Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: questions about fortiy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Manzo
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I have been playing Marvel's Legendary game for a while and recently purchased the Legendary Civil War expansion game. I was playing the "Authoritarian Iron Man Mastermind", and the directions of fortify was confusing. The "Authoritarian Iron Man Mastermind" card says Authoritarian Iron Man fortifies the next city space to his right, starting with the Bridge. You can't fight him while there's a villain in that space. The Villain in that space get a plus 3 attack. So a mastermind comes out the bridge is fortified, I defeat the villain on the bridge. If another villain moves on the bridge is the bridge still fortified. Also if a second mastermind comes out does that fortify the bridge again, or does it fortify the street and is the bridge still fortified? Second question. "Ms. Marvel" card says Escape:fortify a HQ space. While it's fortified heroes can't be gained from that space. Do we choose which HQ space is fortified, and since the card says while it's fortified, would indicate that it can be unfortified, what would unfortify the space? Final question. "Yellowjacket" card says escape:fortify the hero deck. while it's fortified whenever a hero in the HQ cost 7 or more ko that hero. Does this mean that if Yellowjacket escapes, and there is cards of 7 or higher in the HQ you KO it and if another card comes out later do you KO it or is the deck unfortified. I hope someone can answer these three questions. WE really enjoy the game and want to be sure we are playing it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Man only fortifies one space at a time. You don't use his tactic cards, you just use him. So Master Strike 1: fortify the bridge. Master Strike 2: he moves to the streets, and so on until he winds up in the sewer. The space remains fortified until he moves. Once you hit a Master Stike ONE city space will be fortified for the rest of the game, and any villain in that space will cost 3 more to fight.

Ms. Marvel: Yes, you choose the space she fortifies. To unfortify it (same with any place fortified by a villain) you just fight that villain again. Then they will go to your victory pile as normal.

Yellowjacket: You're right. KO all the 7+ cost heroes. Now and in the future until you defeat Yellowjacket off of the hero deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Alvarez
United States
California
flag msg tools
In the case of Auth Iron Man, you would use his mastermind card to fortify the city space, correct? If so, does that mean when you fight him(when his city space is clear), do you take a tactic card and return his Mastermind card to the Mastermind slot on the board? Or do you only get a tactic, and the Mastermind card stays on the city space you fought him at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cybercloud03 wrote:
In the case of Auth Iron Man, you would use his mastermind card to fortify the city space, correct? If so, does that mean when you fight him(when his city space is clear), do you take a tactic card and return his Mastermind card to the Mastermind slot on the board? Or do you only get a tactic, and the Mastermind card stays on the city space you fought him at?

You take one of his tactics cards and his mastermind card stays in the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Jones
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually just use one of the Master Strike cards to show which city space is fortified, that way Iron Man's Mastermind card can stay visible so you can refer to it for Strike actions, attack strength etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can remember that way, sure, but when I attempted to do that, we started to think that each Master Strike forever fortified their space, leading to an entire fortified city. That is definitely not the case, and this misunderstanding caused a lot of frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Chamberlain
msg tools
Confused cause I have not read anything on his card saying he enters the city himself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
He does not technically enter the city, he fortifies a space. I suppose that would matter for Patrol mechanics, but not much else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sierra W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We are playing with Authoritarian Iron Man and we are still really confused about the fortify aspect. I have read all the threads but can anyone break it down for us some more? Lol I would appreciate it! We're playing with scheme Reveal Heroes Secret Identities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
SWilson9253 wrote:
We are playing with Authoritarian Iron Man and we are still really confused about the fortify aspect. I have read all the threads but can anyone break it down for us some more? Lol I would appreciate it! We're playing with scheme Reveal Heroes Secret Identities.

Authoritarian Iron Man

Always Leads: Superhuman Registration Act
Master Strike: Authoritarian Iron Man fortifies the next city space to his right, starting with the Bridge. You can't fight him while there's a Villain in that space.
Villains in that space get +3 Attack.

So here's an explanation, hopefully this will help.

Over on your Mastermind space, you should have a pile of 4 face-down Mastermind Tactics, with Iron Man's Mastermind card face-up on top.

The Master Strike says "Authoritarian Iron Man fortifies the next city space to his right, starting with the Bridge. You can't fight him while there's a Villain in that space." So you do the first part first. Take the actual Iron Man Mastermind card (not the Mastermind Tactics underneath) and move it from the Mastermind Space to the Bridge.

Because this is a "fortify" effect, Iron Man does not actually ENTER the city like a normal villain. He works sort of like a modifier for whatever space he is in. He doesn't "take up" that space, which is how he and a villain can both be in the same place at the same time. If you have ever played the scheme Portals to the Dark Dimension (from the Base Set, I believe) it's very similar to how those Scheme Twists become "Portals" that modify the city space they are on.

You can even place the Iron Man card ABOVE the city space, rather than directly on it, to help remind you that villains can still enter Iron Man's space. Just remember that while Iron Man fortifies a city space, any villain in that city space gets +3 attack.

So there's a couple more points where you might be hung up:
1. Subsequent Master Strikes
2. Fighting the Mastermind

1. Master Strike #1 moves Iron Man over to the Bridge (on it, over it, wherever. You can even use a little Iron Man LEGO guy to represent that he fortifies that space). Master Strike #2 moves Iron Man to the Streets. He now ONLY fortifies the Streets, and the Bridge is now no longer fortified. Each subsequent Master Strike moves him one space to the right, until he winds up in the Sewers with Twist #5. If you are playing with more than 5 Master Strikes, Iron Man will stay in the Sewers no matter how many additional Strikes are played after the fifth.

2. If you want to fight Iron Man before ANY Master Strikes have been played (meaning his card is still on the Mastermind space) then go right ahead, there is no restriction. However, once he has begun fortifying city spaces, you have to make sure that whichever space he is fortifying has no villain in it. If his space IS clear, and you have enough Attack to fight him, then you can fight him as normal, take one of his Tactics, do its effect, and put it in your victory pile. The Iron Man Mastermind card itself WILL NOT MOVE when you fight him. Normally fighting a villain that is fortifying an area will remove that fortification, however, because you don't take the actual Mastermind card when you fight him, but rather a Tactic card, Iron Man stays put until a Strike moves him again, or the game ends.

Clear as mud?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I only just purchased Civil War and was confused about A.I.M's fortify ability but this post cleared everything up.

Thanks Runnestrand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.