1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Legendary Base Game discontinued? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Greenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon has the base game listed as "Discontinued by Manufacturer" and has dropped it from Amazon Prime. This seems very surprising. Anyone know whats going on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this under news? Does it seem to you that it is confirmed information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
That's odd. My FLGS just got two copies in and didn't mention it going out of print (and they know my love of the game, so would have said something).

Just checked with my FLGS owner -- she says that her distributor still has it and there is no mention of it being limited or going out of print.

That said, it's no longer available on the Upper Deck site.

Short answer, it's news to me, but doesn't mean it isn't true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Still waiting to fight Galactus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the Heroes base set in the UD store
http://upperdeckstore.com/games-collectibles.html?p=2
This must be Dr.Doom's fault cry

EDIT: No news has been posted to UD Legendary Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LegendaryDBG/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Why is this under news? Does it seem to you that it is confirmed information?

I can confirm. It is marked as discontinued on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume it is still a top seller of theirs.

More likely that there is a 2nd edition (Playmat?/ Alt Art?) coming than they drop it all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd edition with no Doom incoming.

There are a few options in varying degrees of awesome/awful.

Most awesome options: All new artwork on the heroes, new playmat with spaces for everything (even "expandable" spaces if they don't want to admit that Bindings/New Recruits exist). The masterminds have an increased power level. Dr. Doom is replaced with a brand new Mastermind. MODOK, maybe. Doombots replaced with AIM Scientists.

Less awesome option: Reprint the base set as is, but replace Doom with an existing Mastermind. This would mean that no one would feel a need to rebuy the set.

Awful option: Reprint the base set as is, but replace Doom with a new, exclusive Mastermind that everyone would want, and basically throw the rest of the cards in the garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:

Most awesome options: All new artwork on the heroes, new playmat with spaces for everything (even "expandable" spaces if they don't want to admit that Bindings/New Recruits exist). The masterminds have an increased power level. Dr. Doom is replaced with a brand new Mastermind. MODOK, maybe. Doombots replaced with AIM Scientists.

Less awesome option: Reprint the base set as is, but replace Doom with an existing Mastermind. This would mean that no one would feel a need to rebuy the set.

Awful option: Reprint the base set as is, but replace Doom with a new, exclusive Mastermind that everyone would want, and basically throw the rest of the cards in the garbage.

Wait...What?!?! NO! option: X-Men are on the outs now as well...all X-Men and villains pulled and replaced as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:

Wait...What?!?! NO! option: X-Men are on the outs now as well...all X-Men and villains pulled and replaced as well.

I think that if they are pulling all of the X-Men they will just come out with a completely new base set with none of the heroes and villains from the current base set. Maybe even using new artwork for all of the standards cards like Troopers, Agents, Wounds, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Set is on the UD website (go to Secret Wars and click link to base game) but is listed as Pre-order. Same art / board shown in pictures. So just waiting for new print run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they pull X-Men wont that mean that a lot of other sets will be affected as their is so many X-Men characters in other sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:
runnestrand wrote:

And no straight X-Men Colossus...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heretek wrote:
Base Set is on the UD website (go to Secret Wars and click link to base game) but is listed as Pre-order. Same art / board shown in pictures. So just waiting for new print run?

Think you nailed it.
"This product is currently out of stock."

So their system probably automatically removes it from the top menu until they get new stock in. With all the releases for GenCon I can see them putting the Base set printing on hold to get out Civil War / Firefly and Big Trouble in Little China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes the most sense, but why would Amazon mark the product as "Discontinued by Manufacturer" rather than just "Out of Stock" like they do other products?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:

I strongly doubt that Doom or the Doombots would disappear.

Again, this is just my understanding from folks in the comics biz I've spoken with and not inside information, but the contract presumably has a clause that says for a predefined period before and after the release of a F4 movie (i.e. during the time that the marketing campaign would have an effect), Marvel has to cut a check to Fox for a portion of their F4 sales to reimburse the movie for the spillover effect of its marketing campaign. As explained to me, this would only pertain to products that contain F4 characters/trademarks/logos on the exterior packaging or in the marketing. Said characters could appear inside the product as long as it could not be reasonably assumed that one might have bought the product because they recognized a character from the movie and its marketing campaign.

On the other hand, there was no God-Emperor Doom in the Secret Wars expansion, so I could totally be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmb
Good thing nobody's panicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
runnestrand wrote:

I strongly doubt that Doom or the Doombots would disappear.

Again, this is just my understanding from folks in the comics biz I've spoken with and not inside information, but the contract presumably has a clause that says for a predefined period before and after the release of a F4 movie (i.e. during the time that the marketing campaign would have an effect), Marvel has to cut a check to Fox for a portion of their F4 sales to reimburse the movie for the spillover effect of its marketing campaign. As explained to me, this would only pertain to products that contain F4 characters/trademarks/logos on the exterior packaging or in the marketing. Said characters could appear inside the product as long as it could not be reasonably assumed that one might have bought the product because they recognized a character from the movie and its marketing campaign.

On the other hand, there was no God-Emperor Doom in the Secret Wars expansion, so I could totally be wrong.

Doom and the Doombots are also the only cards that don't appear on the Marvel 3D trading cards. No reason not to include them unless there was a 100% ban.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Core is not Discontinued.

We are looking into why Amazon has it listed that way. Also we are looking into our website as we have Core on hand and ready to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:

We are looking into why Amazon has it listed that way. Also we are looking into our website as we have Core on hand and ready to ship.

Thanks, Mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awwww.. I really got my hopes up that thus meant a second edition was coming :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Still waiting to fight Galactus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's back up on the UD store.
http://upperdeckstore.com/games-collectibles.html?p=2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:

This is why BGG is so awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife LOVES this game. She got a little depressed that it might be "going away". Fortunately there are something like three new expansions/games AND we already have the base set. (We have six unplayed expansions to get through!!!)

She will be so happy to hear that all is well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I can't believe I read through all this to find it was because of an Amazon error - DOH now I've also added to it shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's ok. Continuously bumping this thread adds to everyone's hopes of a 2nd edition with new art. At least it adds to my hopes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.