Subject: the opening and beyond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Thomas
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I've been playing this online for a week or so now, I've had games I thought were decent (possibly self-delusional) and games I've thought were absolute disasters (100% correct), but with a common failure to adequately juggle my resources. Mostly I think I get horribly tripped up by the removal of yellow tokens and spend a long time scrambling to make enough food to increase my population, but when I do try to focus on that I lag behind in science & military.

Is this an issue of card combos? What should I be looking to achieve in Antiquity? I've seen a few posts which say not to worry too much about culture production in earlier ages but then I never know when & how to really kick that up a notch either.

Any advice is appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pt280 wrote:
Hi all,

I've been playing this online for a week or so now, I've had games I thought were decent (possibly self-delusional) and games I've thought were absolute disasters (100% correct), but with a common failure to adequately juggle my resources. Mostly I think I get horribly tripped up by the removal of yellow tokens and spend a long time scrambling to make enough food to increase my population, but when I do try to focus on that I lag behind in science & military.

Is this an issue of card combos? What should I be looking to achieve in Antiquity? I've seen a few posts which say not to worry too much about culture production in earlier ages but then I never know when & how to really kick that up a notch either.

This discussion can go on through the ages, but one is clear: light bulbs are essential. Ignore science production and your civilization is going to crush and burn. The following principles might help, although you may freely deviate from these:
- 3rd bronze mine on round #2
- 2nd philosophy on round #3; you may build it on round #2 as well if you get the proper yellow card in the opening round.
- Yellow tokens through Alexander
- White tokens through Pyramids
- Even more light bulbs through Aristotle
- Engineering Genius A is always a good pick, even if you don't get an antiquity wonder, as resources are very scarce at the beginning.

In general: you need to balance all areas. Science, Food, Resources, Population, Culture. The order may vary, but usually science is an early focus and culture a late one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pt280 wrote:
Hi all,

How many workers do you tend to put on mines and farms? How many rounds do you wait to build your second Philosophy? What techs do you typically prioritize taking from the card row? What leaders and wonders do you typically gravitate towards?

It's hard to give tips on how to improve without knowing how you currently play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Mostly I'm trying to gain a general overview of what is close to being considered best play for the first few moves: I've been reading a bunch of other threads and gathering that the major error I'm making is not adding to my science production early enough.

First move (aside from the initial card pick) is always build another bronze: generally I opt to upgrade to iron rather than adding more. Farms I never build more than two and also try to upgrade to irrigation or sometimes selective breeding.

I prefer Homer or Moses, Genghis or Leonardo, always seem to miss out on Nappy/often use Newton, and for the last round I always seem to be outgunned and crossing my fingers for Churchill.

I've never built the Taj but often have used the Universitas to plug science gaps.

So are people usually playing mine, then science, then wonder construction? With engineering genius and urban growth?

Honestly there's a wealth of great material here and I'm thankful for it all, I guess I just gotta play until I really get a feel for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
99% of the time my first two rounds are to build bronze and alchemy. I prefer to build alchemy then bronze when I can, but that requires grabbing Urban Growth in Age A, as was already mentioned.

I never take Moses. While his food discount is nice, it also makes it harder to avoid corruption. I think Atistotle is hands down the
Best Age A leader, and I take him every chance I get. That said, I am starting to really like the new improved Alexander and Homer due the permanent yellow token or happy face (respectively) they can provide. I rarely take Hammy or Ceaser in the New Story, although they're both fine if that's what you end up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
99% of the time my first two rounds are to build bronze and alchemy. I prefer to build alchemy then bronze when I can, but that requires grabbing Urban Growth in Age A, as was already mentioned.

I never take Moses. While his food discount is nice, it also makes it harder to avoid corruption. I think Atistotle is hands down the
Best Age A leader, and I take him every chance I get. That said, I am starting to really like the new improved Alexander and Homer due the permanent yellow token or happy face (respectively) they can provide. I rarely take Hammy or Ceaser in the New Story, although they're both fine if that's what you end up with.

I disagree completely about Moses. He is excellent for early workers, and with the this version is very easy to avoid corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pt280 wrote:
Hi all,

Do not focus on early culture as much as early infrastructure. By that I mean, prioritize food, happiness, science, rock, and military first. You can start producing culture as you go, but if I need strictly happy faces, I am not looking at Drama to fulfill it.
Irrigation is better than Iron.
Alchemy is easier to use properly than Libraries.
Theology is as good as Bread and Circuses, better if Development of Religion came out.
Yellow cards are excellent. Prioritize what you need, you do not have the actions to take them all.
Additional blue pips are massive. Additional yellow pips are better.
Your 3rd MA is better than your 5th CA early.
Do not play events that can hammer you when you are in the mix with other players for the effects. IE do not play Barbarians if you are trending to be the weakest.
Do not play Colonies willy nilly. They are excellent.
Do not over pay for colonies. Remember that you sacrifice the unit used to gain the colony. Keep in mind turn order. If you just ended your turn then sac for a colony, you could be putting yourself at mega risk.
Do not over look Masonry - very useful blue tech.
Do not take Alexander, ramp military with no plan to follow through. You could make yourself the weakest for a while.
Take Knights. Snipe it if you must.
Do not be afraid to have 6 - 8 workers on industry early. I have had very successful games with 4 food and 4 rock early in age 1. The key is knowing how to manage your blue pips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
pt280 wrote:
Hi all,

This discussion can go on through the ages, but one is clear: light bulbs are essential.

