$30.00
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey. So, up front, I've already ordered this game, so either way I'll be playing it. But I wondered, given the presumed freedom the idea of alternate histories adds to the game, are some of the earlier issues addressed?

For example, do Japan and Italy feel a little less like the dud decks? (I know, I know, but the impression is pretty universal with new players). Is there less constraint, in terms of playing what the deck gives you? Etc

I ask, because Victory or Death felt like a riff in the right direction for this franchise, seeming to open up a little more room for creative play, and I'm kind of hoping AH does something similar for QGWW2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the new cards do slightly increase the strength of the Axis decks but the Allies get a significant boost at the start of the game with French and Chinese armies.

My initial concern was that the Axis would struggle to win but the first game played was an Axis win so that is good.

Italy will still has a more limited deck than the other powers but there are more options.

Japan is quite a different power to all the others and beginners often struggle. The extra cards give more options like Italy but don't change the character of the deck.

I would not suggest that new players play with Alternate Histories although it may well work nicely without Air Marshal but I have not played like that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Well, having mixed up the decks, I can't see myself unmixing them again! I suspect that anyone I cajole into playing this game gets the whole package...

At first glance, Air Marshall seems to have been a bigger leap mechanically than AH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Actually, the cards have set icons that allow you to unmix them. I'm going to be alternating with a new group that doesn't use the expansions to my old gang who will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
goo Actually, the cards have set icons that allow you to unmix them. I'm going to be alternating with a new group that doesn't use the expansions to my old gang who will!

I can't see anything on the new standard cards like Land Battle etc. that let them get pulled from the deck easily. Most cards have the little QAH in the text box but not the standard ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
chas59 wrote:

I can't see anything on the new standard cards like Land Battle etc. that let them get pulled from the deck easily. Most cards have the little QAH in the text box but not the standard ones

Dang you're right....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we need to know then, is how many are included in each expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This information can be deduced by deducting the numbers from the back of the Alternate Histories rulebook from the numbers on the back of the Air Marshal rulebook. That's probably easier to have on hand than a BGG post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a file with the card counts for Alternate Histories.

EDIT. Corrected some of the counts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what the warlord ordered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Turner
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very useful, we played AH tonight and splitting the decks back down was a bit of a pain due to the missing indications on the 4 key cards.

I think the solution is going to be a small dot in the bottom corner of the protective card sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.