Hide
19 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Crystal Homunculus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nepycros Necros
msg tools
So I came up with a Hero concept a couple months back, and when I checked BGG, I didn't see anything like the theme I had in mind, so I was tempted to post, but... now that enough time has passed, it's entirely possible one identical idea has been posted before mine.

Not only that, I'm extremely nervous about posting this idea, since there might be an element of custom etiquette I'm unaware of, or the idea might just be laugh-worthy. Either way, I've sat on this long enough I'd enjoy having some outside opinions. So, here I introduce the Crystal Homunculus.

Crystal Homunculus
HP: 40
[No Nemesis Yet]

Charging: While Crystal Homunculus is active, ignore all text on Crystal Shards beneath the word "Charged".
Condense
Power:
Crystal Homunculus deals itself 4 irreducible energy damage. If it takes damage this way, you may place one card from your hand under any Crystal Shard in play.

Incapacitated
Crystal Shards in play, and cards beneath them, are not removed from play. Instead, move them next to active Heroes. For all Crystal Shards, replace Crystal Homunculus with that Hero's name, and you meaning that Hero's player.

* One Hero may draw a card now.
* One player reveals the top two cards of their deck. Put them back in any order.
* Move one Crystal Shard to another Hero.

One-Shot
Crystalline Protocol Rerouting (3)
One-Shot
Draw a card. You may put all cards underneath one Crystal Shard either into your trash, or beneath a different Crystal Shard.

Fractal (2)
One-Shot
Select one other Hero target. Until the start of your next turn, whenever Crystal Homunculus deals damage, that target also deals 1 non-Hero target 1 damage of the type dealt.

Grounded Conductor (3)
One-Shot
Draw 2 cards, then put one card from your hand underneath a Crystal Shard in play. If there are no Crystal Shards in play, deal all targets 2 Lightning damage.

Inevitable Sacrifice (3)
One-Shot
All Hero targets regain 1 HP. You may draw a card. You may play a card.

Rescheduled Detonation (3)
One-Shot
Place any number of cards from your hand underneath any Crystal Shards in play. Crystal Homunculus deals itself X Fire damage and draws X cards, where X is the number of cards placed beneath Crystal Shards this way.

Survival Instinct Script (2)
One-Shot
Put the top 2 cards of your deck underneath a Crystal Shard. Crystal Homunculus regains X HP, where X is the number of cards beneath that Crystal Shard.

Prismatic Code (4)
One-Shot
Search your deck or trash for a Crystal Shard and put it into play. If you searched your deck, shuffle it. You may put a card from the top of your deck under a Crystal Shard. You may put this card under a Crystal Shard.

Ongoing
Charged Bond (3)
Ongoing
Power: You may select 1 Crystal Shard in play, and destroy it. Either draw X cards or deal X damage, where X is the number of cards beneath it.

Forced Reboot (2)
Ongoing, Limited
The first time Crystal Homunculus is dealt 3 or more damage by a Hero target each turn, you may either draw a card or use a Power.

Hardened Carapace (3)
Ongoing
Power: Crystal Homunculus deals a target 2 Melee damage. If you've taken Energy, Fire, Lightning, or Radiant damage since the end of your last turn, deal that target 2 damage of each type you took.

Manifested Lattice (2)
Ongoing, Limited
The first time Crystal Homunculus takes damage each turn, you may place one card from your hand underneath a Crystal Shard.

Pristine Synthesis (2)
Ongoing, Limited
Increase damage dealt by Crystal Homunculus by 1 if any Crystal Shard in play has 5 or more cards beneath it.

Reflective Anatomy (3)
Ongoing, Limited
Crystal Homunculus is immune to Energy, Fire, Lightning, and Radiant damage. Increase all Energy, Fire, Lightning, and Radiant damage by 2.

At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Crystal Shard
Armored Shell (1)
Crystal Shard
When a card is placed beneath this card, select a Hero. Damage dealt to that Hero is reduced by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Charged:
Power:
Remove the top card beneath this card from play. If you do, the Hero next to this card regains 2 HP, also reduce damage dealt to that Hero by 2 until the start of your next turn.

Overloaded Core (1)
Crystal Shard
When a card is placed beneath this card, Crystal Homunculus deals itself and 1 other target 2 Fire damage.

When Crystal Homunculus would be reduced to 0 or fewer HP, it deals X Fire damage to all targets, where X is the number of cards beneath this card. Then destroy this card.

