Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
I understand that the ring and the character die are separate functions within the game.

I under stand that a ring can be used in a standard function once by the FP, then passed to the SP and then used once more and then removed from the game.

But, for instance, if Gandalf KoN uses the Narya the Great special ability, is that a one-time event and then ring then passes to the SP, and then out of the game?

Or can Gandalf (or Galadriel or Elrond) use this special ability multiple times and it is only the standard use of the ring (to change a die roll result) that causes the rung to pass to the SP.

I think they are both one time events, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are both one time events. Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel's ring-based abilities use their specific ring similarly to using the ring for a re-roll. So it gets passed to the SP, then out of the game after the SP uses it (unless you use an event card to regain extra uses of the rings).

However, using their special abilities does not count towards the limit of using 1 ring per turn. So you could use a ring normally to change a die result, then use Elrind/Vilya to keep that die after using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they are both "one-time", see P.14 of the rules for new special ring abilities for how they are used.

I put one-time in quotes as there is an event card that can potentially recover the rings after they have been used.

Ninjaed ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Hi and thanks for your replies.

I have had te game and the expansion for a long tine but only have had the chance to play twice with my son.

We are going to just jump in with the expansion (and add WoME) when it arrives as well.

It seems to me from reading that learning just the base isn't really going to help and we might have to unlearn some habits to really play the expansion well.

thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.