Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah right shake

Bought this game for solo play based on the back of box information:

"Legendary Big Trouble in Little China is a cooperative game based on the 1986 cult classic film."

Further on the box back bottom also shows a little square icon stating the game is for 1-5 players.

Also page 1 of rulebook under Game Summary:

"In this game for 1-5 players..."

And then the shocking scheme twist! Page 17 of rulebook:

No Solo Rules on this Set

"blah blah...designed to focus on player interaction"

I think there has to be truth in advertising and write on the box 2-5 players as this requires player interaction, no solo rules. Although I prefer they amend the damage done by posting official variant for 1 player and/or coop mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone. I prefer to play the legendary games solo. I was disappointed that this did not have solo rules. Admittedly I can adapt them myself, but I was slightly bummed that the cards try to focus on player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you mean focus on player interaction,
i don't mind not playing solo but i would prefer to play co-op. is it at least that? laugh
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon Harmon wrote:
You are not alone. I prefer to play the legendary games solo. I was disappointed that this did not have solo rules. Admittedly I can adapt them myself, but I was slightly bummed that the cards try to focus on player interaction.

I would have stopped playing Legendary, were it not for Dark City and challenge modes making it possible to play purely cooperatively.
This version of Legendary seems to shift the design back to the semi-coop of the original Legendary (which I thought had terrible run away leader and bit of run away loser problems).

You can see the problems with the hero cards, since mike46060 has a link to some images here: Card Images

There are 9 heroes from which to make the 5-hero Hero Deck:

Pork Chop Express:
_no mandatory interaction

Henry Swanson:
The rare

Jack Burton:
The rare (beneficial for coop)
Uncommon (beneficial for coop)
Common Sleeveless Jack (Take That, but no effect if Gracie Law not one of the heroes)
Common Son of a Bitch Must Pay (triggered effect, which, IIRC, you never have to trigger if you do not want to, so beneficial for coop - despite the wording "must")

Egg Shen:
(note: one of his commons makes you flip a coin to decide it's effect - this may be a positive or negative for your game play experience)

Margo:
The rare is not interactive, but is generally not useful and most often a detriment in solo or cooperative play
Common Research Creepy Stuff (beneficial for coop)
(note: I can't read the other common, so I don't know how interactive it is)

Eddie:

Gracie Law:
Common Nosy but Nice (generally beneficial for coop)

Miao Yin:
Common Under a Spell (Take That)
Common So this is America (generally beneficial for coop - but can occasionally be a nuisance as well)
The rare (very Take That)

Wang Chi:
Common You Gotta Help Me! (overall probably detrimental to coop play - but very situational, so could end up being a net positive)

Additional notes:
Both Jack and Wang have 3 sets of common cards - from which you are supposed to use 2 sets in a game. The rule book also mentions variant rules where you shuffle up all 15 common cards and randomly select 10 for a game.
One of Wang's other Common cards, Time to Go!, is less effective if Miao Yin is not in the game.

I have played one 2-player game, where the heroes were Egg, Gracie, Wang, Miao, and Jack (including Sleeveless Jack - which was bad with Gracie present, but not as bad with only 2 players and all the Miao Yin cards getting left in the HQ).
Apparently this is possibly the worst possible set-up for coop play and left a bad taste in our mouths.
Fortunately I got to play someone else's copy, but especially with having to avoid 1 of the just 9 heroes provided to play it cooperatively, I can't see this being worth the money (because I think Legendary is a mediocre if not terrible game if played competitively, and this set doesn't really seem worth it for pure coop play - even less so for solo play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brenycz
msg tools
mb
I've tried this solo a few times using that popular solo legendary variant - using one hand drawing two from the villain deck each turn, using bystanders when you have them to prevent the 2nd villain deck draw, and sliding/recycling the left most hero in the HQ every turn. So far it seems balanced, I was just barely able to win/draw against Lo Pan and Six Shooter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.