Popular Tags: [View All]
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Knew KD: M for a long time and finally take my time to learn more about this game. One question I have is how exactly expansions work for this game? There are too many expansion out there and I'm overwhelmed.

Also looking forward to the reprint and I'm going to get it this time. Should I just get the base game, or is there expansion that will be "require"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most expansions are modular, so you can insert them into specific years during your settlement's timeline and replace something else with them. The expansions have rulebooks that explain what years to use them and suggest what to replace in some situations (Gorm can replace the White Lion, Spidicules can replace the Screaming Antelope, etc.)

There are not "required" expansions. The game is fully playable and awesome with just the core set. You will probably get 100+ hours out of just the core box if you want. If you want the biggest bang for your buck with expansions, though, you can buy expansions that create all new timelines and rules for your settlements (Dragon King, Sunstalker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDermott
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game will blow your mind.

Once I realized how many different paths and strategies are possible and knowing I might not see all the content in the base game after 10 complete campaigns... I bought all the expansions and waved goodbye the rest of the other great games on the shelf.

I really like the %knight expansions.. hope my 8 current campaigns can get past year 9.

Excited to see what will happen with KDM once September rolls around!
(c'mon... Lantern Festival...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the opinions. That really clear things up for me.

BTW, what is the MSRP for the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lastsurvivor00 wrote:

$400

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kohlhepp
United States
allentown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
lastsurvivor00 wrote:

$400

And worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
Styfen wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:
Gorm can replace the White Lion

Just to be clear, the Gorm does not replace the white lion, it's an additional quarry rather than a replacement one.

OP: There are no required expansions, play the game as is when you first get it and then look about to see what experience you want next. If you want a new story then Sunstalker or Dragon King are ideal, if you want to expand on your experience as is, the Gorm is your first port of call. To be honest, the Gorm is the best of the expansions by a long margin, it adds a huge amount of stuff to the game and makes the early part of the game very interesting.

As a quick summary, this is very rough and ready, here is what expansion gives you.

Hunt Quarries:
Gorm - Additional quarry to hunt, with all the associated locations, cards, gear and so forth. Recommended 1st buy.

Spidicules - replaces the Screaming Antelope, but is more of a mid campaign monster. Worth waiting on getting.

Flower Knight - Additional quarry to hunt in the early part of the mid campaign. Very interesting, recommended.

Dung Beetle Knight - Maybe the best designed expansion, this one is a very hard creature to hunt but it has probably the best creature specific gear as compensation. Recommended as a purchase if you want something to buff up the late part of the campaign.

Lion God - Insanely hard creature, a real challenge, not really worth it in the current campaign. Feels like it was designed to be fought a lot later on than the current campaigns reach to. Something for the very experienced player.

Nemesis:
Manhunter - Additional Nemesis, interesting but can be very brutal to play against. Recommended as first additional nemesis.

Lion Knight - Additional Nemesis. Fun, interesting to fight, unique. Adds a bit of levity to the campaign.

Slender Man - Replaces Kings Man from the main campaign, dangerous, unique, has some amazing gear. I prefer it over the Kings Man, but it is hard work.

The Lonely Tree - Easy to fit into a campaign, but not worth the money. Pass on this one until it gets a rework.

Alternate Campaigns
Dragon King - Includes a full campaign with a unique nemesis and a new monster to hunt in other campaigns. Monster is very difficult but has unique gear.

Sunstalker - Includes a full campaign and a new monster to hunt in other campaigns. Monster is interesting, challenging and also provides unique gear.

Other
Green Knight Armour - Needs the Manhunter, Flower Knight, Lion Knight, Spidicules, Dung Beetle Knight and Gorm to be able to craft this stuff. It's like a super challenge mode for experienced players. This is a cheap set, but you can't use it properly without the other expansions.

Other people may have different opinions. Mine: Just get the base game, unless there is some kind of sale on. If there is, prioritize the best expansions (Gorm, Flower Knight, Lion Knight, Manhunter, Dung Beetle and Green Knight Armor seems like the best combination) or priortize the alternate campaigns. Your call, as long as you avoid the Lonely Tree and pick up Spidicules/Lion God late on, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the comprehensive list. Quick question without giving away any spoilers, what's the difference between Nemesis and Hunt Quarries? Is a Nemesis like a boss or something that gets triggered specifically somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quarries are things you hunt, nemeses are, yeah, basically bosses- while some are optional, they're basically scheduled hurdles, so far less frequent.

If you're debating, I'd prioritize low level quarries (esp. gorm + flower knight) over nemeses, and would suggest the slender man if only picking one nemesis, because IMHO it's a far more interesting fight, which replaces a really obnoxious and not very exciting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Nick.
Basically, the Slender Man is still tough (and adds in its unique style), but compensates with a bit of options for crafting later on, replacing the King's Man, which is a brutal, nasty guy. If you add the Manhunter without replacing the King's Man, you get two brutal, nasty guys that could be downright frustrating for new players (and not just for new players... I still never ever managed to kill a L1 King's Man )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:
Gorm can replace the White Lion

Just to be clear, the Gorm does not replace the white lion, it's an additional quarry rather than a replacement one.

OP: There are no required expansions, play the game as is when you first get it and then look about to see what experience you want next. If you want a new story then Sunstalker or Dragon King are ideal, if you want to expand on your experience as is, the Gorm is your first port of call. To be honest, the Gorm is the best of the expansions by a long margin, it adds a huge amount of stuff to the game and makes the early part of the game very interesting.