Programmable Matter (1)
Crystal Shard
When a card is placed beneath this card, one player may draw a card.

Charged:
When any of that Hero's cards would be destroyed, remove the bottom-most card underneath this card from the game instead for each card that would be destroyed.

Shapeless Gem (1)
Crystal Shard
When a card is placed beneath this card, 1 Hero target regains 1 HP.

Charged:
Increase damage dealt by the Hero next to this card by 1. If there are 5 or more cards underneath this card, they may play an additional card during their play phase and draw an additional card during their draw phase.

Stimulant Simulacrum (1)
Crystal Shard
When a card is placed beneath this card, one other Hero may use a Power.

Charged:
At the start of your turn, you may shuffle the cards beneath this card; if you do, reveal the top card underneath this card. If it is an Ongoing card put it into play. That card affects the Hero next to this card as if that Hero's name were on the card instead of Crystal Homunculus, and you meaning that Hero's player. Otherwise, remove it from play.

So as one might be able to see, Crystal Homunculus is very awkward when it comes to effects related to incapacitation. His cards don't immediately go away, and they can become buffs for other heroes once he's defeated. In that way, he's more self-destructive than any other hero I can think of, and his interaction with the board isn't very strong in the early game. I wonder about how much fun it would be to play this hero.

If the idea of an incapacitated hero leaving behind goodies for other heroes is just abhorrent, then the idea dies; but if there's any potential, I'd love to see what changes can be made to make it a real impacting hero.

Version 2: Crystal Homunculus now has text reduced via instructions on his Character card. Crystal Shards now have effects when cards are placed beneath them. Some of them have been modified to be more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, solid, and placing cards under Crystal Shards seems like a cool mechanic.

That said, a hero's cards are supposed to be removed from the game when they incap... Then again, that idea of "incapacitated hero leaves behind goodies" is kind of severely awesome. You should consider making his incap powers very basic (keep the third one, as that's useful) to balance this. I mean, consider that he can have upwards of four extra 'incap powers' in play that are always active. You might even want to reduce his total number of incap powers by one, but that's just my initial thoughts.

40 HP is pretty high, even if he's gonna be killing himself pretty steadily. I think the most HP on an official hero is 34?

I like Forced Reboot, that'll synergize well with some of his self-damage cards.

Hardened Carapace looks like the Mindbreaker title, in that it'll be hard to track. You might just want to make it a once-per-turn ongoing effect where you can redirect or retaliate against those four types of damage.

Reflective Anatomy seems like a crazy play. Are you sure it shouldn't be Limited? (I'd go with a +1 increase instead of +2 if there's any chance you can have more than one copy in play.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nepycros Necros
msg tools
TakeWalker wrote:
Thematically, solid, and placing cards under Crystal Shards seems like a cool mechanic.

That said, a hero's cards are supposed to be removed from the game when they incap...

I would've thought the same before, but I recently stumbled on the Temple of Zhu Long environment, which allows incapacitated heroes to be revived, and their cards shuffled into their deck. I figure if such a thing is possible, then my deck is even safer than that. Additionally, the Kaargra Warfang deck specifies that Title cards aren't part of the Villain deck. I applied both traits to distinguish Crystal Shards as being 'treated' as part of the equipped Hero's deck.

TakeWalker wrote:
Then again, that idea of "incapacitated hero leaves behind goodies" is kind of severely awesome. You should consider making his incap powers very basic (keep the third one, as that's useful) to balance this. I mean, consider that he can have upwards of four extra 'incap powers' in play that are always active. You might even want to reduce his total number of incap powers by one, but that's just my initial thoughts.

I don't quite follow whether you mean I should add more powers (he can have upwards of 4?) or take them away (reduce his total number), but I chose 2 weak Incap powers and 1 strong one. In theory, the player using Crystal Homunculus will be devoting his time to setting up his Crystal Shards, and from that point forward, he'll be switching them between players in a tactical fashion. I'd say in the early game, he's difficulty 2, but switches to difficulty 1 when Incapped.

TakeWalker wrote:
40 HP is pretty high, even if he's gonna be killing himself pretty steadily. I think the most HP on an official hero is 34?

