1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Nikki has left MCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not around so much any more, got tired of the circular arguments and moved on to other things.

But I just heard that Nikki has left MCG. Nobody knows much but apparently she was 'let go' but the split was 'amicable'.

I'm not gonna speculate or dredge up old issues, but if it's true, this is a huge loss for MCG, and even more for us.

Nikki seemed to be the only one who gave a damn. She was patient and helpful to me even when I was frustrated. She was proactive in trying to find solutions for me, and she showed excellent customer service, which seems sorely lacking in MCG.

Sure, MCG may or may not be great games designers but even their greatest fans would agree that dealing with people is not their strong suit. Nikki offered that in spades.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong but this really does feel like a Very Bad Thing for us. Perhaps the fulfilment of Journeyman will happen without a hitch. But perhaps it won't, and it will be like all the other MCG fiascos. Either way, I'd have felt happier having Nikki there to help if and when things hit the fan.

If MCG or anyone who knows them is reading, then for God's sake, hire someone with her helpful attitude and do it soon. The debacle of Recon hurt MCG, even they admit it, and I'd sooner not see a repeat of that.

Anyway, best wishes to Nikki and thanks for all your help and patience. I hope you find an employer worthy of your positive attitude and helpful work ethic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope you are just screwed up in your calendar dates and mistook today for April first. Otherwise, bad news indeed. Nikki is/was awesome and will be sorely missed. Her customer service was the only consistent thing that worked at MCG. I like the guys, don't get me wrong. She was just really good at making sunshine out of horrible messes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the Unlike button?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a source for the information?

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
Jorune wrote:
Do you have a source for the information?
Jorune

Endevour, on the Kickstarter for Journeymen.

He does their European translations so he's very close to what's going on at MCG and has confirmed this.

Nobody really knows why.

MCG haven't said anything themselves yet, but maybe that shouldn't surprise me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we're really screwed! Without her I was still waiting for my Kickstarter-stuff Myth 1st Edition!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
I'm not gonna speculate or dredge up old issues, but if it's true, this is a huge loss for MCG, and even more for us.

Marcus - hey, welcome back!

I know Nikki and will confirm she was fired the day after GenCon. Not sure I'd choose the word "amicable" to describe being fired, but okay we must be viewing this in the best light possible.

Details I'll leave for Nikki to tell as they are her story to share if she wants.

As to what this means for us as a community .... shake

We lost our true advocate within that organization when they let her go. I wish her the best of luck landing someplace that respects her as much as she respected us as customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:

Marcus - hey, welcome back!
I know Nikki and will confirm she was fired the day after GenCon. Not sure I'd choose the word "amicable" to describe being fired, but okay we must be viewing this in the best light possible.
Details I'll leave for Nikki to tell as they are her story to share if she wants.
As to what this means for us as a community .... shake
We lost our true advocate within that organization when they let her go. I wish her the best of luck landing someplace that respects her as much as she respected us as customers.

Thanks MMIndy. That I even bother to come back is down to you and a few other nice guys here that have worked harder on this game than maybe it deserves.

I don't know the details of her leaving, I'm only going from what I've heard. If it's NOT amicable, then that sucks, as she was their greatest asset. MCG's priorities always seem to be dreadful. Someone on the KS page said that the way they do business is 'like the 'f'ing Suicide Squad' and it's hard to disagree.

Nikki always sounded like she cared, she always tried to compromise and did her best for me. The only saving grace here is that someone with her qualities will surely find new employment quickly.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but this feels like a turn for the worse. I actually hoped that Journeyman would have a good delivery and might wash away the bad taste of Recon. I still want Myth to succeed, though I'm not blind to its faults, and it gives me no pleasure to see MCG make bad decision after bad decision.

I've no idea how they are doing financially, or if this layoff is a sign of things to come. Their Kickstarters over-funded hugely so there shouldn't be a problem, realistically. But this is MCG we're talking about, and they sometimes seem to be running their own company into the ground. Getting rid of their best asset seems to be a serious false economy, considering the unhappy backers on Recon.

