Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City is my favorite game. I already own the original game with the Gold & Guns expansion. I'm wondering if there is a reason I wouldnt want to sell my current copies to a friend and buy this Big Box version. Any reason to be cautious?

I see the board has been changed to include a 6th player. Does this have any negative impact for less than 6p games?

On miniature market's page, they don't mention the wooden houses and mountains that I thought came with all versions of this. Am I off the mark?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/quicarcty.html

Any other feedback is welcomed before I drop $100 on a game I already own

Thank you know!

- Curtis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the extra wooden bits are sold separately, unless you backed it during kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wooden pieces (and player mats and player aids) only came with the Kickstarter version. The retail version didn't include any of that.

But as a heads up, you can upgrade your copy with all those bits with this package from Boardgame Bliss...

http://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/carson-city-big-box-u...

And if not, that link will at least give you an idea of what was Kickstarter exclusive.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Box also includes the Horses & Heroes expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the original, but to my knowledge the Big Box doesn't have a different board. The 6th player is added by the Horses and Heroes expansion, which can also be purchased individually.

I just checked the Kickstarter page, and it looks to me as though the wooden replacement bits, player boards, and specialty dice are a Kickstarter exclusive. In fact, you might want to look at the Kickstarter page to determine for yourself what you'd end up with, compared to what you have now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661420780/carson-city-...

Note that there's a set of boxes for what's included (base game and expansions) then a small plus sign and another box with the "Kickstarter exclusives" with a note below that says "these are all the unlocked stretch goals that will be added to the game. (Exclusive to Kickstarter backers)".

There's also a picture of the components of the Horses and Heroes expansion, assuming you buy it separately.

Note that I'm basing the above on what I'm reading on the KS page, so it's possible they changed their minds about what went into non-KS Big Boxes. In any case, I hope this at least gives you useful information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the helpful (and timely) responses. It sounds like buying the upgrade package and possibly the H&H expansion makes more sense for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's out of stock already at MM. As far as I know MM's one-day window was the only chance to buy the big box any version in North America via a normal retail outlet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I haven't played the original, but to my knowledge the Big Box doesn't have a different board. The 6th player is added by the Horses and Heroes expansion, which can also be purchased individually.

There is 1 thing different about the Big Box board that's nice but not essential. There's now an orange space on the action track at the end of the building market. It's really just a reminder that "now you can place those buildings you bought on prior turns and didn't place."

There's also a page in the Big Box rules with additional setup recommendations, like "use the Carson River variant but still use all the mountains", use this set of characters for less money in the game, use that set for less dueling, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know if the river tiles are kickstarter or bixbox. They are nice, though. But there are sooo much charactrs in the bigboxkickstarter. endless variety, really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful (and timely) responses. It sounds like buying the upgrade package and possibly the H&H expansion makes more sense for me.

It may be too late, but here's my two cents on what is in the Big Box Retail, Big Box Kickstarter, and what you need to upgrade, as I was a retailer for the campaign and had some correspondence with Paul Mulders at Quined Games:

1. There are the "KS Exclusives", including:

Mountains
Guns
Houses
Horses
Custom dice in player colors
Player boards
Player aids

For the most part, these are "bling" only. No gameplay components.

2. There are (mostly) gameplay components that were included in all copies of the Big Box (including retail editions). This includes

"A New Beginning" mini-expansion pad for variable setup
Variable river tiles
Teacher personality
Alternate Art Town Hall

3. The Lawyer/Editor tile. This one is unique, in that it is a gameplay components that is kinda sorta KS Exclusive, as it was developed after the campaign ended, and was not included in retail editions of the Big Box. It is also not included in the Carson City promo pack in the BGG Marketplace (which includes the teacher and alternate art town hall). But they will likely be available at some point (and I have some that I haven't put up for sale yet).

4. The Horses and Heroes Expansion. No difference between the contents in the Big Box and the retail edition available separately (and that reminds me that I have a copy I have to put up for sale in the marketplace).

I hope that helps clarify what components you might want, and how you choose to proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the KS page, the river tiles were a non-exclusive KS bonus.

Quote:
... you will notice that the river tiles arenĀ“t exclusive to kickstarter. This does not mean the retail copy of the big box will include it, but this does mean that we might release it as a little add-on for people who want to buy it post kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Couch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can confirm that the river tiles are included in the retail box. It contains none of the wooden pieces that came with the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.