Haka's HP does seem like a hard cap for custom heroes from what I've seen. Ideally, if I tested Crystal Homunculus, I'd be able to find what kind of HP is suitable for a self-destructive hero that conceivably is supposed to die before other heroes. Also, against harder opponents that target Heroes with the highest HP, Crystal Homunculus soaks up a round's worth of damage, making his time spent in play even lower, and reducing the number of cards he can place under Shards.

TakeWalker wrote:
Hardened Carapace looks like the Mindbreaker title, in that it'll be hard to track. You might just want to make it a once-per-turn ongoing effect where you can redirect or retaliate against those four types of damage.

Well, I've already got something that makes him immune to those types, so this was meant to make him more offensive if he's been damaged by those types. It can have effects that synergize with Fanatic's Embolden as well, which I found to be a positive characteristic. If he had tokens (I know, ew) that kept track of what types of damage he's been dealt, it could be suitable. Until then, I feel like it only requires as much bookkeeping as Coolant Blast.

TakeWalker wrote:
Reflective Anatomy seems like a crazy play. Are you sure it shouldn't be Limited? (I'd go with a +1 increase instead of +2 if there's any chance you can have more than one copy in play.)

Ah, it destroys itself at the start of Crystal Homunculus' turn. I thought that was a strong enough debuff to ensure it isn't abused. If he somehow got 3 out, then yes field nukes are aplenty, but I compared it with Imbued Fire when I considered it. I can still make it Limited once I've made a few considerations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhu Long, good point!

I meant "4 incap powers" vis-a-vis the Shards being ongoing powers of his. And draw a card might be less powerful/useful than play a card, for his actual incap powers. Just sayin'.

And for Reflective Anatomy, consider what will happen with an out-of-turn card play, something that's becoming more and more common in the base game. That's what I'm really getting at.

Honestly, I want to know how this guy plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I like the idea. But there is some trouble with the deck.

The Crystals are a major part of your deck that you invest in building up, but they don't do anything until you incap.

A hero that builds up but only uses that build up when it dies isn't so great.

I like the idea of the cards sticking around after the hero is gone, and having the character likely to incap, but the crystals should work the same while you are active as they do when you aren't.

Also I think the staying in play part could be relegated to the incap side of the hero, instead of a boilerplate on each crystal. Each Crystal would also need to protect the cards under it, or those would be removed when you incap. (like La Capitan or Savage Mana, the cards under other cards from your deck leave the game when you incap)

You could put text on the incap side that says:

Crystals and cards under Crystals do not leave play when Crystal Humonculus is incapacitated.

Then you could give each crystal static benefits, something like:

Armored Shell
Increase the Max health of a hero next to this card by X, where X is the number of cards under this card. The hero next to this card gains the following power:
Power: Discard a card from under this card, the Hero next to this card regains 2hp.

Alternately, you could leave the powers in your hero's care:

Armored Shell
Play this card next to a Hero character card.
Increase the Max health of a target next to this card by X, where X is the number of cards under this card.

Crystaline Healing
One Shot
Each target next to a Crystal regains 2hp.

-or-
Crystaline Healing
Ongoing
Power: Each target next to a Crystal regains 2 HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:

As the foil cards have been released, I can say... Akash'Thriya has 50 HP, and her promo version has 40.

So, y'know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nepycros Necros
msg tools
Something feels off about all this. Your entire post seems to go under the claim that cards shouldn't have no effect for any period of time.

Quote:
A hero that builds up but only uses that build up when it dies isn't so great.

And yet that's the core concept of the character, which you seem intent on suggesting should be changed so dramatically that it loses ALL of its original flavor.

Quote:
I like the idea of the cards sticking around after the hero is gone, and having the character likely to incap, but the crystals should work the same while you are active as they do when you aren't.

This destroys everything about Crystal Homunculus' core concept. Why incapacitate him at all, then? He's much stronger while he's active compared to when he's knocked out in your idea, so any sacrifice is moot. In fact, in the form you suggest, he's overpowered, providing an immense buff for little to no cost. The only gimmick he has after that is that his cards don't disappear, continuing to provide good boosts.

When Crystal Homunculus was thought up, I decided that his core concept would be sacrifice and persisting effects, because I wanted him to be a Hero whose nature wasn't easy to see. When you set up a team of Heroes, and H is decided to be 3, 4, or 5, then in the early game I wanted it to feel like he almost wasn't there. That the heroes were fighting a losing battle, because the H effects are stronger while the heroes weren't necessarily more powerful. And then I wanted Crystal Homunculus to go down after scrapping together enough pieces to turn the tide and give the Heroes power-ups, a fighting chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nepycros wrote:
Pristine Synthesis (2)
Ongoing, Limited
Increase damage dealt by Crystal Homunculus by 1 if there is a Crystal Shard underneath a Crystal Shard.

