$20.00
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there is the obvious way of just playing with the characters cards in the deck and hope for the best. However, doing it just this way might not work as well, as the cards can reference things not normally in the two other games, such as ship strikes and flaws. I have already addressed some of the concerns of using the Firefly character in this way. Feel free to add suggestions:

You use the main characters instead of the Alien/predator role cards
You add a way for characters to gain talents and flaw cards. Like, everyone gets a flaw when an event/hazard occurs or you gain a talent for defeating an enemy/buying a rare/buying it for a certain amount.

Some of the character cards do reference ship strikes and the inevitable card. Regarding the ship, upgrades, and ship strikes, you can have it where you get a credit for paying a certain amount of currency and the ship gets a ship strike when an event/hazard happens or gets 2 ship strikes when the final enemy enters the combat zone. Of course, if you do use the ship, then you can decide whether or not the game is over when the ship gets filled with ship strikes.

Regarding the Inevitable card, just replace it with the final boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this as well today. Here's what I came up with:

-When you complete part of an objective, gain a talent.
-When you defeat an enemy with a beneficial death effect, you may gain a talent instead.
-If you reveal an event or hazard, gain a Flaw.
-If an enemy with health 8+ (maybe 6+) enters the combat zone, draw a ship strike; the big ones are clearly strong enough to screw up the Nostromo, and in the case of Predators they are smart and savvy enough to damage the ship as well...
-Totally ignore credits/intermission - have one ship upgrade available at all times, you can buy it with recruit equal to credit price+2 or move it to the bottom of the deck for 2 recruit.
-Wash's rare and any other abilities that refer to the inevitable card instead refer to the final enemy.

And also some card-specific errata like we got for AvP mode:

-The SOS: Event changed to "If Kaylee is not a main character, draw one ship strike. If Wash is not a main character, draw one ship strike. If Jayne is not a main character, you and the next character each draw a crew srike."
-Nostromo Hazard 3: When revealed, move it to the rightmost space of the 'verse. If it reaches the Combat Zone, Serenity explodes and you lose. Kaylee and Mal only need to pay 4 to disarm.
-Auriga Hazard 2: replace "add a Hive card to the Complex" with "each player gains a Flaw." Also add "If Book is a main character, he gains two talents."
-You're a Thing. A Construct: Replace "Draw a Strike" with "Gain a Flaw" on the event text. Add "If River is a main character, she gains a Talent."
-She'll Breed, You'll Die: On the Newborn, replace "Ripley card" with "River card." If River is a main character instead, then her Talents count as a "Ripley card" for the Newborn.

That's all I can think of that MUST be changed, there are plenty of other changes that COULD be made. Interested to see other suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your take is interesting, especially with the location/objective erratas.
The part about the beneficial death effect could be iffy in the late game when you get a "kill a character" card when you have good characters in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say limit it to strictly beneficial, like "heal a strike" or "any humber of players draw a card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berney P.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thoughts about this too; I'd been holding off on posting until I could playtest, but I might as well throw my ideas out there.

Playing in the Firefly style:
* Use Main Characters as usual, but put any four characters' decks (from all Encounters games) (except for your main characters) into the Crew Deck.
* Any Objective mini-deck can be used as an Episode (1=A, 2=B, 3=C). 3/C is still Mandatory, earlier Objectives become optional.
** Credits and talent rewards need to be determined for the 1/2/3 Objectives.
** Keep the decks separate, with Inevitable cards at the bottom, per Firefly rules. Use the Intermission rules.
* When using an Objective mini-deck, either take out the Hazard or use a Location (to define the Hazard effect).
** For the one which on Hazard 3 shuffles back in, probably use the Predator rules which only shuffle it in once.
** Alternately all Hazards could become "Draw a Ship Strike"
* Use the Firefly Strike deck and the Browncoats (important thing is limit 5).
* Use Side Jobs and prep rounds per the Firefly rules. Optionally include Drones/Young Bloods as possible inserts among Side Jobs?

