SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: So how much is this game worth getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know when we can expect the game in Europe, was looking for a copy on BGG market and stumbled upon:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/988195

so just a total ripoff or are these normal prices for the game until it gets out in the wild?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's profiteering. The publisher sold less than 200 copies at Gencon, their hope was to get them to early adopters who were eager to play, but some of them were scooped up by scalpers who saw a profit opportunity. There aren't going to be many of those, so, realistically, the price will be very high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to say it's reasonable.

"What?!?!"

Here's the deal: at that price you're paying full MSRP for the game, plus probably $20 S&H, and then you're paying for the privilege of not having to wait an extra month or two for the game to come out. Maybe three months! Maybe a year!

But by this time next year, copies of this game will be easy to get for less than $70, and maybe sooner, maybe even by Christmas.

At that price I can wait, but that seller is betting somebody out there can't wait at that price. Or maybe they're hoping there'll be a huge demand and somebody will snag it after the first printing sells out. Either way, more power to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you plan on playing it today, just wait for the actual release. September-ish? Maybe October.

These people are taking advantage of the fact they were there at GenCon as a VIG when the company only were able to air-ship about 150 copies (production is still ongoing). It sucks but it's not like PHG has any way to sniff out resellers before the fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah they should make customers at Gen Con rip open their package on the spot before purchasing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Yeah they should make customers at Gen Con rip open their package on the spot before purchasing...

250 $ is a total rip-off. Just wait a couple of weeks. Most major German online retailers have listed the game for waaaaay under 100 Euros with an availability in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

... and name the sample adviser card in the rulebook (in ink) in the case of SeaFall. Make it undeniably obvious that the game is "used".

(And it's looking to me as though October is more likely for non-preorder retail -- not sure about Europe.)

So if you're desperate to play, I guess you can pay to do so. But you'd also be feeding the trolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

I do this already to try and snag an autograph from the developers. I also have never tried to sell games after buying them at Gen Con. It makes sense that people would want to try and sell something that has a low supply while they can. It's basic economics. It's not something I'd do though since I'd be wanting to play the game so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

Hah! This is actually a pretty good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It's profiteering. The publisher sold less than 200 copies at Gencon, their hope was to get them to early adopters who were eager to play, but some of them were scooped up by scalpers who saw a profit opportunity. There aren't going to be many of those, so, realistically, the price will be very high.
You mean it is a supply and demand related situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
No one can make you pay a ridiculous price unless you want to.

I once sold a copy of Antiquity for $450. The guys friends and I told him the price was too high but he insisted that it wasn't and he forced me to take his money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure it's not an *ahem* pirated copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never seen a negative marketplace rating before

Nofunatalll wrote:
I don't know when we can expect the game in Europe, was looking for a copy on BGG market and stumbled upon:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/988195

so just a total ripoff or are these normal prices for the game until it gets out in the wild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rothe
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People. Stop. Get ahold of yourself. It's a cardboard box full of cardboard. It is not worth this outrageous amount. Stop perpetuating scalpers ability to rip people off. Self control is a gift, use it, save money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

I don't think that would affect the price much. For this kind of game, NIS is really just a proxy for "not dinged up from play or otherwise damaged" but if people knew the situation (of people being required to open it on the spot) and the seller included pictures and represented it wasn't played, I can't see much of a dropoff. People are just desperate to play the game and there are so many in the hobby now, including people for whom $200+ isn't really that much to blow for the privilege of playing this game early in their group (or people for whom it is a lot but who are making a huge sacrifice to get this, though I suspect the number in that group is quite small).

No offense to this game (Daviau is pretty great), but once they get production ramped up it has "Black Friday sale" written all over it to me just based on past experience. Won't stop people from paying the prices for early access though. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
jlrothe wrote:
People. Stop. Get ahold of yourself. It's a cardboard box full of cardboard. It is not worth this outrageous amount. Stop perpetuating scalpers ability to rip people off. Self control is a gift, use it, save money.

It's not, it's an experience. If it's just carboard it's not worth $60 either.

People will value that experience at what they see fit. Would I spend that much on it? No.

But then, what if I had a group of friends I don't see much, that get together for just one week a year to play board games. And in the past we've marathoned Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy. But waiting for retail means we won't get to play it this year. Would it maybe be worth us all chipping in $50 so we can have the experience we wanted? Might well be.

Equally maybe someone is just really excited about the game and rich. $450 is just money, it's just something printed on bits of paper after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

250 $ is a total rip-off. Just wait a couple of weeks. Most major German online retailers have listed the game for waaaaay under 100 Euros with an availability in September.

Yeah I just pre ordered a copy for $43
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
You mean it is a supply and demand related situation?

Not quite -- there will be plenty of supply eventually. It's more that the business decided to release a few early copies to promote the game.

In a functional supply and demand situation, the high prices will lead to more of the item being produced -- which will be a good thing since it will satisfy that excess demand. Here, there are already more copies being printed, so the high prices don't serve a useful economic benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
Here, there are already more copies being printed, so the high prices don't serve a useful economic benefit.

In theory, the high prices should move the games to the people who value them the most. If it's worth $400 to me to have the game now rather than in a month, and it's only worth $40 to you, then you can sell your copy to me for MSRP+$200 and we're both happier.

However, it would be even better if the publisher could just find the people who want the game the most and sell it directly to them, rather than have scalpers jump in the middle to grab the few copies and jack up the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiran Wagle
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

That would certainly reduce the opportunity for price gouging. They also could've pulled the metal coins and sold the game for a bit less (since they could sell the coins separately--they're the nicest coins I've ever seen and I plan to buy several sets.) The lack of shrink and the lack of coins would make the first 150 sets worth a lot less to scalpers.

~ Kiran <entropy@prismnet.com>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KWagle wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

That would certainly reduce the opportunity for price gouging. They also could've pulled the metal coins and sold the game for a bit less (since they could sell the coins separately--they're the nicest coins I've ever seen and I plan to buy several sets.) The lack of shrink and the lack of coins would make the first 150 sets worth a lot less to scalpers.

~ Kiran <entropy@prismnet.com>

I was under the impression that the metal coins at GenCon WERE being sold separately, and the preorders from PlaidHat were the only ones getting them for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Yes. It's almost as if they sailed over to one island, harvested some cubes of (ex-)wood, moved them to another island, and offloaded them for gold, or something ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triboluminous wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Yes. It's almost as if they sailed over to one island, harvested some cubes of (ex-)wood, moved them to another island, and offloaded them for gold, or something ...

So ... basically Gencon was a giant demo of the Traders Guild? They even used an advisor:

Renowned Game Designer Rob Daviau

Trade: +138 boxes; must be resolved in 30 minutes or less
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I almost feel bad for that scalper. Paying high price for a game they never planned to play and probably won't break even when everyone starts buying for cheaper online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiran Wagle
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
I almost feel bad for that scalper. Paying high price for a game they never planned to play and probably won't break even when everyone starts buying for cheaper online.

The game won't be available for a while. Much like Vast. My friend bought a copy at Gen Con, he could sell it now and buy two copies in March. But that's a long time from now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.