Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this weekend I'll be introducing the game to a couple of new players. They'll be playing some pretty simple (but reasonably powerful) decks that I've built for them. I own all expansions, so my inevitable question is.. Which quest to play to introduce new players?

I have a few ideas in mind, but I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. My criteria:

1. Nothing too easy or too insanely hard. While the decks they'll be playing are decent enough, I don't want a 2 turn loss (or 2 turn win, for that matter!)

2. *PROBABLY* something that draws from the well-known lore of the books / movies. This is flexible, but I think it'd be tougher to get them excited to play something like Flight of the Stormcaller, since the theme of that quest is pretty far removed from LOTR's main storyline. Thus, probably a saga quest or something like Watcher in the Water that is obviously pretty inspired by the main storyline.

3. This is the tricky one -- I'd like to play a quest that's *pretty* close to how the 'basic' game is played. Imagine the sage Helm's Deep scenario. Great quest, very fun and thematic. But it turns a very important couple of rules from the basic game on their heads, and thus really wouldn't make a good teaching scenario. I'd like to play something that sticks pretty close to the original rules of the game.

Any ideas on this one? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Journey down the Anduin is hard to beat as an intro but may be too easy (even for new players) with the modern cardpool. Amon Din is fun but not representative of the game.foundations of Stone could be great (with that stage 4 split up it would force players to pull their own weight, or just survive on their own, for a while).

I think regardless of what you choose, by the time you get to about the end of Khazad-dûm or Heirs of Numenor the quests become generally better scaled for all player counts (although there are outliers that are just ridiculous for 1p or 4p about 1 out of 5 or 6 quests).

Also, whatever you do, do not Alpha Game the group. Make sure they get to make their own decisions. It might be worth playing a quick round solo or two handed just to go over the rules but that might be Overkill, depending on the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions all around -- Foundations of Stone is a good recommendation! Probably on the easier end, but that split at the end makes things interesting. Plus, no wacky mechanics that diverge too far from the base game.

Anyone else have more ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I would recommend The Massing at Osgiliath, if you have that one. That's one of the few that I like to test new decks on. Of course Journey Along the Anduin (already mentioned) is probably the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Massing is a good idea! That's probably a good difficulty level with today's card pool. And for purely teaching the game, Passage Through Mirkwood is definitely good, but ooof... The ease would probably be a bit off-putting, since the folks I'll be teaching are gamers. Just not familiar with LOTR:LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grex22 wrote:
Massing is a good idea! That's probably a good difficulty level with today's card pool. And for purely teaching the game, Passage Through Mirkwood is definitely good, but ooof... The ease would probably be a bit off-putting, since the folks I'll be teaching are gamers. Just not familiar with LOTR:LCG.

I have found "Gamers" like that easy first quest to get down the mechanics. Just warn them this is one of the easier quests and you are playing it just so they get the mechanics down (Maybe only play the first stage of that quest if they feel comfortable at that point stop and go on).
Then have journey down the A...($%^# I hate that river) adventure. As a one two punch it has worked well for me when teaching. A relatively quick and easy game that lets you get familiar with the system, then the next makes you actually use that system and your cards to "win". Not sure of your personalities in the group and it is just my 2 cents worth, but I found this system to work for most every game system I've taught to people over the last 40 years or so. (yeah I'm that old)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.