United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/local/new-bar-in-...

Here's the text of the article, in case you don't want to click through:

Quote:

New bar in Kettering will specialize in board games, craft beers

KETTERING — A bar called “D20: A Bar with Characters,” which will offer board games and table-top gaming to accompany drinks, is coming this fall to Kettering.

The new bar will be located at 2144 E.Whipp Road in the Oak Creek Plaza, next to Peking Gardens.

“This will be very different from any other bar in Dayton,” said Andrew Sparks, co-founder of D20 along with Christine Cooper.

The bar will not have any televisions, but will have more than 200 board games and table-top games available, ranging from Candyland to Risk to Axis & Allies, Sparks said. The intent is to create “almost a coffee-shop vibe,” he said. The D20 name refers to a 20-sided die — or dice — used in some role-playing games.

The 2,500-square-foot space, which previously housed a women’s fitness center and a cell phone store, will have occupancy for 60 to 65. The build-out and plumbing should be complete in three to four months, Sparks said. Plans also call for construction of a small patio, he said.

D20 will feature 20 beer taps as well as craft cocktails and wines.

Sparks previously worked at Belmont Party Supply in Dayton and at Liquor & Wine Warehouse near Miller Lane in Butler Twp.

For more information, check out the D20: A Bar with Characters Facebook page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's well-lit. Somehow, I feel the better locale for this would be closer to one of the universities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
dbias84 wrote:
I hope it's well-lit. Somehow, I feel the better locale for this would be closer to one of the universities.

Definitely. Brown Street right next to the University of Dayton would be a prime spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured Dayton wouldn't be far behind on the game bar/cafe trend. Best of luck to them, I can't wait to check the place out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's literally about a mile from my house. Can't wait till they open!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
dbias84 wrote:

Definitely. Brown Street right next to the University of Dayton would be a prime spot.

To be honest, I won't miss the likely knots of drunken UD students interrupting the gaming. The southern location will be much more conducive to drawing interested gamers from the moneyed suburbs.

And if it isn't well-lit, I have no doubt it will drop gaming quickly or go out of business. I hope that doesn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
To be honest, I won't miss the likely knots of drunken UD students interrupting the gaming. The southern location will be much more conducive to drawing interested gamers from the moneyed suburbs.

Yeah, from a customer perspective that would be a much better situation. I guess I was just thinking about it from a business standpoint. They'd get a much higher flow of money from the constant traffic UD would drive there at all hours. But you're correct, selfishly I'm glad it'll be in Kettering. I just hope they get enough continual business to keep the doors open.

On the other hand, I recently went to Kingmakers, which is a boardgame pub right next to The Ohio State University campus. It definitely was not overrun with drunken college kids. They had families in there, couples on dates, and plenty of other non-college customers. I was actually surprised, as I did expect it to be a drunken college hangout. Then again, Columbus has a much different demographic of night-life than Dayton. So that probably made the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay R
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
There's too much around campus to drag kids all the way down to the Short North. Most of them never end up further than South Campus Gateway. The ones that do are upperclassmen anyway and by then they typically behave themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.