mb
Eternal Ember Card Text wrote:
SPELL

Cast:
Deal 1 damage.

OR

Cast: Cast one of your prepped
spells without discarding it.

Question: Can Eternal Ember's second option be activated on Eternal Ember itself, to perform the first option without discarding it?

Normally, I would expect not - but it would certainly fit the title of the card thematically to allow it. So... official verdict?

(The follow-up question would be, if I can cast it on itself to activate the first option without discarding it, can I therefore alternatively cast it choosing itself to activate the second option, to cast it targeting a different prepped spell, discarding neither?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rulebook wrote:
Discard it to the top of your discard pile immediately, then
resolve the effect after the word ‘Cast:’ on the card.

The spell is discarded before you resolve it's effect. Therefore you can't use it on itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kha Od Dro is correct. This is on p. 13 of the (Kickstarter version) rulebook. Thanks Kha Od Dro!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Kha Od Dro wrote:
Rulebook wrote:
Discard it to the top of your discard pile immediately, then
resolve the effect after the word ‘Cast:’ on the card.

The spell is discarded before you resolve it's effect. Therefore you can't use it on itself.

I'll add that just for clarification:

Since it is discarded, it is no longer one your prepped spell, and therefore is no longer a valid target for its own effect once the effect is triggered (and on the stack if you're a Magic player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While the 'stack' analogy sort of works, there are very few instances in Aeon's End where an action can interrupt another action. Generally (Always?), as soon as something begins resolving, it must finish resolving before anything else happens.

While MTG's stack is neat and interesting, it doesn't really fit in Aeon's End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've got a double check question on Eternal Ember:

How does this interact with breach +1 damage bonuses and alignment?

Let's say I've got Eternal Ember in open breach 3 and Void Bond (3 damage and can cast any player's prepped spell) in open breach 4.

I use Ember to cast the Void Bond. I'm presuming that Void Bond will do 4 damage (and count as breach 4 aligned for the Wayward)? Ember also gets a +1 damage, right? And since it's a separate spell, this could be targeted independently of the Void damage and would be breach 3 aligned? Then I could cast the Void spell again normally, for a total of 9 damage between the 2 cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:
I've got a double check question on Eternal Ember:

How does this interact with breach +1 damage bonuses and alignment?

Let's say I've got Eternal Ember in open breach 3 and Void Bond (3 damage and can cast any player's prepped spell) in open breach 4.

I use Ember to cast the Void Bond. I'm presuming that Void Bond will do 4 damage (and count as breach 4 aligned for the Wayward)? Ember also gets a +1 damage, right? And since it's a separate spell, this could be targeted independently of the Void damage and would be breach 3 aligned? Then I could cast the Void spell again normally, for a total of 9 damage between the 2 cards?

Yea, sounds like you figured it out.

Whenever you cast a spell from an opened III or IV breach, that spell deals +1 damage. So, your ember will do 1 damage and then cast the void bond which will do 4 damage. Then you could cast your void bond and deal 4 damage, for a total of 9 damage done as 1/4/4 chunks of damage, as you said.

Just to re-iterate for others since it can help to see the answer with multiple explanations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.