Just a quick note that this probably doesn't work mechanically. Cards under other cards have a type (Villain, Hero, Environment) but no text. So a card under a crystal shard doesn't have the keyword text, so it can't be a crystal shard itself. It's just a hero card from CH's deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nepycros Necros
msg tools
Quote:
Just a quick note that this probably doesn't work mechanically. Cards under other cards have a type (Villain, Hero, Environment) but no text. So a card under a crystal shard doesn't have the keyword text, so it can't be a crystal shard itself. It's just a hero card from CH's deck.

Any suggestions? Thematically, he's refining his abilities by sacrificing end game potential; losing a Crystal Shard under a Crystal Shard is supposed to embody him improving the strength of his prismatic abilities. I'd like it if it was possible to pull off, so I'm open to ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:

As the foil cards have been released, I can say... Akash'Thriya has 50 HP, and her promo version has 40.

Holy crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I like the idea of the hero and keeping cards around when dead is cool, and I really like the mechanic of spending cards to "Charge-up" your crystals, but I have to agree with Phantaskippy, I'm not sure this would lead to fun play. It seems the way to play CH well is to get Crystal shards aplenty/stack stuff underneath them, and when he dies goodies for all. Sounds simple enough!

However, you have a strong tension in CH's HP - if you go out of your way to get him beaten up (using his base power a lot, mostly) he will probably die fairly fast but then you feel bad for him not soaking damage that will now go to the other heroes, plus it becomes pretty boring for the CH player. I'd feel bad telling anyone at my table "Right Dave, your job is to die as fast as possible and then we'll maybe win without you!"

On the other hand, if you play him more or less normally (without a lot dealing himself damage, that is), he'll likely die at about the same time as everyone else is going down (if not after due to his monstrous HP) - and then you only have a turn or two of his cool tricks before the game is over (one way or another) anyway.

To my mind, it would seem more fun to play if the Crystal shards were just good cards worth playing in their own right that hang around if CH dies. Perhaps they start on CH himself, giving him a benefit, but when he dies they are distributed to other players? This takes the incap effect to a cool consolation prize if he dies, rather than the only way they're effective being suicide. Might also work if he had a very low natural HP (22ish?) so he'd die early through organic play and fulfill his purpose without giving players the head scratching incentive to kill him?

Design wise, the Crystal Shards seem a bit uneven, and in some cases I don't think I'd feel that excited about spending my plays/punching myself in the face to put cards under them.

Armoured Shell: The power is useful, but the boost to max HP doesn't mean a heck of a lot, as by the point in the game that CH is dead no one is going to be likely to heal back up to full health, much less a slightly higher full health. Can't see myself putting a lot of cards below this one...

Programmable Matter: The effect here is pretty niche... I'm not saying that equipment destruction NEVER happens because it clearly does, but it's not that common and when it does as you can only prevent destruction of one hero's gear the others might still suffer. I can see this not mattering in a lot of games. Could be good in a few corner cases like Expat's ammo, Argent Adept's Cedistic Dissonant (and is probably broken with Fanatic's Aegis) but not that useful in most games as most heroes don't destroy their gear.

Stimulant Simulacrum: This shard more or less grants the holder 1 extra HP (admittedly, at a pretty key time), so if I'm asked to use my power to deal myself 4 (and lose a card) so that someone can gain 1, that seems like a pretty poor trade.

Overloaded core and Shapeless Gem are cool though, especially the later - quite a lot of investment, but a big payoff if you get 5 under it!

Anyway, overall like the idea and theme, but I think it needs some decent sized tweaks to give fun gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to do might be to give the Shards an effect specific to CH when they're in play, not dependent on cards beneath them, and then have the latter effect other heroes once he's gone. Yes/no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:
TakeWalker wrote:

So, y'know.

Of those with full decks in the wild, PW Haka has 35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nepycros Necros
msg tools
Seeing as how there has been a fairly unanimous opinion on the nature of Crystal Shards, I'll try and work at making CH more suitable for team play. I apologize for my tone in previous posts, as well.