If you have any sway with Brian and the others, please recommend they get a people-person in to handle customer issues. Let's not pretend there won't be ANY issues with Journeyman. With Nikki, I at least had faith that she'd try her best to get things done. Whereas at times, the other people there seem to treat their backers as enemies rather than customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The word amicable was used by Nikki herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what actually happened. I do know that it is possible to be fired "amicably" because there are a lot of factors that go into that decision.

I wish Nikki well in her future endeavors. I spoke with her once and corresponded a few times. No company can afford to lose that sort of employee unless there are "other, bigger problems".

Best wishes to MCG as well. Lots of problems, but that happens with gamers who start game companies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope they have a good person to take her place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I wish Nikki well in her future endeavors. I spoke with her once and corresponded a few times. No company can afford to lose that sort of employee unless there are "other, bigger problems".

I wrote and deleted half a dozen replies to this thread, but you've said here what I was trying to clumsily figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that is disappointing news. Nikki was definitely a customer relations asset for a company who has had a really bad track record.

Anybody who knows her - please pass on my regards and best wishes for her future.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
martimer wrote:

I wrote and deleted half a dozen replies to this thread, but you've said here what I was trying to clumsily figure out.
That is really unusual. I am not eloquent. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:
martimer wrote:

You are a fairly good writer, Marty. I say that having been reading you for over 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sad indeed.
But before we all start to see the end of the world, I suggest that we all hope that MCG is capable of learning.
They had much more updates during this KS that during KS 1. So there's visible improvment that I doubt had anything to do with Nikki.
I also guess they must have noticed that a middlewoman like Nikki was great to have and let's hope that someone will try to fill her shoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
martimer wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:
martimer wrote:

You are a fairly good writer, Marty. I say that having been reading you for over 10 years.
Heh, I think you have me confused. I know I am confused. If I could get 1/4 of the ideas out of my head I would be a completely different person.

Lewis, do you play this crazy game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is something has happened at either a company-wide level or an inter-personal level that led to this. However, if I were to be fired from my job, my company would not be going around actively telling our customers that I was let go. As such, I'm doing my best not to pry despite being curious as to the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might explain why the response to my last email was "Will do".

Nikki for president 2016!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if Nikki needs a glowing reference for her resume / next role, I'd like to think there are dozens of BGG posts out there she can reference (this being one). Great customer service agents likes this, who can step into a negative environment like the one built by MCG and turn it into a really positive experience are worth there weight in gold.

I certainly hope this is as amicable as reported, and MCG can maintain a decent community relationship. Things certainly feel a lot more friendly / less animosity since Nikki stepped in, would be a shame to let they go to waste.

All the best Nikki !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikki has been nothing but great. I've had multiple issues needing to be sorted out with each of my orders, and she's always handled everything competently, politely, and professionally. She even spoke directly (on the phone) to a backer who wanted to piggyback on my KS2 order to assure him that I've had lots of dealings with MCG and seem trustworthy and passionate about the game.

My current KS2 order has had all of the KS1 content upgrades dropped from it by their software, and I am *not* feeling confident that it will all get added back in and fixed properly now that Nikki is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess we'll always have her Mini, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
Someone on the KS page said that the way they do business is 'like the 'f'ing Suicide Squad' and it's hard to disagree.

Being compared to that awful movie... ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSgt Keats
msg tools
Phantom Load wrote:
Well, I guess we'll always have her Mini, right?

Don't give them ideas. Look, I'm not saying that they are very childish and petty but I'm making a point to say that I'm not saying it and there isnt a much stronger way I can imply it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
nbread wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:
Someone on the KS page said that the way they do business is 'like the 'f'ing Suicide Squad' and it's hard to disagree.

Being compared to that awful movie... ouch.

Not a bad analogy, when you think about it. ‘Suicide Squad’ has an amazing concept, great visuals, and a terrible execution.

Also, a punky-looking girl is the only good thing about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.