Subject: Is solo easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi i played this solo and i think i got all the rules right, played the included solo story and inwas solid with all fibe within 10 flight tokens. No real challenge and didnt fail and misbehavin.

Am i missing something? Doing 5 jobs in 20 flights seems easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have been doing something wrong as it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to complete all 5 in 10 flight actions. It takes time to travel to each of the locations in order to even start most missions and then a lot of them require you to fly to a second location in order to complete them, not to mention having to go to the contacts planets in order to even pick up new jobs. You can only start with 3 jobs in hand, so even if you get some very luck draw ones that go exactly where you need them, you would still have to travel to at least two of the contacts planets to even get jobs from them to attempt.

Without knowing exactly how your play through went, it is hard to guess at what you might have been doing wrong. any chance of a turn by turn walk thru of how your game played out? If not for this one, keep it in mind for the next time you play.

That said, some of the solo play missions are easier than others. The make $15,000 one can be pretty easy for anyone who knows how to play the game well. Try one of the other victory conditions and see if you have the same amount of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Goal 3 should be very challenging to complete within the turn limit. It's exceptionally difficult to not increase the turn allowance if you play with both the Blue Sun and Kalidasa game board expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you drawing a nav card for every single space you enter? That hurdle alone should have made your achievement impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johns H
msg tools
I have found solo play to be rather easy, at least is becomes easy one you are more familiar with the game and really start to know what you are doing. Becoming solid with all 5 core Contacts in 10 turns is totally doable, I have even managed to do it in only 8 turns, went on to complete all 3 solo goals simultaneously in a single game. Needless to say, it was my Perfect Game and I will never get that good of a run ever again.

It has been awhile since I played that game so several details my be foggy, but for those interested that game more or less went as follows:
Started with Mal as my captain, with Zoe, Kaylee, Inara, and River as my crew. Started at Silverhold to pickup a gun (iirc I got one of the sniper rifles) and solidify my Fight skill. Headed over to the space bazaar to start my Amnon Duul job, shopped and got a Crybaby and the Mule. I did my starting Harken job (a quick shipping trip, iirc I actually lost money of that, but not too much and got Solid, so I was ok with it) en-route to Persephone. There I did my Patience Job, to screw over Badger, I then dealt with Badger (I had to laugh a bit at this) for 2 crime jobs, and shopped getting myself a hacking rig. Off to Georgia where I finish my Amnon Duul smuggling job, did the first of my Crime Jobs for Badger, picked up another Crime job from Niska. Unfortunately I didn't manage to find anything worthwhile at Regina and with enough good crime jobs lined up I didn't bother going back to Patience. Now Solid with 4 Contacts I headed back to Alliance space to do my Niska crime job and finished that Goal on turn 8. With so many turns left I decided I wanted to see what else I could do, so I kept going. On the way back to Red Sun I stopped at Osiris where I got the Tune Up letting me ignore breakdowns (not that they had been an issue for me thus far). At Red Sun I did my other crime for Badger and picked up a new smuggling job from Amnon Duul. Back toward Georgia, I continued following a loose loop around the board for the remainder of the game, on they way I again found another nice crime job for Badger. On turn 14 or 15 I noticed that I already had the $15k for goal number 2 and was close to the 20 misbehaves for Goal 3. Then by turn 18 I did that final Crime job for Badger and hit 21 Misbehaves.

Long story short, Crime Jobs are the way to go, supported with Smuggling Jobs that fit your route and the money just keeps rolling in. Add to that enough keywords and you can pass every misbehave with ease (I didn't even need river for her use as an Ace, which was the main reason I chose her).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As Johns, notes, solo can be very easy, but a lot of it comes down to luck of the draw. The game depicted above is indeed almost perfect for placement of jobs, picking up gear at the right time, etc.

In the core game, Crime is undoubtedly king in that it is quick, pays well, is easy to get, and carries only nominally more risk than other Illegal activities. (Later expansions polish Smuggling and Legal work to where they're decent competition.)

In the solo game, you get a decent-sized Crew, so you can quickly round out with Gear and a final Crew member, letting you get off to a fast start. If you have the right jobs from your starting hand, you can knock them out quickly rather than spending time looking for new opportunities. And if, as in Johns' game, the locations of the jobs take you to various supply planets, so much the better!

If you're looking to complete all three Goals for the solo game, the most challenging is the Misbehaves.

Is very possible to be Solid with 5 Contacts by turn 12-15 even if you didn't get good starting jobs, and by the time you're Solid with them, you'll probably have at least $7500, if not significantly more. If you were able to do Crime Jobs and catch a Smuggling Job for Amnon Duul, you should also be about halfway to 20 Misbehaves.

The key to getting those remaining Misbehaves quickly is Crime, preferably from Niska (who has the jobs with the most Misbehaves). If you can take on and plow through 3 Crime Jobs quickly, that will likely get you to the Misbehave target and net you any remaining money you need.

As a side note: The solo turn can be applied to other story cards. I actually like playing a solo version of the "story-oriented" cards (Niska's Holiday, Harken's Folly, King of All Londinium, -- and from the later expansions -- Jail Break, and Patience's War). I find that 20 is just the right number of turns there, where I succeed most of the time, but often by the skin of my teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For Mark, here are some ideas I think may help you to increase the challenge level of your solo games:

1. Select a more challenging goal, such as completing the misbehaves.

2. Select a more challenging ship or crew.

3. Add some expansions. These can add extra reaver ships, more difficult navigation cards, alert tokens, larger decks to sift through, a lower percentage of available crime jobs across the board, and more.

4. Add some house rules. Off the top of my head, perhaps challenge yourself to complete all 3 goals at once, or start with a handicap such as some warrant tokens, or modify how you choose to move the cruiser and reaver ships, or possibly adapt other story cards to be used for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for house rules that make the game more difficult, I recommend Jude's Solo House Rules for Firefly The Game.
Or/and Beholden to Niska - Firefly Solitaire Story Card by Jude.
Plenty of challenge in there, at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed, although since he's just starting out, I don't know that you want to add to much too quickly! (In response to John's message.)

For my first few games, I usually picked pretty potent Crew members, but now when I play solo, I usually prime the pumps earlier in set-up and pick my Crew only from those ones who are visible from the prime. This has the effect of starting me out with a strange crew (although for some reason, I often wind up with Saffron and Tracey).

With respect to house rules, I sometimes like to give myself a handicap. Two that I've used (primarily when solo-playing the FIRST TIME IN THE CAPTAIN'S CHAIR card for theme):

DEBT TO NISKA: Every time you start a turn, pay Niska $100 or he collects his Pound of Flesh. (Although you can typically stay ahead of it, it's added pressure that keeps you constantly moving)

BUSHEL OF BARRELS: Instead of $3000, start the game with $1000 and 4 Cargo. This gives you much less spending money, and the pressure is on to get Solid with someone to sell that Cargo. Let me tell you, it's a huge sense of accomplishment and relief when you actually do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.