Matteo Harris
msg tools
Hello everyone
I have recently had the epiphany that I don't really care too much for the painting of miniatures, but I am a huge history guy and love the idea of recreating or creating battles to play with other people and so am looking for something to fill the gap Warhammer and 28mm Ancients has left.Period doesn't really matter but I would lean towards Napoleonic or Ancient.I am looking for any recommmendations you guys can give me along these two lines:

1)A hex based war-game similar to something like the great battles of history series, or just any good hex game that simulates a single battle at a time. My only issue with these is replayibility. Even if it came with multiple scenarios, I would like a game, if one exists where you can create scenarios yourself

2)This is a very dividing topic which I have read some interesting threads about, but that is to use blocks or just bases, possibly with top down counters like those from www.juniorgeneral.org with common wargaming rules like black powder or hail caesar. Does anyone have experience with this? Do you think it would be enjoyable in the long run?
Something like this but with blocks or bases maybe?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk23wxCKNZ8
Thanks in advance for any help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking Commands and Colors: Napoleonic.

It is block-based units with card-driven orders. Very nice components with plenty of expansions available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Harris
msg tools
Ive looked at Commands and Colors a while back and seen several reviews and may eventually purchase it but would prefer, if it exists something less card driven, and more historically accurate. Thanks for the help though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Stang
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Cazzer505 wrote:
Ive looked at Commands and Colors a while back and seen several reviews and may eventually purchase it but would prefer, if it exists something less card driven, and more historically accurate. Thanks for the help though.

Check out the COIN series of games and find the game whose theme appeals to you the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I would recommend posting in the wargame subdomain, you will get lots of answers there, most good too.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Harris
msg tools
Noted and posted there. Thanks

Is it possible to now close this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me just throw ONUS! Rome Vs Carthage out here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Napoleonic/Ancient, but take a look at Strike of the Eagle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Fading Glory if you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Battleground Fantasy Warfare is due for a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexCannon wrote:

ONUS is essentially the same game, but for ancients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Heroes 0f Normandie is a great game that gives a miniatures feel with flat counters. Great WW2 theme, and lots of replayability and expandability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
AlexCannon wrote:

ONUS is essentially the same game, but for ancients.

I've not seen that before: looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely it doesn't take an epiphany to realise you don't like painting miniatures? I've known that since I was 6!

I've had the idea of playing Warhammer with just bases before, I was thinking of printing off 25mm squares of top down pictures of each unit and gluing the pictures to bases... but I dunno, sounded maybe a bit too depressing in the end. "I'm just sat here playing Warhammer with bases... DON'T LOOK AT ME!!"

I get my wargaming fix from hybrid wargame board games like Cyclades, Forbidden Stars, Scythe, Cry Havoc, Eclipse, Star Wars: Rebellion, Blood Rage, Small World or the upcoming Rising Sun etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line is also very good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Commander: Alexander or Field Commander: Napoleon perhaps? Although you didn't mention if you wanted one that was strictly solo or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.