United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I've now played a few times, half games only, level II and level III.

I'm still a bit confused about Fate cards - when do they come out? Once, I got asked to pull a Fate card to determine a location - but that's it? You ignore all the other stuff?

Why is there such a huge fate deck if it's rarely used?

Also, I actually couldn't find anything in the rules about the fate cards...! They're not in the glossary as far as I can see. I know I missed it, but what section of which rulebook talks about them?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fate card are described in more detail on the last pages of the Basic Gameplay Rulebook.

You basically draw a fate card to determine a random location for an event and fully resolve it, theb you do whatever the fate card says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a Solo or Co-op game, many event cards and and all outbreaks require the use of Fate cards. Every time you draw a Fate card you resolve the entire card. Yes, they are initially used to determine location, but you still resolve everything else on the card. Depending on the events you end up with and whether or not you manage your infection track well you may make a ton of Fate draws in a given game or you may not.

The main section of Fate cards/draws is found in the A to Zeds Rulebook p. 6-7 but references are also found in sections related to Outbreak procedures as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also 2 types of Fate Cards. Play (negative, you resolve them no matter WHY you drew them!) and Hold (positive, mostly some kind of 1x awesome special power, or maybe add a hero).
You draw Fate Cards for all kinds of reasons. You always resolve the whole card!
Actually THIS is probably the unique part of the whole game that drew me in , the 2 decks. Event deck partly stacked to provide a game arc. The Fate Deck, where random incidents occur.
I personally found this system always vastly superior to the whole, let's sa,y Eldritch Horrors, or Dead of Winters stuff etc ..
Stories evolve better, and somehow make more connected sense, at least to me. But that's just my opinion, of course. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you also resolve the Plot Twist when the National Guard arrives? The NG event card says the round is over once the NG has been placed, which happes before the Plot Twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.