put a lot of effort into embelleshing the story beyond what was on the cards, and could truly make the different scenarios *feel* really different then yeah, maybe this isn't as strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:

Do you talk about anything else? Every thread you are in you say the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:

Do you talk about anything else? Every thread you are in you say the same thing.

It is clearly a sock puppet account created just to post his paranoid rants on this game. Let me be clear, people are free to dislike MoM 2E, it is not a game for everyone. However, this guys paranoid suggestions that everyone who likes the game and isn't worried about replayability must somehow be in FFGs pocket and intentionally misleading people is just ridiculous. I am hoping he gets tired of ranting and goes away, because frankly it is cluttering up the boards and isn't helping anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest K
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
It's becoming known, despite the best efforts of FF, that 2e is the poorer version. Replayability is a huge problem because 2e has none of the divergent storylines like 1e. Where you could get 3 different plays out of each scenario in 1e, in 2e you get one play per scenario.

Funny, even the first scenario has at least 3 different variations on the story line depending on your actions and timing. It's almost like your complete post is nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
California
flag msg tools
This thread is getting a bit off topic, but I will say (as someone who has everything for both editions) that the 1st Edition monsters made an appearance in my very first play of the first scenario, but all of the tiles were from second edition. It will take me a while to have an opinion on replayability, but I was disappointed that the release of 2nd edition included only 4 scenarios. Seems kinda chintzy for a $100 game.

Still, the app format enables constant release of content independent of physical expansions, and that digital content can be free or paid. I hope FFG will release many more scenarios, including some that are not tied to physical expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Brigeiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
CastroMax wrote:

Still, the app format enables constant release of content independent of physical expansions, and that digital content can be free or paid. I hope FFG will release many more scenarios, including some that are not tied to physical expansions.

This ^ they can always release more scenarios, or maybe even create a story editor mode so people can create and share scenarios, maybe even kinda like 1$-5$ scenarios, people could create and sell scenarios they can do a whole lot with this if they play their cards correctly

(personally think will not happen but a man can hope, PS. the player to player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.