Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, people have enjoyed two player games, although officially this is not an option. After a regular Three Player Second Game lasting 4 hours and 14 minutes with two new players, one decided to leave, and two of us experimented with a much shorter (2 hour?) Two Player game.

We made some interesting decisions about how to do it:

1. Although we wanted to play a shorter than usual game, we did not use any of the Accelerated Rules, or push the Home Systems closer together. We figured that the game would automatically be shorter than any Three Player, and this proved correct.

2. Most people have suggested suspending the Trade Agreement Rule, but we decided to keep it, although we did not use it. Its possible that early on both sides might want to boost their incomes in this manner for future conflict.

3. We left Superiority Victory in (taking the enemy home system). This is much easier to do in a two player game, since there is only one Home System to take. This is in fact how the Federation beat the Klingons. However, should be left in as a victory option, since it can lead to a runaway victory and very short game?

It only happened because of an odd exploration, which saw the Klingon fleet played by me running from the Exploration Crisis card"Neutronic Wave Front. " This lead me to connect to soon to the Federation territory than I should have done, wherupon they whipped me in a battle. From which I could not recover.

Since we'll have to make up our own protocols about which rules to use for unofficial Two Player games, what do people suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1.Removing trade agreements helps the Romulans since it removes their drawback. So you have to leave them in, don't use Romulans, or give them another drawback.

2. I like keeping the superiority victory. In fact I think a two player game should just be an elimination game. Start farther apart (maybe 24") to give each side time to explore and build up. You can still gain ascendancy tokens but can't win that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedran Bileta
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone else making the addition for the two player variant? I am planning to buy it and play with my wife (as we are both ST fans), but we do not have many friends who share our passion. We may occasionaly get third one, but the fourth, fifth. That could be tricky. So please, share your 2 player ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veki wrote:
Anyone else making the addition for the two player variant? I am planning to buy it and play with my wife (as we are both ST fans), but we do not have many friends who share our passion. We may occasionaly get third one, but the fourth, fifth. That could be tricky. So please, share your 2 player ideas.

my girl an i play 2 player all the time. no changes its just loads of fun. i do feel the experience is not as good as 3 player but mechanically it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedran Bileta
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you make any houserule. And how did you replace the mechanisms such as diplomacy and trade agreements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veki wrote:
Did you make any houserule. And how did you replace the mechanisms such as diplomacy and trade agreements?

no actual change in rules but the trades just dont really get used, neither one of us has ever decided to start a trade. the 2 player game is different. there is no one to check a runaway leader, and trade/diplomacy is non existant, but we still enjoy it, you just have to keep those facts in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
With Supremacy Victory, I think you technically have to adapt that rule to fit a 2-player version. As written, it requires 3 home systems to be taken which you wouldn't have in a 2-player game. I'm guessing that even in a 4+ player game, you'd still only have to have 3 systems to win. (That's a guess based on the way the Supremacy rule was written).

The easiest, most natural thing to do is to just say: Supremacy now only requires 2 home systems, but if you wanted to keep the 3 system rule, I suppose you could setup the 3rd player system normally, but skip that player's turn completely. To win with Supremacy, one of you would have to link up and then kill the 3rd system's 3 ships and take over the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think you need a 3rd party or a system that simulates a 3rd party in that. So what got me thinking is looking at the Bajorans, to be honest they weren't anything more than a Galactic 3rd world nations being under Cardasian occupation until the Provisional government. But thanks to the its proximity of the wormhole and the nomadic nature of its people Bajor had become a key place in the Galaxy.

So in a two player game you can place the Bajoran Occupational Government down as a 3rd planet and the other two players will have an objective concerning that player with say a resistance deck to attack those that occupy it. It could send ships out to raid those nearby or set out explorations depending on a bajoran action deck of what this neutral party is going to do.

In a 3+ player game the Bajoran Provisional Government would be jut another playable faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.