Subject: Wulfsberg..? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Should I buy Wulfsberg along with Black Plague?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it has the Black Plague label on it, you should buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good. More survivor variety is a big plus. The extra dashboards and starting equipment for 7+ player games may be good if that's your group size. The wolfz make the game noticeably harder, while the magic items make it easier. That balance can swing either way on a gam-to-game basis, but you're getting strong additional variety no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely buy it, but if you are playing through the scenarios in order, don't add the new equipment or the wolves until you have finished the 10 scenarios in the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:

Vampire Crossbow.... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falseemp wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

Vampire Crossbow.... ;-)

Is that a plus or a minus in your book ? whistle

Just looking at the Vampire Crossbow card, and other unbalanced weapons, I knew Wulfsburg wasn't for me. The clunky tower rules didn't do much to decide me either.

The wolves are meh. they replace the runners as the fast-moving menace and force a power creep on the game (you need the survivors to be stronger to face them, so you give them new tools, which means in turn that runners are less of a problem than before). In my opinion, that does more bad than good. In comparison, the Deadeye Walkers (Separate box) are brilliant; they introduce a new menace type which doesn't overshadow existing ones.

The main selling point of the expansion, to me, is that not owning it will prevent you from playing quite a few of the custom scenarios designed and posted online (those that use tower tiles).

Of course, your mileage may vary, there are plenty of people that like the epicness of the wulfsburg weapons. You'll have to decide based on what you're searching for in this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind the Magic items from Wolvesburg have broken crystals, so they can't be used at blue and some can't be used at yellow or even orange... Finding them early wastes a search and an inventory slot, sometimes for quite a while.

Personably I LOVE Wolvesburg and what it adds to the game. I think the highest priority for what to add is more heroes, so Wolvesburg, herobox1, artist boxes, or Kickstarter. The next objective is threat diversity, Wolvesburg or deadeye walkers are best here, crowz or NPC1 or 2 are passable. The third is tools, NPC boxes both add Vault items and Wolvesburg adds magic items.

As you can see Wolvesburg hits all the targets. Sadly it doesn't add necros... bit then with the current dark ritual rule that may be a good thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Yes, definitely buy it, but if you are playing through the scenarios in order, don't add the new equipment or the wolves until you have finished the 10 scenarios in the main game.

Agree and disagree.
Get it, definitely. But I'd just mix it all together. No reason not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.