$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What are some fun board games with a heavy math theme, but are also for adults? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not asking about games that uses math as most games will do that by having players add or subtract victory points. I think what I need is a game with a heavy math theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it isn't exactly a math theme, but still worth a look.

Ricochet Robots

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, when I see people asking about "mathy" games, they are just referring to games with lots of arithmetic. If that's the case here, you might check out Power Grid. It also features a bit of graph theory I suppose (the cities and connections are a graph).

For a lighter game that still features a fair bit of arithmetic, check out Sumoku. I have not personally played it, but many of my math students have mentioned that they enjoy it. Another great option in this approximate game weight is Beyond Baker Street.

If you are looking for something very heavy, check out Arkwright. Be warned that it is quite difficult to learn from the rule book, but luckily there are a couple of videos to help with that now.

Finally, if you are looking for a game that features more of the logic/proof side of mathematics, you might like to try Battle Line. Another one to consider like this is Code 777.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 1830: Railways & Robber Barons or 1846: The Race for the Midwest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Math / science theme, for sure: High Frontier.

Otherwise, I found Tikal to be *fun* with mathy decisions for resources.
~ Spatial analysis: try Pueblo, also by Kramer & Kiesling.

You want economic games? There are too many to list. ~ Cheers!

_
_
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asked slightly differently just days ago: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1622874/games-math-teacher-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games can be described by math at some level, but I'm having a difficult time imagining what a math theme might look like. Professors racing to develop a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem, perhaps? Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
WFF 'N PROOF - more math than all the maths

edit... oh, you said fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darla Truitt
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stockpile Is Maths based on probabilities and speculation.
Great game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akumulate, Just4Fun, Ka-Ching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't exactly have a math THEME, but 7 Wonders is all about adding up points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Not themed, but you use a lot of maths to decide how many resources you get.

If you want "numbered games"
6 nimmt!
No Thanks!
they are good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
It doesn't exactly have a math THEME, but 7 Wonders is all about adding up points.

Well, that could be said about any game really? since 95% of games have victory points which would need to be counted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid my favorite game of all time

The Scepter of Zavandor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cribbage and its variants strengthen mental addition skills, though I wouldn't say it's a math theme. I would also argue that Bowling Solitaire and even Star Realms can build up addition skills, though to a smaller degree, and also without a math theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:
Power Grid my favorite game of all time

The Scepter of Zavandor

Scepter's predecessor Outpost was going to be my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:
Yuck! That game's clearly in my no-fun category.

+1 for any Knizia games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feraswheel wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Well, that could be said about any game really? since 95% of games have victory points which would need to be counted.

At a high level, yes. But 7 Wonders introduces exponents and multiplications into the mix as well (not simply addition and subtraction) which I've not seen before in a game.

So while I'd certainly agree that every game with "points" includes some math, 7 Wonders includes more math - and slightly higher level math - than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
That was one short question from the OP, but still only one reply actually answered the question asked:

Butsudoka wrote:

Why do so many people think they can answer just by looking at a title and not reading the two short sentences posted by the original asker?

Math THEME people! Math theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
That was one short question from the OP, but still only one reply actually answered the question asked:

Butsudoka wrote:

Why do so many people think they can answer just by looking at a title and not reading the two short sentences posted by the original asker?

Which of the previous posters can fairly be said to have not read the "two short sentences posted by the original asker?" Which one exactly? Almost all have acknowledged that their suggestions don't have a "math theme" per se. Have you, in fact, read the short sentences contained in each of their posts? If you had, you might have noticed that little qualifier.

Perhaps, just perhaps, folks here are just trying to be as helpful as possible in light of the slim pickings.

Is that so horrible? Why all the negativity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:

Butsudoka wrote:

I take personal umbrage. Which responder with large red letters thinks these do not focus on correctly accomplishing a math operation at their very core just by looking at the pictures ?

TVis wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Professor X wrote:
slashing wrote:

Butsudoka wrote:

Which of the previous posters can fairly be said to have not read the "two short sentences posted by the original asker?" Which one exactly? Almost all have acknowledged that their suggestions don't have a "math theme" per se. Have you, in fact, read the short sentences contained in each of their posts? If you had, you might have noticed that little qualifier.

Perhaps, just perhaps, folks here are just trying to be as helpful as possible in light of the slim pickings.

Is that so horrible? Why all the negativity?

Apologies if I over-reacted and came across all negative. I just see so many threads where what's being asked is ignored by responders. The OP specifically stated "I'm not asking about games that uses math" - so it just seemed to me that all but one respondent hadn't read that sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
TVis wrote:
slashing wrote:

Butsudoka wrote:

I take personal umbrage. Which responder with large red letters thinks these do not focus on correctly accomplishing a math operation at their very core just by looking at the pictures ?

TVis wrote:

You're right. I mis-understood your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.