I would argue, that falling behind in science production will cripple you. If everyone is making 3 science at the start of the second age, (completely possible if there was a serious military ramp early) then you are fine being at 3 science. More is better, but science is relative to each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you do not need to get upgrade techs(especially not iron) as there are ways around most problems. My recommendation is to get more actions instead, with the yellow cards you can compensate for falling behind in other areas which is super important if you are a new player. Monarchy and Pyramids are the best ways but most of the others are good too.

Checklist for age 1.
Needed:

1) Get more actions. preferably at least 5/3 but 5/2 can work in a low military game.
2) try to get 4 science/turn
3) get at least 1 military tech with a corresponding tactic
4) recruit enough workers to get the maximum for 2 happy when you lose to in the age transition. You should be able to get 4 tokens into the military if needed.

Extra credit:
5) More yellows/free happy
6) Some specilisation/combo that the others have to react to by giving you a military lead or a cultural lead.
7) More food
8) More resources

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Rambo
msg tools
Generally speaking, do you build an additional philosophy lab before or after building the first stage of a wonder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rambo1799 wrote:
Generally speaking, do you build an additional philosophy lab before or after building the first stage of a wonder?
Before. Almost always before. Except if I have a weird opening, like I got Engineering Genius on Round #1 have extra resources on Round #3 that let me complete my wonder (either I didn't build a mine on Round #2 or got extra resources from an event). If I cannot complete my Wonder in a single turn, I'll just build my second Philosophy first and then my wonder.

On a side note: this goes when I have Pyramids. If I draft the Hanging Gardens, I'll just try to build them as late as possible. Having said that, I've discarded that wonder a couple of times at the end of Age I as I had neglected it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rambo1799 wrote:

Definitely depends on the wonder. In general, unless you know what you're doing, stick to philosophy first. But if you have the chance of finishing Pyramids in that turn instead (can happen with the right events and yellow cards), that extra CA is going to be very useful.

Other wonders, not so much. Finishing Hanging Gardens early is kind of pointless; you don't need the happy faces, and losing four/five culture because of delaying it won't lose you the game, and those resources and CAs are very important in the early game. Similarly, Colossus won't give you anything extra for finishing it fast.

The Library is more situational if you get the minerals and the two extra CA, go for it before the lab. You still get the science. But that's only if you can afford the extra CAs. If there's good stuff to grab, you're wating 2 CAs just to enlarge your hand (not needed yet) and for an extra culture or two. So if the row is really useless, and you have the minerals, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yeah I've instituted a lab-after-bronze policy and already find the balance much more to my liking. In the past if I drew a wonder I'd build as soon as I got the third bronze but now I'm holding off until I have the requisite resources/have filled in production gaps.

I'm playing 4-player games and finding yellow cards to be a precarious option for resource production but I'm going to play a few runs foregoing iron to see what i can do with it. Are most people grabbing irrigation? Is anyone really in favour of techs beyond these? They seem to arrive so late but maybe a hectic building spurt in the last few turns might make them worthwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pt280 wrote:
I'm playing 4-player games and finding yellow cards to be a precarious option for resource production but I'm going to play a few runs foregoing iron to see what i can do with it. Are most people grabbing irrigation? Is anyone really in favour of techs beyond these? They seem to arrive so late but maybe a hectic building spurt in the last few turns might make them worthwhile?

Knights is probably the strongest Age I tech, although Alchemy runs it a close second.

Iron, Irrigation, Code of Laws, Warfare, Swordsmen, Theology, Bread and Circuses - all strong, all have their uses.

Cartography, Masonry, Drama, Printing Press, Age I governments - usually ignorable unless you're running a rather out-there strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
By the end of Age I you want to:

Absolutely - Be the strongest (or very close), ending up with minimum 4 military units (mostly Knights or Swordsmen).
Definitely - Build a good wonder: Pyramids, Library, Great Wall. St. Peter’s and the Universitas are okay too. Hanging Gardens is horrible because there is no economic bonus for being “extra happy”. Colossus is horrible compared to the Great Wall.
Definitely - Absent another happiness solution, build a Theology or Bread & Circuses.
If possible - Play Warfare.
If possible - Play Code of Laws, especially if you don’t have the Pyramids.
If possible - Upgrade either to either Alchemy (preferable) or Irrigation (also great) or both (you’re running away with the game).

Age II
Absolutely - Fight hard to be strongest, position yourself for tactics.
Definitely - Round out as many of your civ’s critical areas as you can (Happiness, Actions, Science, Food).
Maybe - Upgrade to Coal. Probably a good idea if you have the Railroad.
Maybe - Get an Age II wonder if you have upgraded rock production. I like to think of any mine production above 3 as purely for building wonders. I get all my other rocks from Yellow cards. The Railroad is still ridiculously good.
You should be so lucky - Start worrying about Culture production.

Age III
Military and science are even more important than they were in earlier Ages. Culture Wars have been dramatically improved. AI, Plunder, and Raid remain among the strongest ways ways to score/deny culture, and they can only be played if you’re strong. Beyond that, Computers are still the best for culture production. They’re even stronger now that Bill Gates was buffed and the Internet is playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keklja Kekic
msg tools
Hi. You said you are playing online. Where exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keklja wrote:
Hi. You said you are playing online. Where exactly?

http://boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.