So, if I'm going to improve Crystal Homunculus, the reigning ideas are that I should have Crystal Shards, and cards beneath them, be exempted from being removed from play on CH's flipped side (similar to the Captain Cosmic promo!)

Quote:
Important! The back side of this card also includes: "Before removing your cards from play, shuffle all construct cards into a deck and place them under this card. When a construct is destroyed, it is removed from the game."

Additionally, Crystal Shards should have some kind of effect while in play to justify spending cards and health. This is something I struggle with. Ideally, the cards would only show their "true strength" when CH is flipped, because I want him to play the role of a sacrificial player with the ability to shape the late game and support the team.

But if I can switch the "stay in play" effect to CH's character card, I can fit more effects on the Shards. I could even have 1 effect for while CH is in play, and another effect for when they're next to other heroes. Which leads to the next point:

The primary effects of Crystal Shards need to be updated. Protecting Equipment, while potentially valuable, is no substitute for the other Shards. In the current situation, only two of the shards would ever be reliably used. So, I need to switch them out. Thematically, they're parts of CH's anatomy, going off the idea of an artificial and reinforced structure that can be 'equipped'.

With the right advice, I can cover the first point easily.

Next up is deciding what effects they'll have for CH while they're in play. Something to justify putting cards under them. Immediate effects such as "When a card is put under this Shard, deal 1 lightning damage" are the most immediate answers, though variety is the spice of life! I'll take any suggestions.

And lastly, the effects for the Crystal Shards are hard to balance for. Protecting Equipment/Ongoing can make the difference against villains with heavy destruction, but aside from that they're mostly just decorum. Depending on what effects I can come up with, the number of Shards can change as well.

I'll appreciate any help or ideas! Even though this is a custom hero made by me, I want it to be tempered and refined into something I'm proud of.

Regarding my attempts to complete the first and second part of the challenge, I'd like to potentially save as much text as possible. I don't want to have walls of text like Guise's incapped side. Ideally, I want CH's card to say that "Crystal Shards are moved next to other Heroes instead of being removed from play," and "Crystal Shards provide some effect to the Hero next to them, other than Crystal Homunculus."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nepycros Necros
msg tools
One thing I'm noticing is that I'm still getting lots of repeat text for each Crystal Shard. So I think I should have a set-up card similar to The Sentinels. This way, I can distinguish Crystal Shards as having 1 effect while it's active, and 1 while it is incapacitated, applying the effects beneath a keyword. Though I'm not nearly versed enough in Sentinels lexicons to know what to write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Some more random thoughts.

What if the powering up of crystals (cards under) were treated more as charges, like:

"Play this card next to a hero.
At the start of your turn you may move a card under this card to the appropriate trash, if you do the hero next to this card regains 2hp."

Others could say:

"When the target next to this card would be dealt damage you may move a card under this card to the appropriate trash, if you do reduce that damage by 2"

"When the target next to this card would deal damage you may move a card under this card to the appropriate trash, if you do increase that damage by 2 and make it irreducible."

The strength of the effects would have to balance out with the ease of getting cards under the crystals.

For example if a card play/power were equal to 1 card under a crystal then that card under a crystal would need to be equivalent to the effect of a power or card play. If a card play/power will get you 3 cards under, then the effect needs to be less.

If you use "X" effects as static effects, like:

"Reduce the first damage dealt to the hero next to this card each turn by X"

Then the strength builds as the cards are charged up.

If you go with flat amounts then the build up of CH would be in the cards that let him put cards under.

Obviously my examples are extremely simplified effects, but I hope they help you think about how to give persistent value while building up.

I'd have the innate power be:

Power: Select a crystal in play. Either move that crystal next to a different target or put a card from your hand under that crystal. Draw a card.

That should fit (149 characters+spaces) as an innate and gives the ability to stock a crystal or move it, with the benefit of drawing a card to build your hand, which could be used for discards or more stocking with other cards.

The explosion style effect on incap could just become an incap ability, a set of three that went:

*Move a crystal in play next to a different hero.
*Each Hero may put the top card of their deck under a crystal in play.
*A crystal deals one Target X irreducible energy damage, where X is 2 times the number of cards under that crystal. Destroy that crystal.

That would let you fully operate your crystals while incapacitated, or blow them up for a big shot of damage.

