Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Replacement for the monster models? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
perry johnson
England
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Have to say it but the monster figures are ruining this game for me. I've played it twice and they're tacky, poorly created and bases are flat out horrible.

Whats a good alternative while keeping the feel of the game? I have lobotomy coming next year and I'm hoping I can proxy those figures when it comes but for now? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use the tokens as they look much nicer with their artwork. I put them in the plastic stands from my Arkham Horror games.
You may not think this as thematic as the minis though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
I just use the tokens as they look much nicer with their artwork. I put them in the plastic stands from my Arkham Horror games.
You may not think this as thematic as the minis though.

I do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you use the tokens without minis you can make use of the 1E monster tokens that come in the conversion kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
perry johnson
England
Newcastle
flag msg tools
I unfortunately lack those stands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard of people buying stands for the tokens on Etsy like these.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/386787566/monster-stands-for-el...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it quite interesting that people are complaining so much about the miniatures, saying they "ruining their game" while a few years ago everyone was hyping Mansions of Madness first edition for its great miniatures and how much theme they add.
They are basically the same quality. The bases were also a thing back then and I heard hardly anyone complain.

Edit: Not saying that I question those peoples opinion, I just find it interesting and worth analysing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Anduin wrote:
I find it quite interesting that people are complaining so much about the miniatures, saying they "ruining their game" while a few years ago everyone was hyping Mansions of Madness first edition for its great miniatures and how much theme they add.
They are basically the same quality. The bases were also a thing back then and I heard hardly anyone complain.

Edit: Not saying that I question those peoples opinion, I just find it interesting and worth analysing.

I never played 1ed. For what it's worth, the miniatures are decent, but those gigantic black bases are horrible and make the game almost unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
Anduin wrote:

I never played 1ed. For what it's worth, the miniatures are decent, but those gigantic black bases are horrible and make the game almost unplayable.

Yes, those big black square bases are really an eyesore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love the mini's, so if any of you that don't want yours I would love them. I will even pay shipping and a little something for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I use super glue on the minis to keep them on their stands. However, I only glue the portions that don't go inside the holes; I still keep the pegs inside the holes. This is to prevent the glue from dripping within the stand and coming in contact with the monster tokens. That way, I can still remove them if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky in that I have a very large collection of metal-cast mythos monsters painted up and mounted on small magnetic bases. I just love replacing the floppy plastic masters with those from the collection. The monster tokens I place beside the monster minis and it all seems to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love painting, so I've been having a blast painting my MoM minis so far. The mini's themselves are of decent quality and after they've been painted they really pop on the game board.

I have been thinking about rebasing them though (carving off the pegs and setting them up on more size appropriate bases), and then keeping the tokens separate as a reference. But I also like the convenience of having the tokens on the monsters themselves. So I'm having trouble making up my mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lindström
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars have some nice miniatures that could be used. But it would be quite expensive to buy the game just for using the miniatures in MoM:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

I own 1e + CoTW and FA but never played them and for what it's worth, I did not like the minis in 1e either, I just was not on BGG or posting much to voice an opinion. I have played EH and ES though and I prefer the tokens + stands for the monsters in those games so it seems consistent/normal for me to use plastic or the wooden ones from that etsy store for MoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Carr
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:

I have been thinking about rebasing them though (carving off the pegs and setting them up on more size appropriate bases), and then keeping the tokens separate as a reference.

That's exactly what I did for all the miniatures. I put them on clear acrylic bases that I purchased from Litko.com; now I can clearly see the rich artwork of the game tiles without the big ugly black blocky bases eating up all the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The monster miniatures and their bases are so bad for the game that I use one of my actions to try and kill them.....

Wait, WHAT!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

A few things changed.

CMON has greatly increased the quality of boardgame miniatures -- and the quantity you got for your dollar. FFG also improved the quality of their miniatures between their Terrinoth games, such as between Runebound 2nd and 3rd editions. Myself, while I liked painting the miniatures, I didn't use the monster ones in 1e and the game played just fine.

fyi, MoM 2e's people tokens aren't, of course, miniatures, and RAFM miniatures has both 1920's people and Call of Cthulhu monsters and other things in metal. Reaper Miniatures will release Bones plastic miniatures of the same when they finish their Bones III KS. Here's a RAFM deep one and some sort of nasty skull thing I painted up. Less difficult to paint the creatures than the investigators, I should say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.