Playing in the Alien/Predator style:
* Any Episode can be used as an Objective mini-deck (A=1, B=2, C=3). A/1, B/2 objectives mostly become mandatory, except for Escapes.
** Don't use Inevitable cards or Intermissions. (Stack the decks together per Alien/Predator rules.)
* Deal everyone an Avatar from Alien/Predator and also a Main Character from Firefly (if using at least one Firefly Objective deck), and deal five total Main Characters.
** Players begin with both the Role card and one Talent. The MC defines Talent/Flaw effects.
** Use the lower value for armor and the lower value for health from the two cards.
** Probably exclude the current Main Characters' decks from the Character Deck. Otherwise allow any characters from across the sets.
* Unanswered question: What to do with blank Events (from Alien/Predator) when the current Objective card is from Firefly (since you could get a blank Event from an earlier/later deck or the Drone/Young Blood deck)?
** Idea: Use a random discarded Event card from the current Firefly Objective (or an earlier Firefly Objective if no current one is discarded). If none have been discarded, use the Event effect from the last Alien/Predator Objective to be completed, or the next one pending. If none of these is possible (e.g. Event card from Drone/Young Blood deck in first part of deck when using 3 Firefly Objectives)...???
** Another idea: Treat the first such as a Hazard (since the Firefly Episode decks don't have Hazards), or the first one in each Firefly Objective. Do the above idea for remaining blank Events.
* Use the Alien or Enemy (Predator) Strike deck and the Officers or whatever they were called (important thing is limit 10).
* Use Drones/Young Bloods and prep rounds per the Predator rules.
** Optionally include Side Jobs with the Drones/Young Bloods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berney P.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideas for playing as Predators plowing through the Firefly universe:
* You won't have any Main Characters. If an effect benefits from a Main Character being present, too bad. If an effect punishes a Main Character, it hits the current player. Niska's Revenge hits the current and next player (regardless of priority numbers).
* Use Killer Instincts and the usual Armory rules. Use the Prey Strike deck rather than the Crew Strike deck.
* Talents go to victory pile, worth 1 pt each. Credits are worthless.
* Gain Flaws as normal. Everyone's Flaw effect is "Draw a Strike". (An earlier version of this post said "take Strikes instead of Flaws" but this method works better with Higgins and with the card that's gained as a Flaw but passes around.)
* Ship enemies deal Prey Strikes instead of Ship Strikes. Other effects which would deal Ship Strikes hit each player for one Prey Strike.
** The Episode deck Ship Strikes remain in the 'Verse and apply their effects. When they reach the Combat Zone, move them to Operations/Testing Grounds (Ongoing effects still apply). You can spend the recruit cost to repair the Strike, scoring it (1 pt each, or 3 pts for the 9-cost one from Jaynestown).
* Use Firefly rules for building the decks and ending an Episode, but skip the Intermission.
* Enemies named by Episode A and B Objectives are "Worthy". Enemies named by Episode C Objectives are "Ultimate". All C Objectives must be met (not just one Ultimate Prey) (or a Predator has to die, or the Inevitable card has to trigger the ending) for the game to end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yenreb wrote:
I had thoughts about this too; I'd been holding off on posting until I could playtest, but I might as well throw my ideas out there.

Playing in the Alien/Predator style:
* Any Episode can be used as an Objective mini-deck (A=1, B=2, C=3). A/1, B/2 objectives mostly become mandatory, except for Escapes.
** Don't use Inevitable cards or Intermissions. (Stack the decks together per Alien/Predator rules.)
* Deal everyone an Avatar from Alien/Predator and also a Main Character from Firefly (if using at least one Firefly Objective deck), and deal five total Main Characters.
** Players begin with both the Role card and one Talent. The MC defines Talent/Flaw effects.
** Use the lower value for armor and the lower value for health from the two cards.
** Probably exclude the current Main Characters' decks from the Character Deck. Otherwise allow any characters from across the sets.
* Unanswered question: What to do with blank Events (from Alien/Predator) when the current Objective card is from Firefly (since you could get a blank Event from an earlier/later deck or the Drone/Young Blood deck)?
** Idea: Use a random discarded Event card from the current Firefly Objective (or an earlier Firefly Objective if no current one is discarded). If none have been discarded, use the Event effect from the last Alien/Predator Objective to be completed, or the next one pending. If none of these is possible (e.g. Event card from Drone/Young Blood deck in first part of deck when using 3 Firefly Objectives)...???
** Another idea: Treat the first such as a Hazard (since the Firefly Episode decks don't have Hazards), or the first one in each Firefly Objective. Do the above idea for remaining blank Events.
* Use the Alien or Enemy (Predator) Strike deck and the Officers or whatever they were called (important thing is limit 10).
* Use Drones/Young Bloods and prep rounds per the Predator rules.
** Optionally include Side Jobs with the Drones/Young Bloods?

What's the point of having both an Avatar and Main Character? I should think the point of mixing is some people would want to be the characters from Alien/Predator, and some are from Firefly. If you're all Firefly main characters with an A/P setup, why have an Avatar also? It's not like they're referenced by any game text you'd be missing. If Firefly people simply ignore the instruction to defeat the Talent card after activating it, it functions identically to the starter cards added by the A/P Avatars.

My suggestion for blank events would be to trigger the Flaw for the current player, or that of the next person in turn order should the current player be using an A/P Avatar - you could definitely have them be Hazards instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.