Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Funny, I actually sought this out because I was worried the master set had 'lost something' (based on comments), but it turns out, I think the Master Set version is better in almost every way (except the lack of leaders, which I'm sure will be fixed by an expansion)

So my question is, what rules from the new set do you think could be incorporated easily? The new draft rules seems easy enough. Removal of the rule of 3 maybe (and limiting each action to once per round to compensate). Of course the biggest flaw is the icons vs the text, the icons make it really hard to teach to new players, even players who know IS. Let me know your thoughts! Since I own this version I'd love to stick with it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who bought the master set mainly to steal the bits from the box to add to my existing sets, and to bite the bullet in case another expansion is made, which I'm sure wouldn't be backward compatible, I have a few thoughts to share.

As for icons vs text - I find the icons easier because you can see them from across the table in any orientation and know what they do without having to read text upside down.

To me the only rule worth entertaining the idea to bring back to the original versions is the drafting rule. The original rule is no big deal once you've seen it done, but I do think trying to teach it to a new player is a bit much. To me the solutions are, use the Master Set draft, or just handle that part of the game yourself. Why teach them how to draw the cards for the draft market if you can just handle that part of the game for the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
As someone who bought the master set mainly to steal the bits from the box to add to my existing sets, and to bite the bullet in case another expansion is made, which I'm sure wouldn't be backward compatible, I have a few thoughts to share.

As for icons vs text - I find the icons easier because you can see them from across the table in any orientation and know what they do without having to read text upside down.

To me the only rule worth entertaining the idea to bring back to the original versions is the drafting rule. The original rule is no big deal once you've seen it done, but I do think trying to teach it to a new player is a bit much. To me the solutions are, use the Master Set draft, or just handle that part of the game yourself. Why teach them how to draw the cards for the draft market if you can just handle that part of the game for the table.

My thoughts about the icons across the table were the same as yours until I actually played it. I just looked at the spoils mostly, because I was attacking more for my benefit than their detriment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.