The precedent for cards staying in play is official, the new Captain Cosmic Character card does that with his constructs and Team format Ambuscade does it as well, so the rules are already established for how it will work, which makes it a lot easier for custom characters, because you don't have to spell out how it will work, it will work like the official game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Brown
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In both cases of Captain Cosmic and Villains Ambuscade flipping, their incap side does give hint text for how it would look. So, if you do go that route, try something like:

"Setup: Remove all your cards from play except for Crystals that are in other players' play area and cards beneath them. When any of your cards in play are destroyed, remove them from play instead."

I really like some of the ideas in here; I'd been working on a hero at one point that mechanically defends other players, but some of the concepts are similar to in here (and done better!), so I may have to shift Edsall up a little bit if he ever wants to see the light of day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try helping.

Sitting around, defeated, while your friends play with your toys isn't too appealing, but it is how you want this hero deck to function. So, to that end, I recommend ditching the idea of moving the Shards upon incapacitation. Just keep them in front of you and your third incapacitated ability would read "Use a power on a Shard." Just make sure that all the Shard powers say "One hero deals..." or "one player may..."

This saves much text regarding moving the Shards, treating the hero next to the Shard as the hero specified by the card, blah blah blah.

This gives the intentionally incapacitated hero more to do and more choices to make while dead, maintaining interest in a hero meant to die. It also caps how strong he can be, since his worth isn't multiplied by how many Shards are in play, but the duration of his influence is directly related to how many charges he had in total and the variety of his utility is related to how many Shards are in play upon death.

This also validates much stronger-than-usual incapacitated abilities, since you paid for them during play and there's a finite number of uses of each.

The way I see it, you are otherwise going to, upon incapacitating, say, "You get to deal more damage; you get more card draw; and you get to live." Strategically, you'd give all the Shards to one hero, as the guy with the HP boost lives longer, you'd want him to have more options for a longer time and deal more damage in the meanwhile. By keeping all the Shards and choosing who benefits from them each round, you'll make more dynamic choices and mix it up a bit.

I feel like Pristine Synthesis should be more exciting. Something like increase damage dealt to and by Crystal Humunculus by 1 for every Shard with 5 cards or more under it could work well. This allows him to die faster in games where all hero targets are equally struck, or highest is the only target struck meaningfully (most games). This gives direct benefit to building multiple Shards.

I agree that you should benefit from cards being placed under Shards so that they are not just wasted plays hoping to pay off later. But those benefits need not be on the Shards themselves. Survival Instinct should work well, as-is. You can have other, separate Ongoings that read "when a card is placed under a Shard, do X." This keeps the Shards more dynamic, as you wouldn't feel compelled to keep charging the Shapeless Gem to keep a teammate alive now when you'd prefer to charge the Armored Shell for later. This also removes the text from the Shards that would be unnecessary one Humunculus goes down.

Shapeless Gem doesn't have a "Remove card from this for X" effect. I guess the idea was you wanted it charged more for the extra card play and keep the damage bonus static. I'd prefer "Power: Remove a card under this. If you do, you may play a card and use a power." Or you can make it a non-power effect "At the start of your turn, you may remove a card under this to play a card," but if all other Shards have powers on them, then y'know. You can still have the damage bonus on the card, just divorced from the discard effect. This is written, assuming you don't take my idea about keeping the Shards in front of the Humunculus player.

Finally, consider making the Shards indestructible (while Humunculus is in play?) or several turns of charging and beating yourself up can just vanish and you'd get nowhere vs. Miss Information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'ma amend my above post.

I think the incapacitated ability ought to be "You may use the power on each of your Shards." Get rid of the "Ignore Charged text" on the character card.

This does a few interesting things.

1. It allows the player to decide if he wants to stay alive and use the powers on the Shards while alive or take a dive and use them all at once each turn, giving more strength to being incapacitated, maintaining that you want to martyr yourself, but if you are (for some reason) the last standing hero, you can still perform.

1a. You'd be weaker while alive. Using a Shard's power costs a charge, so your late-game strength is lesser. But you are more versatile, as you have more options of powers to choose from.

1b. Once incapacitated, you have however many charges you have, so blowing through one on each Shard per round or using them sparingly keeps you as strong, but you can consolidate that strength to somewhat earlier in the game, giving incentive to downing yourself. As such, you'd want to use the innate power to add charges and get closer to incapacitation.

2. You remove the static effect from the character card and need no Set-Up card. Neither of these is taboo, but it is more elegant to avoid them.

3. The power level is back where you originally had it, in regards to being stronger for having more Shards in play when you drop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.