Subject: What Kingdom Death taught me about my gaming preferences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As like so many others Kingdom Death: Monster has been more than a gaming experience. It has been transformative for me in my gaming paradigm. It has showed me new mechanics and ideas that I hadn't thought of or thought possible. It has given me the closest thing to an RPG while remaining a board game. In fact I often times straight say I would rather play this than a tabletop RPG.

The biggest things Kingdom Death has done for me is its affirmation of some of my gaming preferences and reassured me that this is what I like. What do I mean specifically? I mean things like being a gaming masochist. I always relished submitting myself wholly to the fickle dice gods but KD:M confirms that I thoroughly enjoy a random roll on chart. My survivor can either become buff and gain great stats, or they can die and have their bones in their bodies' snap.

Another thing KD:M has done for me is confirm I in fact like cooperative story telling games more than competitive ones. A little background on my board gaming history; I started out with Risk and Power Grid. Loved them both. Have them both. Power Grid was my first purchase when building up my nerd game library. I didn't own many cooperative games aside from Death Angel. However, as I have played this game I enjoyed much more collaborating with my friends against the board (monster in this case) and coping with the environment rather than one another. Also, the story that is shown rather than told in KD:M has definitely helped sway me.

Those are how Kingdom Death has impacted me and my gaming life. How about you all? This is one of those games that not only do you great enjoyment out of but you also learn a little something about yourself. That at least has been my take aways as I continue to enjoy this stellar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Well, KD:M reinvigorated my passion for tabletop gaming and miniatures, much like Dark Souls did it for video games in 2011. I also like punishing experiences that challenge me in innovative ways, as well as cooperative experiences and game-based storytelling that's not handed on a plate.

Also, even more personally, the story of the game's creation has inspired me to challenge myself as a creator (as I'm a game designer and novelist myself) and in many ways freed me from the constraints of market-based creativity. Thanks, Poots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet 99.9% of KD:M owners could bring a similar extraordinary experience. KD:M brought me back to boardgaming after 15-20 years. It blends a lot of things I love in a single game (too long to extend now XD), all in all providing such a beautiful, rewarding and harsh survival (or the opposite, hehe) experience unlike anything I have ever played before. Despite the fact that many of us who missed the KS have had to drop big $$$ to get it, I bet most of you fellow players feel -just like myself- extremely grateful to Mr. Poots for such a LABOR OF LOVE, as he expressly states in the KD:M page. Thanks, and hopefully the best is yet to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
internet ate my first post :/

The short version- being the most involving co-op I've ever played (other than RPGs) allows me to do a lot of stuff, like house ruling and getting really involved in mechanics, in a social way that an equivalent but competitive game never has, so, nothing particularly new, but a new context changed my perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally forgot something that you guys have reminded me of! Kingdom Death has rekindled my love of miniatures and miniatures assembly. It even has gotten me back thinking about minis wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Epidemius wrote:
I totally forgot something that you guys have reminded me of! Kingdom Death has rekindled my love of miniatures and miniatures assembly. It even has gotten me back thinking about minis wargames.

I'm painting SoB miniatures to get good enough to tackle KD:M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is Kingdom Death for me.

It redefine the philosophical notion of fun. Fun isn't about just winning or simple enjoyment. But facing obstacles and overcoming. Very Nietzschean board game. A game where you bond and it becomes a scripted experience.

The idea that you want to win, all the while enjoying when you fail, and want to play again is something that isn't done all that well. It's games like that which stand the test of time. The game isn't just a game, but an experience, a story, of a settlement struggling to survive in a cruel dark horrific world where you're the bottom of the food chain. You, the guiding light, is trying get these poor souls to survive. The horror, the bleakness, makes you care about those survivors have a fighting chance and live.

I would dare say you this caring actually becomes a bond you feel and it becomes an experience. A game to elicit real emotion is another level. Very few games become "experiences." You want these people to make it out alive. You want your settlement to survive. Maybe I'm crazy about this.

So I'm not just playing games for "ha ha fun" but to feel. To feel sadness. Happiness. Horror. And joy. A real RPG (or even better than traditional RPG). You learn more about yourself playing this game, not to get too spiritual (although I am). You learn that is a game isn't about some game session to get petty enjoyment. But a journey. You're on this journey with these survivors/settlement. Curiosity about this dark and mysterious world you entered into with them drives you as well.

I love the idea that monsters aren't just these things that you hack (like some mundane goblin). They are big, brutal, and horrific. You're probably screwed. Or at least, someone is losing an arm. Too many games monsters just seem like a chore. The monsters here are actually monsters and how they're supposed to be. I feel this game returns monsters back to its original definition.

Just some thoughts and my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zenman12 wrote:
Too many games monsters just seem like a chore. The monsters here are actually monsters and how they're supposed to be. I feel this game returns monsters back to its original definition.

This is what keeps me coming back for more KDM. When you beat a monster, you've really accomplished something and you feel pride in doing so. "I just beat a Level 3 Phoenix!" Versus games where you chuck a die, kill a monster, move down the hallway, chuck a die, kill another, move, ad nauseum. It's really an experience because of the struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mockerre wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

I'm painting SoB miniatures to get good enough to tackle KD:M

Lol. I'm the same way. I'm in this catch 22 where I want to do my models but I want my skills x1000. I thought I was alone. Looks like I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what cheap, decently good, and/or used minis are for. And something to strip them with. It's definitely worth practicing on junk minis/other things you don't care about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
As someone still on the sidelines awaiting a reprint: KDM's theme is something I normally shy away from, nor have I enjoyed cooperative games in the past. The game looks like it's a lot of fun and tells a good story. I know I enjoy tactical games and fighting weird-looking monsters seems to have grabbed my attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenyan wrote:
As someone still on the sidelines awaiting a reprint: KDM's theme is something I normally shy away from, nor have I enjoyed cooperative games in the past. The game looks like it's a lot of fun and tells a good story. I know I enjoy tactical games and fighting weird-looking monsters seems to have grabbed my attention.

...and that is about 1% of the whole KD:M experience. Get it, don't let anyone spoil it and enjoy the journey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I love tabletop gaming. I've tried to curate a small but respectable collection that fills all niches, ranging from quick 15 minutes easy breezy games to highly complex games. KD:M fills the higher end of the spectrum. When you combine that with the fact that it can be played solo, well, I don't need to tell you how cool that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
That's what cheap, decently good, and/or used minis are for. And something to strip them with. It's definitely worth practicing on junk minis/other things you don't care about.

You mean to say "Reaper Bones" minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.