Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
me and my cousin play a lot of this...w/ coffee expansion...

this game is too good... even with a few luck factor still it is very competitive..

as of now...This is the only game i rated 10 stars of all the hundred of games i already knew...

We want to play more!!!!

and we are exited to get the letters and seals expansion soon!

can we play this online? anyone knows where?

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should share the wealth of your knowledge by giving us your strategy feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@beanieboy007

ok. I am quite not good at this but i'll try.

1st off, i already played about 50+ games of istanbul and about 20+ of that is with coffee expansion. about 85% of all those game were 2 player game. and we use the kebab shop (proxy) instead of fountain. using tactical variant and random layout (using the tournament random layout setting) most of the time i play against my cousin, we always had a blast! We keep improving every game. we think we are on a point where if you misplay a bit you will lose, and we both always feel that we are fast in collected rubies and the other is fast too.

we also play 5 player game, me, my cousin and 3 other casual players, after few games, the other 3 didnt stand a chance. in those games either me or my cousin go 1st and 2nd. so me and my cousin ended up not to join with those 3 anymore. so those casual player can enjoy and learn more of istanbul =)

So here are the strategies we learned:
1. in 2 player it is a very interactive game = you really need to watch out the your opponent doing and try to block him if possible without stalling your self to your goal

2. try to mosque rush if you can in your early turns = t1 warehouse, t2 mosque (depends on layout, where you can use police station in either this 2 turns) and try to get the other mosque tile asap so you can get a ruby. this can also be done in post office instead of warehouse if you have the right starting bonus card.

In our experience the 1st player has this advantage. so being the 2nd player you need to try to block the 1st player by grabbing the other mosque tile if you can.

most of our games If you manage to get a mosque ruby even with only 1 mosque ruby its GG. the other guy will end up catching up a lot. so this is really crucial to us.

3. Abuse post office if it is one of the center places. keep going back here if possible without paying the other guy 2 lira. This place is so good! just manage your goods well so if wont overflow. Go here spend those goods somewhere (mosques, sultan, market) and go back here again. rinse and repeat. and even more excellent if you have the 2X post office bonus card.

4. try to deliver goods in sultan early = try to deliver those 5,6,7 and 8 goods if you can. (you can do this without a wainwright upgrade)

5. in a 2 player game. the wainwright upgrade is our least priority. you will waste lot of turns, 21 lira, for just 1 ruby? yea we know when you will go to warehouse you can carry more goods with it, but in a very competitive game this is a waste of time.

6. guild cards are good. in a very competitive 2p game, most of the time you will end up half of both mosque tiles. but if you grab the mosque tile guild card it will solve your problem without getting a wainwright upgrade(see mosque rush above). this 2 mosque guild cards are excellent.. it means 1 less ruby to your goal, and you can keep it a secret until the time you really need it and surprise your opponent and grab the win. other guild cards are good too, just play it in the right time at its fullest. also it is always an good move to use the guild card when you know your opponent want to go to the place where you are currently standing.

7. use kebab shop - this place is so good too, b4 kebab shop.. we almost never visit the fountain (if you are a good player, you dont need the fountain =) ). but with kebab shop it save you time and abuse more excellent places. (Example turns: post office -> kebab shop (using post office again) -> sultan -> post office again -> kebab shop (using post office again or a ware house, depends on what you need -> then sultan again)

istanbul is really a very very rich game and there are still lot of things to consider in this game, but i think these are my priorities. most of the time your game plan to get 6 rubies is from (according to priority) 1 or 2 mosques tiles, 2-4 sultan, 1-2 coffee house, 0-2 gemstone dealer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dchamp wrote:
me and my cousin play a lot of this...w/ coffee expansion...

this game is too good... even with a few luck factor still it is very competitive..

as of now...This is the only game i rated 10 stars of all the hundred of games i already knew...

We want to play more!!!!

and we are exited to get the letters and seals expansion soon!

can we play this online? anyone knows where?

thanks.

You should read the rules for the expansion and watch your excitement explode tenfold.

https://www.pegasusshop.de/spielregeln/4250231709425_en.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.