Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Dodgson
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played this a few times with the family already and ran into a situation last night that I couldn't find in the rules (or I may have missed it).

What happens if you pick up a ticket that you already have completed (ie: trains are already connecting those cities)?

I'm assuming you would just claim it on the next turn you play trains.

It's a minor thing but i'm just curious if anyone else has run into this and what they've done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If it's a route you've already serendipitously completed with your trains you can just claim the ticket (assuming this game is the same as other TTR titles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
dodgeball wrote:
Have played this a few times with the family already and ran into a situation last night that I couldn't find in the rules (or I may have missed it).

What happens if you pick up a ticket that you already have completed (ie: trains are already connecting those cities)?

I'm assuming you would just claim it on the next turn you play trains.

It's a minor thing but i'm just curious if anyone else has run into this and what they've done.

You complete it immediately and draw a replacement. You don't need to wait until next turn to show you have completed it since it doesn't take an "action" to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
And, don't forget to shout, "Ticket!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Houndstooth
msg tools
Does this also apply when you forfeit your turn to discard your 2 tickets to get new ones?

This happened the other day. Someone place a route and completed 2 tickets in 1 shot to get up to 5 completed. They then drew 2 more tickets. On their next turn, they decided to forego their 2 available actions (take train cards or claim a route) to get 2 new ticket cards instead, as the ones they took on the previous turn were pretty distant to what they had already built. One of the newly drawn tickets was already completed, but they waited until their next turn to reveal it. Should they have just revealed it immediately instead, even though they didn't take a standard turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
The way I read the rules is when a route is complete you announce and claim the point. So I would say it was a win as soon as they drew the 2 cards and saw they had a completed route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
rodneyphoundstooth wrote:
Does this also apply when you forfeit your turn to discard your 2 tickets to get new ones?

This happened the other day. Someone place a route and completed 2 tickets in 1 shot to get up to 5 completed. They then drew 2 more tickets. On their next turn, they decided to forego their 2 available actions (take train cards or claim a route) to get 2 new ticket cards instead, as the ones they took on the previous turn were pretty distant to what they had already built.

This does not jibe with the rules as they state you can discard tickets only if you know that you cannot complete them (whether that's due to cities being blocked or not having enough trains).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
W Eric Martin wrote:
rodneyphoundstooth wrote:

This happened the other day. Someone place a route and completed 2 tickets in 1 shot to get up to 5 completed. They then drew 2 more tickets. On their next turn, they decided to forego their 2 available actions (take train cards or claim a route) to get 2 new ticket cards instead, as the ones they took on the previous turn were pretty distant to what they had already built.

This does not jibe with the rules as they state you can discard tickets only if you know that you cannot complete them (whether that's due to cities being blocked or not having enough trains).

Actually, the rules do leave it open for interpretation. They only give one of the examples you have listed and say "for instance" leaving it open to other possibilities. Not being able to complete it because another player is going to win could be a valid reason.

I wouldn't play this way with my kids but if for some reason I'm playing with my friends, I'd allow this cutthroat move!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
You can discard your two tickets whenever you want. You don't have to be in a position where you can't complete one or both of them. The intent is to give a player who has tickets he doesn't like (for whatever reason) the option to spend a turn and draw two different ones.

Alan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alanrmoon wrote:
You can discard your two tickets whenever you want. You don't have to be in a position where you can't complete one or both of them. The intent is to give a player who has tickets he doesn't like (for whatever reason) the option to spend a turn and draw two different ones.

Alan
Most excellent! Too bad that's not what the rule says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
alanrmoon wrote:

Good to know, Alan! Thanks for clarifying this.

Do you also want to weigh in on the other issue, that is, whether you immediately lay down a drawn ticket that you've already completed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Flowers
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules done say you can't. They say "if you know that you will not be able to complete your tickets (because the other players have bloced your path for instance)..." a blocked path is only one possible example. Another example is that the routes are too far away and the other player will win before you can complete them. I do agree that the wording is vague and could be improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Houndstooth
msg tools
Yeah. Much thanks to Alan for replying. The last bit of clarity needed is whether you can claim those 2 tickets immediately or if you have to wait until your next turn, since you've technically skipped your turn to get the new tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
This is from the design notes on the FIRST JOURNEY page of the Days Of Wonder website: "When the idea was proposed, I was not sure if I could make Ticket to Ride simple enough to be a children's game. So the result was extremely satisfying. In the very first playtest, I completed the first ticket in the game. I slammed the ticket down on the table and loudly announced "TICKET," trying to be funny and annoying at the same time. Instantly, that became the rule in the game. It's especially fun when you complete one ticket, draw a new ticket you can complete, and then get to put that second ticket down and yell out again."

So yes, you can claim a newly drawn ticket immediately. You can do it several times if you are lucky, and even win the game this way.

Alan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
wilsonpenn wrote:
The rules done say you can't. They say "if you know that you will not be able to complete your tickets (because the other players have bloced your path for instance)..." a blocked path is only one possible example. Another example is that the routes are too far away and the other player will win before you can complete them.

I agree. But the rule would be better if it said something like, "You can discard your two tickets and draw two new ones, but this is the only thing you can do that turn (you cannot draw cards or claim a route)."

But let's remember this is a children's game. The point is not to lawyer the rules to death. It's to introduce children to the wonderful world of games. So if the kids are playing things a little differently or missing some of the subtleties, that's okay, as long as they are having fun.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it's meant to be a children's game, but I think it's also a great family game, especially for those not familiar with designer games. It's an even easier gateway into the hobby.

The game's short play time also makes it a nice game for tournaments so many plays can be had.

For those audiences, your rulings here will be very helpful, so thank you for chiming in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
It absolutely is a great family game... We have had a blast with it (me, wife, 11 year old daughter). In fact, my daughter actually prefers this one now over any of the regular games I really want to write a "Sessions" report about our First Journey Tourney we had while watching the Olympics... Anyways, Alan, thanks for this fantastic family game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
wilsonpenn wrote:

I agree. But the rule would be better if it said something like, "You can discard your two tickets and draw two new ones, but this is the only thing you can do that turn (you cannot draw cards or claim a route)."

Best yet if it said:

One your turn you can do ONE of three things:
-Draw train cards
-Claim a route
-Discard your 2 tickets and draw 2 new ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.