Subject: Suggestion for broadening the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello all.

Thus far, in my humble opinion, all of the current expansions have given this game extra depth and variation. The ability to start a campaign with different quarry and nemeses, or using one of the custom campaigns that some of the expansions offer, transform this game in to something new every time.

The weakest part of the game is the hunt. I have read that some people don't like the mechanics, but for me it's the fact that 101 events (the 100 in the book and the Lonely Tree card) just isn't enough. I find that any given campaign will have the same hunt event come up again and again.

As a suggestion, I think a new hunt event expansion would go a long way. This would comprise of a small booklet (same size as the current expansion booklets) that has 100 new hunt events. Along with it would be some basic hunt cards that ask the player to roll 1d100 and look in the new booklet. Half of the existing basic hunt cards would be replaced by these new hunt cards.

Such an expansion would only comprise of some cards and a booklet, meaning it wouldn't be too expensive, but almost doubling the hunt events would provide for each campaign to be more unique than they are now.

Am I alone in wishing for something like this? Anyone else like the idea of this sort of thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope the whole hunt phase will be one day replaced with some kind of dungeon crawly map, where the survivors can go to different areas, read events, find loot, maybe even fight some small monsters, until the final showdown happens against the end boss.
This is kind of what happens in the current hunt phase, but it's just too abstract for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always wanted a new hunt event table to roll on with 100 new events. I think in the earliest rumors for Dragon King there were whispers of a new hunt event table. Alas, nothing came to pass.

I like the hunt track as it is now. Like you OP, I just want to see expansion of the hunt events that can happen. 100 seems like a lot until you play as much as I do. I know a few just by the number (the really bad ones mostly and one good one).

Poots and co are sort of beefing up the hunt event track by releasing more basic hunt event cards though not in any major way. Now that I think of it there is probably a reason the basic hunt event cards were all the same. Adam likely wanted to/planned to put in other non-generic basic hunt event cards but was probably already stretched way too thin as it was in the game's initial development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I feel the hunt is the weakest part of the game, since it's just a bunch of y/n choices at best, and mostly just punishing insanity/heavy gear/occasional good/bad stuff. My group's been experimenting with making a more robust phase, but it's far too preliminary to get past that at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Poots mention expanding or fleshing out the hunt events in one of the GenCon video interviews?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Yeah, I feel the hunt is the weakest part of the game, since it's just a bunch of y/n choices at best, and mostly just punishing insanity/heavy gear/occasional good/bad stuff. My group's been experimenting with making a more robust phase, but it's far too preliminary to get past that at the moment.

The hunt is the weakest mechanically but its a crucial phase in terms of world building and story telling. All those brief glimpses you get mean so much to making Kingdom Death a cogent universe rather than just seemingly random battles against random monsters every year. I feel like my survivors are trudging through things and taking a journey just to find the monster.

Especially now with some expansions out I like the winks and nudges to the expansions. I think there is one that clearly hints it is a Sunstalker pool. Which makes me think of "The Pool and the Sun" story event from People of the Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Epidemius wrote:
The hunt is the weakest mechanically but its a crucial phase in terms of world building and story telling. All those brief glimpses you get mean so much to making Kingdom Death a cogent universe rather than just seemingly random battles against random monsters every year.

This is precisely why I'd love for there to be a hunt expansion. It's also the part of the game that's been expanded the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:
I really hope the whole hunt phase will be one day replaced with some kind of dungeon crawly map, where the survivors can go to different areas, read events, find loot, maybe even fight some small monsters, until the final showdown happens against the end boss.
This is kind of what happens in the current hunt phase, but it's just too abstract for my taste.

I like the idea. Hunting on a Map with forks in the path, but still event-based to be not exaggerately heavy (hey, I like my LYs to last AT MOST 2hrs, and that when the Settlement Phase is very long
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
iso250 wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
The hunt is the weakest mechanically but its a crucial phase in terms of world building and story telling. All those brief glimpses you get mean so much to making Kingdom Death a cogent universe rather than just seemingly random battles against random monsters every year.

This is precisely why I'd love for there to be a hunt expansion. It's also the part of the game that's been expanded the least.

I agree and I'd buy a hunt expansion in a second. I'd love more hunt events and a reason to use the basic hunt cards. Right now they stay in my box. It would also be nice if the hunt events were on cards or at very least out of the rulebook.

Hopefully the reprint goes to Kickstarter and reworking the hunt phase is a stretch goal or part of the 1.4 upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
First of all they should make a card for each hunt event instead of the table and remove the basic hunt cards we have today.
Secondly I think they should create a phone app. that is able to draw you a random hunt event. It could read the flavor text for you in a KD way, maybe even add some mood music.
It should be possible for users to submit suggestions for new hunt events through the app or their website. The suggestions they like they could add to the game, and write the card in a similar fashion as the existing cards to keep the language and the lore intact. It would be distributed imiditiatly to all users of the app.
They could then release hunt event expansion packs with physical cards when they have a sufficient number of new hunt events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the merits of the phone app (in WHQ:ST it's rather decent, even if I ended up making printouts of the heroes I used most), but for this particular game I'd rather have everything in its physical version. For two very valid reasons:

1. It costs enough to justify a printed version of every game content.
2. Physical components are integral to the experience in a miniatures game. I can justify to digitalize the parts that are frequently written and erased, but the actual game components should always be material ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I know a lot of people won't like this, but I think making a card for each hunt event is a bad idea.

