Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Deluxe Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike H
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Taking into account other LCGs, is buying the AH:TCG base set and then only Deluxe Expansions likely to be a workable strategy?

I have no experience of LCGs but the Arkham Horror theme is very appealing. I would be playing exclusively 1 or 2 player.

I can imagine buying the base set and then perhaps every 6 months or so being interested in supplementing scenarios, characters etc. However, I am not hugely attracted to buying a card pack each month. It is not a cost issue, rather the high likelihood that my gaming partner and I will struggle to keep up with handling an ongoing flow of loads of differing card options.

Based on peoples' experience of LOTR etc, is the base set plus Deluxe Expansions approach likely to provide a cohesive but still 'living' card game experience?

Grateful for views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is likely each Mythos Pack will contain a scenerio that continues the campaign started in the core set or the deluxe expansions. Each campaign being concluded with the 6th Mythos pack. So if you want to keep us with the story then you might need them. This is all speculation though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say a tentative...Yeees?

We just don't know enough yet about the structure of the expansions to make definitive statements. I'm expecting each deluxe to maybe kick off a new possible campaign, sort of the same way LOTR has moved more towards story telling over the arc of the cycle. But you would expect the deluxe boxes to provide a good set of player cards and a smaller internal arc at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said, it is hard to tell since ...well, not even the base game is out.

Speculation from previous LCGs would suggest that a campaign will be a deluxe set + 6 APs in that order.

Anothr issue to take into account is that deluxe expansions normally focus in one clan/faction/whatever whereas APs are mostly balanced. So, the first deluxe will bring 20 new cards for say, the combat group and have no cards for the other groups. This will give you a lot of options for some investigators, but bring few options for the rest.

Of course, all of this is pure speculation. I say you try the game first and see if you like it. If you do, you will want to buy all the APs, since otherwise you will have to wait for a year between any two deluxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best guess we can make is that it will be similar to Lord of the Rings.

If that is true, you can buy just the deluxe expansions but I wouldn't consider this a good strategy. The reasons are two:

1. You're effectively getting the first chapter of each "book" and not the remaining chapters that make it into a campaign

2. The method in LotR is that you're sort of investing in a cycle by buying the deluxe expansion that kicks it off. It contains sets of encounter cards that will be used over and over by the remaining packs in the cycle. If you buy only the deluxe you're not getting the value of reusing these making it an inefficient buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem is that we don't know (to my knowledge) when the upgraded cards show up in each cycle. Do you get all levels of a card in one pack? Or is it gradual over a cycle? If you get one card at level one in the deluxe, and the rest are contained in that deluxe's corresponding packs, then your cards wouldn't scale with the harder scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only question is why would you want to skip ahead to the deluxe packs instead of just buying everything in order at a slower pace?

If it is like the LotR LCG, the monthly packs will be pretty easy to digest. There aren't that many different player cards to learn every month, and chances are a lot of them are not going to be of immediate interest to you if you don't want to build a deck that uses them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I'll be approaching this the same way I did the LotR LCG: Start with the core (full playset), maybe get the first cycle of packs, and then see how I want to continue. In the case of LotR I stopped there and sold what I had. After nearly 200 plays across the cycle I was satisfied and decided to move on.

Your mileage may vary.

If the first cycle of Arkham gets me even half that many plays, I'll be happy. To be fair, I am very much into deck construction, so an ever expanding card pool is exciting rather than off-putting to me. That said, the number of player cards each pack contained was minimal; most of it was comprised of scenario cards. I'm not sure if that's going to be the case with Arkham, but I'd hazard a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Thanks to all for their responses.

I appreciate that we don't yet know for sure how AH:TCG will shape up in terms of Mythos Packs and Deluxe Expansions but as someone with no LCG background the feedback was very useful.

My take-away points are:

1) I could adopt the 'core set plus Deluxe Expansions' approach but there may in practice be reasons why that is not so optimal (e.g. Deluxe Expansions potentially providing cards which are most ideally employed in related Mythos Packs);

2) Jonathan's approach of (assuming I enjoy the core set) getting the first cycle and then seeing if I want to keep going all in, bail out or something in the middle, makes a lot of sense.

I look forward to getting hold of the core set later this year and seeing where that takes me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Alexander
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
As others have said, it is likely that each deluxe expansion will be only the first part of a story/campaign that the next cycle will conclude. So what I would recommend is buying all of a given campaign (both a deluxe expansion and the corresponding small packs), but only buying the campaigns that most interest you. That would keep your card pool manageable while still giving you the full experience. (And you could artificially spread out your purchases to your liking if you give the release schedule a head start.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzmikester wrote:
Taking into account other LCGs, is buying the AH:TCG base set and then only Deluxe Expansions likely to be a workable strategy?

No. Don't fool yourself. You gotta have it all!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Jazzmikester wrote:

No. Don't fool yourself. You gotta have it all!

Bye
Thanee
It's not quite the same, but I bought into LoTR with Saga expansions only and found that it didn't work for me - I didn't have the experience necessary to make use of the card sets that I had. It really felt as though they weren't really "stand alone" expansions - at least not for beginners. So I'd be worried that the same would be true for AH:TCG. On the other hand, I'll be fully invested as long as the core set seems fun, so the decision is moot in my case. All or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I have with competitive LCGs is if you lag on getting new stuff, you will fall behind everyone else and won't be able to compete, or even recognize newer cards. So you either keep up or stop playing, or keep playing just with the few friends that keep your same pace, but this third option is more wishful thinking than something actually doable.

AH will not be competitive, all you have to do is to keep up with yourself and the few people you play with, so I think the best you can do is just follow the normal release order but buying the packs at your own pace. That's what I plan to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vittek wrote:
The problem I have with competitive LCGs is if you lag on getting new stuff, you will fall behind everyone else and won't be able to compete, or even recognize newer cards. So you either keep up or stop playing, or keep playing just with the few friends that keep your same pace, but this third option is more wishful thinking than something actually doable.

AH will not be competitive, all you have to do is to keep up with yourself and the few people you play with, so I think the best you can do is just follow the normal release order but buying the packs at your own pace. That's what I plan to do.
Yup, you might even get the benefit of errors being addressed in reprints if you lag behind sufficiently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.