3 Posts

Giga-Robo!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Giga-Hijack! (max 3 players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This is a very strange idea. I seem to have mashed concepts from a few things together in order to come up with it. Basically, this is a battle where there are twice as many robots as pilots in the area, and fighters hijack new machines as the battle progresses.

To begin with, each player chooses a pilot/robot combination as normal. Once this is done, each player chooses a second robot, and may build their deck using either of the robots they ended up with.

A maximum of 4 pilot cards may be included in any player's deck - they may use less than this number, but not more. The second robot each player builds will have 3 abilities and 1 ultimate technique as normal, but will have 4 cards less than a full deck, and must consist only of robot cards. These robots may not include cards or abilities they cannot legally play - for example, Ayzn may not take Iron Fusion Stage 3 without also having the Stage 1 and 2 abilities. Similarly, O-Gun may not have any cards or abilities which require Star Spanner to be active unless Star Spanner is one of its equipped abilities.

When a player's robot is destroyed, remove ALL robot cards and abilities, AND the pilot ability, from the game. Any tokens in cooldown are also removed, as are all the robot's power tokens, but the pilot's fighting spirit remains unchanged. On that player's next turn, if other robots are available, they may choose any available robot board and connect it to their pilot board. This new robot's deck is combined with the pilot cards, and laid out as if for a first turn. They may deploy the robot in any normal starting hex then play their turn as usual.

Victory Conditions:

For 2 players, play until all robots but one are destroyed. It should be obvious who lost less robots and defeated more. With 3 players, play until one player is eliminated without a robot to hijack. If at this point, one player has lost less robots than anyone else, they are the winner. If not, the player with the most kills is the winner. If there is still not a clear winner, fight to last robot standing.

Optional rules:

Pilot card amount: Instead of 4, the number of pilot cards may be adjusted if all players agree. However many cards are chosen, the appropriate number of cards must be omitted from the extra robots' decks.

Rush Startup: During the turn where a player hijacks a new robot, they may choose "rush startup" in place of the usual heart/power. This allows them to advance their cooldowns by 1.

Destruction Rage: When a player's robot is destroyed, they may gain 2x Rage, but skip heart/power gain on their following turn (this also means you can't take destruction rage and rush startup, even when both rules are allowed).

Triple-bot madness: With only 2 players, each player may take 1 robot to start with, and TWO backup robots, for added mayhem (and a longer game).

Warzone: When a player enters a new robot, roll 1 defense die per eliminated robot. Reduce the robot's armour by that amount (if 10/0 is rolled, treat as 0).

Escalating chaos: When a player removes their pilot ability from the game, turn it face-down. If it's already been turned face-down, remove it from the pilot board. When setting up a new robot, if the pilot card has been removed, place that robot's ultimate technique face-down in its place. If there is already an ultimate technique card in this space, the player must also remove a pilot card or robot ability of their choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, and had been toying with something similar. I might make some additional changes - I'm trying to capture the frantic feel of the "Metal Warriors" SNES game where you desperately tried to hunt down your opponent's little pilot guy before he could jump into another mech and continue the fight.

-Inactive robots actually start on the map. While on the map and unpiloted, they count as valid targets for attacks, and cannot defend or counterattack. Opponents within range can counterattack on their behalf similar to countering an opponent's attempt to destroy a building.

-Each player builds the "hands" and abilities for an equal number of the unpiloted robots and then places them face down - they know what the robot is configured to do, but their opponent doesn't. However, in this variant, a vacant robot can be piloted by any player without a robot, so you need to build the robot considering both the possibility that you may get to use it, as well as the possibility that your opponent may end up piloting it against you.

-When a pilot's robot is destroyed, that pilot appears on the map in the destroyed robot's hex as a "little dude" and has to run like hell for the nearest unpiloted robot. "Little dudes" are extremely hard to hit - a natural 12 is required to hit them, and they cannot be targeted while in cover or standing in rubble. However, a single point of damage is enough to kill them.

-Little dudes can move up to three hexes a turn (this may need tweaking), and cannot change elevations. (If their robot was destroyed in a crater or atop a building, they use the "ejector seat" to parachute down onto any adjacent ground-level hex). They may move through a hex containing an enemy robot. They may not enter hexes containing static barriers or elemental hazard tiles. (If they start in a hex with an elemental hazard tile, it is assumed they can "crawl out of the wreckage").

-On reaching an unpiloted robot's hex, the little dude can spend the rest of their turn activating it (but may take no further movement or actions with that robot.)

-When a robot moves through a hex where a little dude is standing (unless it is a rubble hex), that robot may make a free one-die melee "stomp" attack against the little dude, dealing a single point of damage if successful. Power dice may not be added to this attack. A robot may pass through a little dude's hex multiple times during the same movement and may make a free "stomp" attack each time it enters the hex. Robots that are force-moved through a little dude's hex may not make a "stomp" attack.

-Once per turn, a little dude may make a single "pea shooter" attack against an enemy robot. Range 5, dice 1, damage 1, cost 0. The "pea shooter" may not be used as a counterattack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
As I was putting this together, I had been considering a version where the players make an equal number (up to 6) of robot decks, and a single pilot deck each. The robots would start in the normal starting hexes, and the pilots in the middle of the board. You wouldn't even have to start in one of your own builds with that setup

I also considered defensive measures to discourage players from preferentially targeting the idle robots, giving them automatic barriers, or damage reduction and immunity to forced movement (with the excuse of a stasis shield). I ended up deciding that simpler was better for my concept, but I like the idea of a more involved setup where the players can potentially be killed between robots. Feel free to make your own variant of the variant!

EDIT: I also rather like the idea of keeping the extra robot decks hidden from anyone but the person who built it - would add a little to the risk factor of going for someone else's build
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.