As it is, 100 events isn't really enough, yet to convert the existing events in to cards results in a 100 card deck. Can you imagine adding more events? It will start to get unwieldy. Additionally, for those that sleeve their cards, the unwieldyness would blow out of control.

Have the next 100 events come out as a booklet and save having cards for events for occassions like the GenCon minis that came out. Or for expansions like the Lonely Tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
marcusnc wrote:

I like the choose your own adventures of the hunt phase. I thought I wouldn't, but I do. I hope the very opposite of you. The hunt phase gets more fleshed out and more dynamic (with a settlement morality system. I was thinking about how it could change what you're able to create or not based upon the morality of your survivors). I want more role playing in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G H

California
msg tools
iso250 wrote:
I know a lot of people won't like this, but I think making a card for each hunt event is a bad idea.

As it is, 100 events isn't really enough, yet to convert the existing events in to cards results in a 100 card deck. Can you imagine adding more events? It will start to get unwieldy. Additionally, for those that sleeve their cards, the unwieldyness would blow out of control.

Have the next 100 events come out as a booklet and save having cards for events for occassions like the GenCon minis that came out. Or for expansions like the Lonely Tree.

Also, some hunt events wouldn't fit on just one card unless the text was really small. I prefer the hunt table over the cards, I just wish the hunt table was separate from the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mollens wrote:
First of all they should make a card for each hunt event instead of the table and remove the basic hunt cards we have today.
Secondly I think they should create a phone app. that is able to draw you a random hunt event. It could read the flavor text for you in a KD way, maybe even add some mood music.
It should be possible for users to submit suggestions for new hunt events through the app or their website. The suggestions they like they could add to the game, and write the card in a similar fashion as the existing cards to keep the language and the lore intact. It would be distributed imiditiatly to all users of the app.
They could then release hunt event expansion packs with physical cards when they have a sufficient number of new hunt events.

No. Absolutely no freaking apps. Even if Poots himself designed the app to be the Cadillac of apps I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iso250 wrote:

I agree. I love charts and tables so I am all for another table of another 100 hunt events. Have basic hunt event cards that direct you to either roll on the table in the core book or the table in the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
Changing the events table to cards would not scale well at all.

Adding a few cards that points to new event table would be great.

An idea that could help, would be to divide the Events in levels, linked to the Quarry level.

This would mean lower rewards lower risk for low level quarries with some next tier events sprinkled in.

Also could make make L2 and L3 Quarries more interesting and rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panwuan wrote:

An idea that could help, would be to divide the Events in levels, linked to the Quarry level.

This would mean lower rewards lower risk for low level quarries with some next tier events sprinkled in.

I LOVE this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
panwuan wrote:

I LOVE this idea.

I'm not sure I like this. Right now it's scaled so that simply more events happen when hunting higher level quarries, which makes sense as it takes you longer to find a bigger monster and you have to travel further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh another thing I want to see is the settlement cards in color. I think it's a little tacky when everything else is in color. The artwork is really nice at the top and it's hard to see. With this every be redone? I highly doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Zenman12 wrote:
Oh another thing I want to see is the settlement cards in color. I think it's a little tacky when everything else is in color. The artwork is really nice at the top and it's hard to see. With this every be redone? I highly doubt it.

I'm in two minds about this. Whilst I think colour would look nice, I kinda think the black and white nature of the pictures makes them stand out.

I'd also hope that they build upon the hunt before adjusting things that are working great already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
iso250 wrote:
Zenman12 wrote:

I'm in two minds about this. Whilst I think colour would look nice, I kinda think the black and white nature of the pictures makes them stand out.

I'd also hope that they build upon the hunt before adjusting things that are working great already.

It's hard for me to make out the artwork. Which is unfortunate because I feel they did themselves a disservice by going this route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet Poots is already on top of this, and that we'll see some small, card-based mini expansions up in the store eventually.

A great idea though, that I would buy just as fast as I've bought all his cool promo stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Exo Desta wrote:
I bet Poots is already on top of this, and that we'll see some small, card-based mini expansions up in the store eventually.

A great idea though, that I would buy just as fast as I've bought all his cool promo stuff.

I'm with you in the fact that I would buy them as fast as they hit the store!

In the past I've been disappointed by game expansions as they either convolute the rules to the point where they're tedious or they try to add to much complexity to already complex games. This game so far hasn't fallen prey to that as each addition to the hunt and settlement phases have been additions that add content whilst still adhering to the existing rules.

The monsters being such a modular part of the game (I mean, each monster having its own decks that you swap in and out when you encounter them is brilliant) makes new additions easy to integrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've been thinking about my original idea and have come up with some improvements to it. This would be my dream expansion.

* 200 new basic hunt events.

* New cards that indicate whether you roll on the 101-200 or 201-300 hunt events table. (2/3rds of the old basic hunt cards are removed from the game and replaced with the new ones.)

* The new book would include the original 100 basic hunt events, so you don't have to look in multiple places.

Sure, this might sound like a lot of work with a little duplication, but KD:M has shown itself to be a game of highly finished work, not cobbled together rubbish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.