As a quick summary, this is very rough and ready, here is what expansion gives you.

Hunt Quarries:
Gorm - Additional quarry to hunt, with all the associated locations, cards, gear and so forth. Recommended 1st buy.

Spidicules - replaces the Screaming Antelope, but is more of a mid campaign monster. Worth waiting on getting.

Flower Knight - Additional quarry to hunt in the early part of the mid campaign. Very interesting, recommended.

Dung Beetle Knight - Maybe the best designed expansion, this one is a very hard creature to hunt but it has probably the best creature specific gear as compensation. Recommended as a purchase if you want something to buff up the late part of the campaign.

Lion God - Insanely hard creature, a real challenge, not really worth it in the current campaign. Feels like it was designed to be fought a lot later on than the current campaigns reach to. Something for the very experienced player.

Nemesis:
Manhunter - Additional Nemesis, interesting but can be very brutal to play against. Recommended as first additional nemesis.

Lion Knight - Additional Nemesis. Fun, interesting to fight, unique. Adds a bit of levity to the campaign.

Slender Man - Replaces Kings Man from the main campaign, dangerous, unique, has some amazing gear. I prefer it over the Kings Man, but it is hard work.

The Lonely Tree - Easy to fit into a campaign, but not worth the money. Pass on this one until it gets a rework.

Alternate Campaigns
Dragon King - Includes a full campaign with a unique nemesis and a new monster to hunt in other campaigns. Monster is very difficult but has unique gear.

Sunstalker - Includes a full campaign and a new monster to hunt in other campaigns. Monster is interesting, challenging and also provides unique gear.

Other
Green Knight Armour - Needs the Manhunter, Flower Knight, Lion Knight, Spidicules, Dung Beetle Knight and Gorm to be able to craft this stuff. It's like a super challenge mode for experienced players. This is a cheap set, but you can't use it properly without the other expansions.

Other people may have different opinions. Mine: Just get the base game, unless there is some kind of sale on. If there is, prioritize the best expansions (Gorm, Flower Knight, Lion Knight, Manhunter, Dung Beetle and Green Knight Armor seems like the best combination) or priortize the alternate campaigns. Your call, as long as you avoid the Lonely Tree and pick up Spidicules/Lion God late on, you can't go wrong.

Very nice list. I havn't got to play the Coregame yet but had to get some expansions. And without this knowledge/list.

I actually got Manhunter, Gorm, Dung Beetle Knight and Green Knight Armour.

Can the Green Knight Armour still work without the Flower Night and Lion Night? or do you get everything out of the set with these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with almost everything Styfen said. I kind of like the Lonely Tree, but it's the second to last thing I would grab. It really doesn't add enough to warrant its cost (even if I love environmental models). Man Hunter rides the bottom for me, actively regret purchasing him due to his infuriating fight which leads us to never adding him to our campaigns.

Flower Knight is a personal favorite followed shortly by Gorm. I would almost put Lion Knight up there, but he goes against the tone a bit which is something we enjoy however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
About the tone, I feel that the tone is as much dark humour as it's horror.
I would dare say that it's pretty difficult to play KDM in a mood that is similar to the one you would have playing Alien:Isolation (recent), Slender: the eight pages (less recent), or the original Silent Hill (least recent), don't you agree?

Anyway, the Lion Knight is a very funny showdown with interesting development. As usual, an additional Showdown that is best to have with Protect the Young and a couple of Matchmakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, just bought Manhunter. I got the Lonely Tree as one of my first models because I love terrain, but I too was surprised at the lack of content for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonely Tree is a bit underwhelming and has a few very annoying typos (but Dragon King, Dung Beetle Knight and Sunstalker also have them, and it's not that a big deal). The real problem is that the miniature makes for 80% of the expansion value, so anyone that just wanted new content feels a bit disappointed.

Anyway, I always use it. The hunt event adds a pleasant layer of strategy, and the nemesis encounter is fun (the second time, the first time you go there unprepared and get your... uh... belongings handed to you as fast as lightning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Darkwing Dahl wrote:
Can the Green Knight Armour still work without the Flower Night and Lion Night? or do you get everything out of the set with these?

You can't build everything, but you can build some of the parts. However, if I remember correctly the Flower Knight is required for three of the pieces. It's really core to the set. Lion Knight is required for one piece.

For the record, I also rather like the Lonely Tree, and I like how it basically fits into every single campaign very easily as it is low impact on the timeline, but I was not impressed that it comes with a completely useless model that could have easily been included as part of the encounter with the tree. It's the least bang for the buck game content wise by a long margin. It could have been so much more.

I will see if I can get a Flower Knight added to my shipment

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got a Lonely Tree for half a price on ebay . I hope it's not as bad as everyone says, but I guess for 30euro it's at least worth a try. Besides the model itself is gorgious so I will have some fun assembling and painting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assembling it could not be "fun" at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
Assembling it could not be "fun" at all

Agreed. Most of the KDM models are fairly easy to mix-and-match just by looking at the models and figuring out where to slot the pieces in. But I had to go look at Vibrant Lantern to figure out some parts of the Lonely Tree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
the model is worth the price, the showdown is very fun and thematic, but unfortunately it happens so rarely, the rewards are on par with King's Man (butcher and hand are a lot more rewarding, imho)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I loved assembling the lonely tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too enjoy assembling KD minis. Sure there's a few that annoy me that won't stand up, but the challenge and sense of reward I get after I'm done really make me feel accomplished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.