Hide
1 Posts

Tiki Island» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Tiki Island Preview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Mortensen
msg tools
This preview is based on a preview version of the game received from the designers.

In Tiki Island you play as a group of Islanders whose island is getting destroyed by a disaster. Your islanders decide that the island directly across the ocean from them must be better off (it isn't) so they decide to brave the journey across the ocean to reach their new home.

Basically your goal in Tiki Island is to build a path of island tiles from your starting island to your goal island and move all of your islanders to the other island. In Tiki Island you basically have four actions that you can perform that are determined by a die roll. You can move your islanders, you can build island tiles within a given number of spaces from your tiki, you can draw cards, and you can get the soar ability which allows you to break the other movement rules while moving your islanders.

I have to say that I really enjoyed my time with Tiki Island. What I like about the game is that it is pretty simple but still has quite a bit of strategy. There is more to the game than just building a path from one island to another since you will run into the other players and have to try and find a way around them.

The thing I might like most about Tiki Island though is the fact that the game gives you choices. If you roll a number that gives you an action that you don't really want you can always take a basic action that while not as good as the actions you roll for still lets you do what you want on a given turn. Don't like the ability of one of your cards? You can get rid of the card to take a different action. This ability to choose what you want to do on your turn creates the perfect blend of strategy and luck where there is enough luck to keep the game interesting but your decisions make a difference in who wins the game.

If Tiki Island looks interesting to you I think you will enjoy the game.

For my full preview of Tiki Island check out http://www.geekyhobbies.com/tiki-island-board-game-preview/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.