Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JM Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb

Dice Coins are a completely new take on dice. They work just as well as regular gaming dice but allow amazing artwork to be displayed on each one. They can also be used as stat counters and markers.

Designed to military challenge coin standards.
Made from solid brass.
Each coins weighs over 2 ounces.
Coins are 2 inches (50.8 mm) in diameter.
Epoxy coating protects the artwork.
Plastic protective sleeve comes with each coin.
Just as accurate as regular gaming dice.
Dice Coins come in d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20

The common side of the coin has a knob molded into the metal. Players use one or two hands to spin the coin like a top. Once the coin is spinning at full speed (which just takes a second), the player puts their finger at the bottom of the coin and stops it.

The result is the number displayed in the first visible sector to the left of the player's finger. A sector is considered visible if you can completely see both of the sector lines surrounding the number. It is that simple.

Dice Coins is currently on kickstarter and you can see a video of the coins in action and learn more about their accuracy and other details. The link is below. Thank you for reading the post.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1719872687/dice-coins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Pretty doggone neat. This may be my third Kickstart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. If you had the indentations without the numbers in the, I would think my finger would catch on indentation, and that would efectively eliminate edge cases, But you have raised digits in those indentations, which interferes with that effect, especialy for bigger numbers. Digits indented further, or offset to the inside would be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian laing
United States
san carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look very cool! Just backed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback and backing.

Regarding the edge, your finger never actually catches when you spin. The issue we dealt with was having your finger in between numbers, partially covering numbers, on the line, etc.

Another issue was two digit vs single digit numbers. If we would have used the first completely visible number, we would have had some variances since two digit numbers take up more physical space then single digits.

These things drove us crazy.

After weighing a lot of pros and cons, the method that worked best was using the result in the first fully visible sector to the left of your finger. That way we could also use symbols, words, etc.

So what is fully visible was the next question. We defined it as being able to completely see both sector lines. Sounds complicated at first but you spin the coin two or three times and you instantly get it and it works well.

I am still digesting your points. Very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason why the C6 looses the universal rule of opposing sides adding up to 7? As in a normal D6.
Valid for the other coins, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably back for one 20-sided coin for the fun of it, but I don't see much need for a whole set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Any reason why the C6 looses the universal rule of opposing sides adding up to 7? As in a normal D6.
Valid for the other coins, too.

They seem to use two or three incrementing number sequences that alternate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Have we seen all the art? That will make a difference in my decision to buy.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.

It looks like it is just the three images - the sorceress for the d8 and d20, the warrior for the d6 and d10, and the lizard man for the d4 and the d12. Is that the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback and taking time to read the post.

Regarding the number placement...

One of the goals was to allow this to be used as a stat counter by rotating the coin and reading the bottom number. I staggered the placement of the numbers to eliminate any confusion on what number was being displayed on the bottom.

Regarding the artwork...

The major expense of this project is high quality artwork. On these prototype coins I am "reusing" the artwork from another project just for the prototype coins. It would be cheap to use artwork from one project to another and I don't plan on doing that. If the project is successful I will use the same artists or the same caliber of artist for this set of coins. Each coin will have different artwork. All of that is listed on the kickstarter.

The theme will be classic fantasy. Future sets can be sci fi, steampunk, horror, etc.

Once again, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea, good luck with the campaign. The games I play (mostly Euro or family games) only need d6. For me it would be ideal to select which coins I want instead of purchasing a full set. I assume many people think the same and you can collect way more money if you have lower tiers with less dice for those willing to tey without spending $35.

Another thing is individualization. Are the artworks stickers on the coins or is it another technique? Because if they are stickers, maybe allow us to do this ourselves and let us choose from several motives?

I would be very interested in such a coin if it wasn't high fantasy on the illustrations. Something more friendly would be appealing to me. Or maybe an ornament, a pattern, something universal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Daniel.

You have a good point on the tier levels. I think you are correct. Unfortunately once you launch you can't change the rewards on a KS.

I was kind of in a catch 22. Needed the kickstarter to fund the new artwork so the economics seemed to work better this way. But in hindsight maybe just offering a d6 and d20 would have worked better. Cheaper to get into and most people use d6 and d20.

The artwork is not stickers. That method is used on custom poker chips, etc. It works pretty well but not super durable.

The artwork on these are printed on a very thin metal plate, glued to the coin which essentially melts it into the metal and bonds it, and then epoxy is added. The result is much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmward wrote:
Thank you Daniel.

You have a good point on the tier levels. I think you are correct. Unfortunately once you launch you can't change the rewards on a KS.

Yes you can Trust me, I have done it myself. The only thing you can't do is editing existing pledge levels as long as these are still chosen by backers.

What you can do:
1. add new pledge levels
2. remove pledge levels as soon as they are backed by 0 backers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Daniel. I am going to play with the numbers and see if I can make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.