Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea that we have been playing with is adding Enemy Commanders to Tiger Leader and Sherman Leader. A die roll would be determined if a Commander applies to the Battalion being attacked.

Polish Commander Prototype cards are below.

The Battalion movement would either be Offensive or Defensive, ,with special Movement instructions for certain unit types. Also, some of the Battalion counters may be replaced with others. Also, some of the Counter values would be replaced with values corresponding to specific equipment used by that country.

Any thoughts on the concept? Any other interesting ideas that could be added to the Commander cards?

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this idea very interesting on how the "commanders" would change the Allied Attacking Units. From what I understand there would be a "DIE ROLL" to determine "IF" a Commander is used in the attacking force. If the die roll fails, then NO Commander is used and the game would be played as normal; is that right? They surely could make the game more difficult. Probably should be used when you have more game experience?

Also, would there be Commanders for each of the Allied forces? How many Commanders for each force would there be to keep the game playing different?

Nice idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting idea, but I'd also suggest different behaviors for these Commanders. (A la Sid Meier's Gettysburg! or the more contemporary Civil War game release, Ultimate General Gettysburg)

From Least Aggressive to Most Aggressive/Least to Most Strategic
Prudent
Opportunist
Hazardous
Indirect
Flexible
Direct
Shrewd
Resolute
Decisive

And do try to make the factions that these commanders serve act as they did historically - No one wants the Poles going on a gung-ho offensive as they've been doing in the Pre-Update Kit game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback!

I was thinking maybe 6 commanders per country. I was proposing a die roll for a commander, with normal play without one. Like the thought of making it more advanced.

The goal would be to tailor the equipment and overall feel to correspond with the original battle responses.

I like approaching it from a trait perspective, but I feel I'm limited with what aspects of the Tactical battle can be changed.

We were thinking of having an Offensive movement chart and a Defensive movement chart that provides a little more control over the feel for the war front and country (I.e. Poland would be mostly defensive). And the Commanders would reflect this.

Any thoughts on other Tactical Battle changes to better represent different traits? They need to be fairly simple changes.

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!

I was thinking maybe 6 commanders per country. I was proposing a die roll for a commander, with normal play without one. Like the thought of making it more advanced.

The goal would be to tailor the equipment and overall feel to correspond with the original battle responses.

I like approaching it from a trait perspective, but I feel I'm limited with what aspects of the Tactical battle can be changed.

We were thinking of having an Offensive movement chart and a Defensive movement chart that provides a little more control over the feel for the war front and country (I.e. Poland would be mostly defensive). And the Commanders would reflect this.

Any thoughts on other Tactical Battle changes to better represent different traits? They need to be fairly simple changes.

Dean

Also, you folks might want to also adjust the units displayed on cards to reflect the AP/HE attacks as well. And here's also hoping you folks can make some counters with colors that are neutral or reflective of the participating countries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
One idea that we have been playing with is adding Enemy Commanders to Tiger Leader and Sherman Leader. A die roll would be determined if a Commander applies to the Battalion being attacked.

Polish Commander Prototype cards are below.

The Battalion movement would either be Offensive or Defensive, ,with special Movement instructions for certain unit types. Also, some of the Battalion counters may be replaced with others. Also, some of the Counter values would be replaced with values corresponding to specific equipment used by that country.

Any thoughts on the concept? Any other interesting ideas that could be added to the Commander cards?

Dean

And another thing - Don't make units under a defensive commander advance, either have them hunker down in cover or stay put if they can't attack, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do need to go through the update kit again to make sure everything is compatible.

Regarding Defensive movement, I don't believe that everything needs to be hunkered down for that. Offensive or Defensive doesn't purely mean all units moving towards or away (or holding) units. Some combination of movement seems appropriate for either one.

On the Defensive Commander cards, there are specialized units that advance until contact is made, with the remaining units tending to hold (although they might wiggle some).

But I agree that having most of the units advance regardless of contact to close probably isn't "Defensive".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Or make my suggestion of multiple Commander behaviors [the ones I suggested] as a Kickstarter goal!

Quote:
From Least Aggressive to Most Aggressive/Least to Most Strategic
Prudent
Opportunist
Hazardous
Indirect
Flexible
Direct
Shrewd
Resolute
Decisive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
And when can we expect Sherman Leader's Kickstarter to commence, Dean? The rest of the new entries can't wait forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grandvp124_seraph wrote:
And when can we expect Sherman Leader's Kickstarter to commence, Dean? The rest of the new entries can't wait forever.

Not sure. I'm just helping Rick and Dan out with the Commander cards.

Does anyone else have any comments on the cards??? Looking for feedback now before we go very far.

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
grandvp124_seraph wrote:

Not sure. I'm just helping Rick and Dan out with the Commander cards.

Does anyone else have any comments on the cards??? Looking for feedback now before we go very far.

Dean

It may be a little late, but the Commanders' Unit Stats MUST be compatible with the AP/HE Attack rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.